Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY
hah
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(04-27-2018, 09:27 PM)Donovan Wrote: The interesting takeaway from his Fox rant was twofold: 1) he undercut his legal defense that he was uninvolved with the Stormy Daniels situation by flat stating that Cohen represented him in that matter. You may not care who he fucked, but the payoff, if it can be proved to come from, be reimbursed by, or otherwise related to Trump campaign funds prior to the election...is illegal on a federal level. Prision.

This is my understanding as well, except that probation and a fine could be an alternative to prison if a guilty plea/verdict is rendered.

Something I didn't consider til this week: it's also considered a "campaign donation" if Cohen used his own money to pay off off Daniels (and/or others) in attempt to silence her and help Trump get elected......even if the payoff money had no connection to campaign funds.

The $130k is well above the campaign donation limit for individuals and would be considered a violation of campaign finance laws. The intent behind the payoff would need to be proven as being to help Trump win the election though, which might be difficult (if there's nothing in writing or on tape) since Cohen has claimed publicly that his intent was to protect Melania and Trumps' kids from getting hurt by Daniels' story.

If the intent of the payoff is shown to be affecting the election and Trump knew about it, Trump would be on the hook for campaign finance violations along with Cohen, even if the money does not trace back to campaign funds.
(04-27-2018, 09:27 PM)Donovan Wrote: 2) He further undercut his legal defense by insisting that Michael Cohen was not his lawyer in any sense and only represented him in business matters. Hannity did the same thing. However, this bad attempt to minimize his role, just like Trump did with all the other current indictees, means that most of the seized documents and recorded phone calls from Cohen's offices are NOT PROTECTED by client attorney privilege, Neither is any of the dirt on Hannity. Further, since Trump is steadily trashing Cohen as a wannabe and bit player, Cohen is much more likely to flip as he is facing serious prison time. Word is he was hurt and pissed he didn't get to be the first Chief of Staff.

It will be interesting to see what the former federal judge who's been assigned as the Special Master determines. She'll review of all of the seized materials for attorney-client privilege before anything gets handed to prosecutors.

I don't know how much jeopardy Trump is in when it comes to the Stormy Daniels matter or the criminal investigation into Cohen's business dealings. But, I'd be extremely surprised if Michael Cohen isn't indicted and ultimately convicted in the criminal matter, just based on where things stand with Cohen now.

In regards to the Stormy Daniels civil suit, the judge has delayed it for at least 90 days so that Cohen's not forced to disclose anything in the civil deposition that could be used against him in the NY criminal case.
The new edition of the National Enquirer features this cover.

[Image: donald-trump-michael-cohen-scandals-F.jp...C400&ssl=1]

The National Enquirer is the tabloid rag that's owned by Trump's good friend and staunch supporter. It's also the publication that bought Karen McDougal's story and ultimately quashed it after having obtained exclusive rights under Non-disclosure Agreement.

It's looking to some like Trump's powerful circle of supporters are already trying to position Cohen as a liar in anticipation of him flipping on Trump. We'll see.

Given who owns that rag, that story wouldn't be out there without the blessing of trump. Setting him up as a liar is exactly what they're doing.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(04-29-2018, 03:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: In regards to the Stormy Daniels civil suit, the judge has delayed it for at least 90 days so that Cohen's not forced to disclose anything in the civil deposition that could be used against him in the NY criminal case.

Did you read that the judge you referred to ^^^^^ said that an indictment was likely?
(04-29-2018, 05:31 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 03:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: In regards to the Stormy Daniels civil suit, the judge has delayed it for at least 90 days so that Cohen's not forced to disclose anything in the civil deposition that could be used against him in the NY criminal case.

Did you read that the judge you referred to ^^^^^ said that an indictment was likely?

I didn't know the judge made that prediction. It kind of surprises me that she'd make such a public comment. But, I think most people following the story assume an indictment is imminent considering how much probable cause would have been required for the NY prosecutors to obtain the no-knock search warrants against Cohen.

Anyway, I think the judge made the right and fair call in delaying the Daniels' civil case.

And, I suspect Daniels' attorney is highly disappointed. Avenatti seems well-versed on all aspects of the law and court proceedings; he's gotta be aware that his client's case will most likely be delayed substantially longer than 90 days given the volume and significance of potential criminal evidence gathered in the search of Cohen's office and residence.
(04-29-2018, 05:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I didn't know the judge made that prediction. It kind of surprises me that she'd make such a public comment.

It IS surprising, isn't it. I'm going to see if I can find it, see if I can discover if it was someone speculating or if it's a fact.

Here it is -

I enclosed a few sources in case anyone found one or more of them unacceptable as a source.

When a federal judge granted a motion requesting a 90-day stay in a civil lawsuit brought by an adult film actress against President Donald Trump, he said he made the decision because it was "likely" Trump's longtime lawyer, Michael Cohen, could be indicted.

Story

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...559805002/
(04-29-2018, 06:16 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 05:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I didn't know the judge made that prediction. It kind of surprises me that she'd make such a public comment.

It IS surprising, isn't it. I'm going to see if I can find it, see if I can discover if it was someone speculating or if it's a fact.

