Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ARREST MADE: Abigail Hernandez, 15, Missing/Returned Safe - New Hampshire
The Probable Cause hearing is set to occur sometime in the next 30 days; no specific date established yet AFAIK.

The statement released by Hernandez's legal representatives yesterday looks like a public relations strategy to quash speculation that Abby was with Kibby willingly.

I don't really understand that move, personally. And, I think I'd be a little pissed about it if I were a prosecutor in the case.

Coyne told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he "would expect that there will be further charges consistent with the evidence in the case." -- -- Well, the only charge against Kibby thus far into the investigation is kidnap; no assault, no rape, nothing to indicate evidence of violence at this time.

Coyne said, "We do not intend to have this case tried in the press." -- Well, then, why release allegations against the suspect to the media, allegations which have not been made by law enforcement?

Coyne said they put out the statement to shield Hernandez and the family from the intense interest her case has generated. -- I'm not thinking that yesterday's statement alluding to numerous unspeakable acts of violence and a horrific event are going to decrease interest in the case.

I don't know what happened and I'm glad Abigail Hernandez is home and safe, regardless. But, yesterday's statement, Abby's presence and demeanor at the arraignment, and Zenya and Abby's radio show appearances contradict, IMO, the notion that public interest and privacy is what Abigail Hernandez is seeking in order to heal.

Amanda Berry was able to facilitate her own release by gaining trust from her captor; he trusted that she wouldn't try to escape. I thought that she looked positively glowing in the pictures just after her release (in the photo with her daughter and sister at the hospital). She was, in fact, a victim of a horrific crime nonetheless and for a much longer duration than 9 months. So, I think it's possible that Abigail Hernandez is also a very strong person and that her physical appearance doesn't necessarily negate her claims.

But, Amanda Berry said she wanted privacy and time to process and recoup. She worked with LE and stayed out of the spotlight for months. Her claims to LE (and those made publicly by Michelle Knight, who wasn't in such good physical shape) were quickly substantiated by LE and reflected in the charges against Castro.

Whatever went down in the Hernandez case, I don't think Abby and Zenya are doing themselves or LE any favors by worrying so much about influencing the opinions of commenters on social media and news sites. Not responding and working with LE to acquire evidence to substantiate her claims is what I'd be recommending were I her adviser and I believed her account.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARREST MADE: Abigail Hernandez, 15, Missing/Returned Safe - New Hampshire - by HairOfTheDog - 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM