Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
ANOTHER SCHOOL/PUBLIC SHOOTING
BigMark Offline
Mocker

RE: ANOTHER PUBLIC SHOOTING

How many in Mexico where they are mostly illegal?

04-14-2018 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-14-2018 09:49 AM)BigMark Wrote:  How many in Mexico where they are mostly illegal?

Mexico's gun homicide rate per capita is a bit higher than the U.S.

That doesn't make me feel any better about the gun violence problem in the U.S. though.

We are generally considered the most economically developed country in the world. And, we tend to herald ourselves as a country of law and order.

However, I don't think the latter is a view shared by a majority of people around the world anymore.

Out of 195 countries, the United States has the 31st highest rate of violent gun deaths in the world with 3.85 deaths per 100,000 people in 2016.

When sorted by GDP, however, the United States has a much higher violent gun death rate compared to other developed countries, with over 10 times the number of firearms assault deaths than the next four highest GDP countries combined. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...-countries

So, what's your point Biggie?

04-14-2018 03:12 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

More gun laws won't work, maybe if they start enforcing the existing ones, maybe. You can't put the Genie back in the bottle like some other countries are possible.

04-14-2018 03:34 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-14-2018 03:34 PM)BigMark Wrote:  More gun laws won't work, maybe if they start enforcing the existing ones, maybe. You can't put the Genie back in the bottle like some other countries are possible.

That's original and has never been stated in this thread or all over the web by gun enthusiasts for ages. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Anyway, I still don't see why you singled out Mexico in your astute post. But whatever.

I agree better enforcement of gun laws is desperately needed. And, I support some of the new guns laws passed in Florida and hope/think they will prevent some gun violence. They're not mutually exclusive strategies.

What do you mean about putting the Genie back in the bottle -- are you referring to the U.S. having a constitutionally-guaranteed right to bear arms?

If so, some countries have indeed put that Genie back in the bottle (though I'm not one who supports repealing the Second Amendment).

Constitutions which historically guaranteed a right to bear arms are those of Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Liberia, Mexico, Nicaragua and the United States of America.

Nearly all of the Latin American constitutions were modeled on that of the
United States.

Currently, only three still include a right to bear arms: Guatemala, Mexico, and the United States.

04-14-2018 03:48 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

Mexico because I hate them, does that fit your agenda? Or maybe it's the closest country to me that I actually go to. There are already too many guns here, it would be civil war to retrieve them. They should offer some serious cash for gun buy backs, it will be cheaper in the long run.

04-14-2018 04:07 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I don't have an agenda, Biggie. I just asked a question about your comment because the connection to the post to which you responded wasn't clear at all.

Now I see that you're pushing an anti-confiscation agenda, which is fine. But, I didn't see anybody mention confiscation of guns in the first place.

Anyway, I now understand why you singled out Mexico ("cuz it's close to you or you hate Mexico"). No objection here.

Singling out Mexico was just a weak choice and part of why your original point was unclear and why you're now contradicting your clarified agenda.

Mexico does not have comparatively strict gun laws compared to most countries which permit civilians to bear arms via constitutional guarantee or other means. And, Mexico certainly doesn't have stricter gun laws than those listed in the meme Crash posted.

As for gun buy-backs, that 's what Australia did after its worst mass shooting many years back. It seems to have been effective in drastically reducing mass shootings. I agree the U.S. should consider leveraging gun controls/policies/strategies that have been effectively implemented by other countries.

04-14-2018 04:26 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp81HHP-fYYGer7tUm3UY...qYozZV1s00]

I was responding to this, note how they conveniently left out Mexico.

04-14-2018 04:32 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Derp Biggie.

Yeah, they left out 187 other countries too (most of which prohibit or severely limit civilian gun-ownership; Mexico doesn't fit that bill).

Do you see how you're totally contradicting your own point/agenda?

It would obviously make no sense to put Mexico on a list of countries with low gun homicide rates as compared to the U.S. The point of the meme is to contrast the high gun violence rates in the U.S. with the low gun violence rates in countries with stricter/better gun controls.