It's a little unusual for a judge to make such a prediction in a public proceeding. But, Cohen's legal predicaments are unusual as well.

I just searched and read about the decision and found the judge's statement of opinion you referenced.

"This is no simple criminal investigation; it is an investigation into the personal attorney of a sitting President regarding documents that might be subject to the attorney client privilege," Otero wrote. "Whether or not an indictment is forthcoming, and the Court thinks it likely based on these facts alone, these unique circumstances counsel in favor of stay."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...story.html
Thank you for the links Duchess; I was posting at the same time.

I see now that the judge in the Daniels' civil case is male; I wrongly referred to that judge as a female in my posts upthread.

Anyway, the civil court judge didn't break any laws/protocols in stating the obvious and I understand why he wanted to make it crystal clear that there was a very compelling reason to delay Daniels' case.

Cohen's in some deep shit.
(04-29-2018, 05:29 PM)Duchess Wrote: Given who owns that rag, that story wouldn't be out there without the blessing of trump. Setting him up as a liar is exactly what they're doing.

No doubt about it. The National Enquirer is positioning Cohen as a dirty liar and Trump as a proven truth-teller.

[Image: donald-trump-michael-cohen-scandals-F.jp...C400&ssl=1]

I got curious and read the "TRUMP PASSED POLYGRAPH PROVING NO RUSSIA COLLUSION!!!" article. Predictably, it's complete bullshit.

President Trump has not taken a polygraph test in regards to Russian collusion. The National Enquirer only quotes an operative from a voice stress analysis company who claims that one of Trump's thousands of public proclamations of "no collusion!" shows no deception.

The research into those analyses shows they are accurate 50% of the time, even when administered properly and directly to the person (same as a coin toss).

Almost every single day I have to remind myself that that crap is directed towards those who support this administration because they are the only people who will believe it.
(04-30-2018, 12:25 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Almost every single day I have to remind myself that that crap is directed towards those who support this administration because they are the only people who will believe it.

I get what you're saying.

But, I actually support the administration, in the sense that I truly want our executive branch to succeed in doing the best for our country.

So, I don't think everyone who supports the administration believes the lame propaganda and obvious lies pushed by the President and his allies.

It's just the ignorant extremists and Trump-worshipers (fearful followers who also consider themselves victims and targets of 'others', no matter how good they actually have it) who buy into that ludicrous crap, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the ignorant extremists and cultish worshipers amount to millions of people in the U.S.A....................for now.
The NY Times got and released a list of 4 dozen questions Mueller intended to ask Donald Trump in deposition. A detailed breakdown can be found here:
http://twitter.com/aliasvaughn/status/99...96064?s=19
She does a very good job in detail, almost HotD levels of insight, while explaining why this is explosive and important. The gist:
1. The questions almost have to come from Mueller's team or with his blessing. They are too detailed and specific to be anything that he would have provided to Trump's legal team. The times denies it was Mueller but that doesn't mean he didn't approve it.

2. The release of the questions means Mueller thinks he won't be interviewing Trump in deposition, so a grand jury indictment will be coming.

3. The release also tacitly gives the press a "treasure map" of exactly what he knows, what he's looking at, and exactly where they should start digging for more.

4. The focus on his malicious treatment of Jeff Sessions, James Comey, Rod Rosenstein, means without saying that these men are cooperating allies of Mueller, including Sessions. They wouldn't be asking questions they didn't already have answers to.

5. The questions indicate the impending shift from witness to target for Trump. Mueller has what he needs. Probably from Cohen's files. There is stuff in the questions which was not public knowledge, like the fact that Cohen was brokering deals to establish backchannel comms with Russia and had detailed plans in his possession.

6. The public release of this data means Mueller and Trump are entering endgame status. Expect things to start blowing up with frightening speed. Russia knows it, which is why Putin approved his spy admitting she was a spy. Trump knows it which is why his behavior has been so erratic. Pence knows it which is why he had his own physician report Trump's doctor forethical concerns and got him ousted from the White House, never mind his foolish nomination for the VA. And the Republicans know it which is why so many are bailing while they can.

There will be blood. And it isn't over by a long measure.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(05-01-2018, 09:01 AM)Donovan Wrote: Probably from Cohen's files. There is stuff in the questions which was not public knowledge, like the fact that Cohen was brokering deals to establish backchannel comms with Russia and had detailed plans in his possession.

The trump campaign has paid over 14 million in Michael Cohen's legal fees. Apparently that is going to create some issues as well. It's okay to pay trump's legal fees and trump Jr's. (out of that fund) but it's not okay to pay Cohen's. I don't know how that works but I'd like to!

Why is trump so eager to shut down all this stuff if he's an innocent man?
Because the Russian mob ties go back a decade or more and he could very easily get RICO'd. Mueller is a Mobster hunter. He knows where to look.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
(05-01-2018, 07:25 PM)Donovan Wrote: Because the Russian mob ties go back a decade or more and he could very easily get RICO'd. Mueller is a Mobster hunter. He knows where to look.

Did you hear about trump's goons going into his Dr.'s office and forcefully taking trump's medical records? Isn't that robbery?

...and since when did patients get to dictate to their Dr? Ahahahaha!