However, if you replaced "The United States" with "Mexico" (two of three countries that guarantee the right to bear arms and have high gun homicide rates) and translated the text in Crash's meme into Spanish........you'd have an equally suitable meme to promote stronger gun control in Mexico.

Get it?

04-14-2018 04:39 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

Almost all of the guns used in homicides in Mexico are illegal to own there. Derp to your derp, derp derp!

04-14-2018 05:36 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(04-14-2018 05:36 PM)BigMark Wrote:  Almost all of the guns used in homicides in Mexico are illegal to own there. Derp to your derp, derp derp!

Now you're getting a capitalized DERP.

I didn't say they weren't and that wasn't implied nor mentioned in the meme or our discussion thus far. It's irrelevant.

Neither I nor anyone else here is arguing against better enforcement of existing laws (in the U.S., Mexico, or anywhere else) when supporting some new laws to better ensure public safety.

Some of those proposed new laws, in fact, simply give law enforcement the authority to better enforce existing laws. Unwillingness or inability to enforce existing gun laws fully is a problem in both the U.S. and Mexico. However, it doesn't mean that existing gun laws aren't sometimes enforced and useful in gun violence prevention in both countries.

Guess how many times I've read posts by anti gun-control advocates like you and several others here contending that only law-abiding U.S. citizens would be negatively impacted by new gun laws because criminals just get them illegally anyway? 5,000 would be a conservative guess. So, you're just saying the same U.S. rhetoric can be applied to Mexico.

Guess how many of the guns used to commit crimes in countries where guns are prohibited were illegally owned? 'Every damn one of them' would be the obvious correct answer. That doesn't mean that those countries don't have significantly lower gun violence rates than countries with comparatively lax gun laws.

Guess how often guns used to commit crimes in U.S. states with comparatively strict gun laws were brought in from states with laxer gun laws? 'A whole fuckin lot' would be a reasonable response.

Do you get yet that the U.S. and Mexico face similar challenges and experience similar rates of high gun violence for many of the same reasons (and how that does not support your original point and agenda)?

04-14-2018 06:28 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Florida, again

Thursday was the 19th anniversary of the Columbine mass shooting and a day where student walk outs took place across the country.

The planned walk out at Forest High School in Oscala did not go down however.

Instead, the two thousand students and faculty were responding to a code red, barricading classroom doors, and hiding in closets.

[Image: 4B5FAA2500000578-0-image-a-31_1524321700257.jpg]
That's because 19-year-old former student ^ Sky Bouche snuck a shotgun into the school in a guitar case and started shooting at classrooms. He was reportedly obsessed with Columbine.

(continued)

04-21-2018 04:15 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

[Image: 4B5FD4E700000578-0-image-a-19_1524320491999.jpg]
Fortunately, at least according to initial reports from police, school resource officer Deputy James Long (pictured above) heard the gunshots and ran directly toward Bouche. He reportedly managed to arrest the shooter without incident within 3 minutes.

Officers cleared the classrooms and students were evacuated with their hands up; they were met by their panicked parents.

Bouche was placed in a hazmat suit to protect any evidence on his person and taken to jail. He told reporters at the scene that he was sorry and he just shot through a door but "it doesn't matter anyway".

One student was injured, but the injury is not life-threatening.

Story and pics: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...oting.html

04-21-2018 04:15 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Nashville

[Image: DbZjVb3X0AARj3Y.jpg]
James Shaw Jr., 29, ^ is the hero of the day. He tackled and wrestled the semi-automatic rifle away from a near-naked man who killed four people at a Nashville-are Waffle House early this morning.

[Image: 180422075832-travis-reinking-medium-plus-169.jpg]
The gunman ^ has been identified as Travis Reinking. He was wearing only a jacket when he shot one customer who was entering the restaurant, then shot at people through the windows, then entered the Waffle House and kept shooting.

Shaw tackled Reinking and managed to knock the gun out of his hands. That's when Reinking took off running into nearby woods.

Reinking is still on the loose and a manhunt is underway.

Crazy fucking shit.

Story: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/22/us/waffle...index.html

04-22-2018 03:15 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

Wrestle a naked guy AND be a hero, damn what luck!

04-22-2018 03:58 PM