Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
ATHLETIC ASSHOLES
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: ATHLETIC ASSHOLES

(04-11-2014 12:26 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  Miami is rife with hotties who are jersey-chasing.

I sound like I'm speaking from experience, right?

Right brah...

Ha!

MS, you big stud, where you been hiding these days?

You've been awfully quiet lately, even for a moody Cancer.

Too busy chasing the wife around the house and begging her for some lovin' to post? C'mon, brah, multi-task!

06-13-2014 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

^ libido is on a downward slide.

50 days ago I was in the best shape I'd been in since I was 35.

I've since stopped working out and have let myself go. A lot of work, and time with family, but not a lot of time for the gym.

Just gotta get myself kick-started again.

06-13-2014 04:54 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-13-2014 04:54 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  Just gotta get myself kick-started again.

Me too.

I need to increase my walk time -- lots of graduated inclines whichever route I take around here, which is good, and it's a work-out. But, I'm not challenging myself to go harder or farther and the pay off seems lower. Law of diminishing returns, I guess.

Also starting a 20 minute interval routine (straight offa OnDemand exercise channel Smiley_emoticons_smile ) on Monday.

As for your libido, sounds like it's tied to your perception of your appearance. Don't be so vain, mister. Get some!!!

06-14-2014 10:01 AM

Baldawgbites Offline
Jessica Alba's Future Ex Husband

(02-21-2014 11:47 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  There are some really cool professional athletes out there.

And, a bunch of entitled ones who think they're above the law and can get away with doing whatever they want (and sometimes do).

The latest pro athlete who seems to be in very hot water...

[Image: sharper.jpg]

Snip:
Darren Sharper, the former NFL player accused of drugging and raping women in California, Arizona, Louisiana and Nevada, is now under investigation for sexual battery in Miami Beach.

According to Miami Beach Police spokesperson Vivian Hernandez, Sharper is under investigation after being accused of sexually assaulting an intoxicated woman he allegedly met at a Miami Beach club and then took home to his condo.

Sharper, 38, was scheduled to appear in a Los Angeles court today to be arraigned on charges that he raped a total of two women on separate occasions at the same Hollywood nightclub. Police alleged that on Oct. 15, 2013 and again on Jan. 15, 2014 Sharper brought two women back to his hotel room, drugged them, and sexually assaulted one, according to CBS Los Angeles.

He has been free on bond but had to release his passport. Sharper is charged with two counts of rape by use of drugs, four counts of furnishing a controlled substance and one count of possession of a controlled substance, reports the station. He faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/darren-sharp...-sex-case/

Just another reason to hate the cowboys.

I forget, how absent minded I can be sometimes.
06-26-2014 02:46 PM

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(06-26-2014 02:46 PM)Baldawgbites Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 11:47 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  There are some really cool professional athletes out there.

And, a bunch of entitled ones who think they're above the law and can get away with doing whatever they want (and sometimes do).

The latest pro athlete who seems to be in very hot water...

[Image: sharper.jpg]

Snip:
Darren Sharper, the former NFL player accused of drugging and raping women in California, Arizona, Louisiana and Nevada, is now under investigation for sexual battery in Miami Beach.

According to Miami Beach Police spokesperson Vivian Hernandez, Sharper is under investigation after being accused of sexually assaulting an intoxicated woman he allegedly met at a Miami Beach club and then took home to his condo.

Sharper, 38, was scheduled to appear in a Los Angeles court today to be arraigned on charges that he raped a total of two women on separate occasions at the same Hollywood nightclub. Police alleged that on Oct. 15, 2013 and again on Jan. 15, 2014 Sharper brought two women back to his hotel room, drugged them, and sexually assaulted one, according to CBS Los Angeles.

He has been free on bond but had to release his passport. Sharper is charged with two counts of rape by use of drugs, four counts of furnishing a controlled substance and one count of possession of a controlled substance, reports the station. He faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/darren-sharp...-sex-case/

Just another reason to hate the cowboys.
hah

06-26-2014 03:50 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

[Image: 14-things-we-learned-about-hope-solo-fro...w-book.jpg]

U.S. women's national team soccer goalie Hope Solo ^ has apologized to her fans via social media following her arrest for domestic violence last weekend.

Solo, who also plays for the Seattle Reign of the National Women's Soccer League married former Seattle Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens in 2012. He was arrested just before their wedding for investigation of assault after a disturbance involving Solo, but he was not charged.

Her 17-year-old nephew told police she was upset and appeared to have been drinking when she arrived at a family gathering last weekend. She and her nephew got into a fistfight after arguing about his acting aspirations and she called him fat and crazy, according to court documents. When the boy's mother tried to break up the confrontation, Solo punched her in the face, the documents said.

The nephew broke a broom over Solo's head and the teen pointed a broken BB gun at her and tried to get her to leave, the documents said.

"I understand that, as a public figure, I am held to a higher standard of conduct," Solo said. "I take seriously my responsibilities as a role model and sincerely apologize to everyone I have disappointed."

She pleaded "not guilty" to domestic assault and her next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 11.

Full story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hope-solo-ap...ce-arrest/
----------------------------------------------------------------
She seems like a very aggressive person, to me. But, I have no idea what really went down this time, with her nephew and her sister, or who's the real asshole in this dispute. Sounds like a helluva family gathering, in any case.

The bit in her public statement about being held to a higher standard than others rubs me wrong, in any case. I think everyone in the civilized world is held to a standard above beating the shit outta their family members.

06-27-2014 06:34 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I don't think this is the first time I've read about her behaving in an obnoxious manner.

[Image: DuchessofMock_zpsiwcdtrji.png]
06-27-2014 07:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

NFL PRESCRIPTION DRUG INVESTIGATION
[Image: 0.jpg]
The DEA is launching an investigation into claims that NFL players illegally have been given powerful painkillers, among other prescription drugs, to keep them on the field, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The federal drug enforcement agency is looking into records pertaining to the distribution of prescription drugs handed out to players by trainers and doctors, the source added.

Those records would include documented visits and examinations by doctors, diagnoses and authorized prescriptions written for players. The investigation is described as being in its "early stages."

Depending on what is found, the case could become a civil and/or criminal case with doctors potentially going to jail if convicted of drug-related offenses.

In part, the investigation was prompted by a class-action lawsuit filed in May, 2013 in federal court by nine named retired NFL players representing 1,300 others who claim the NFL "intentionally, recklessly, and negligently created and maintained a culture of drug misuse, substituting players' health for profit," according to court documents.

The players' suit accuses NFL trainers of handing out pills without prescriptions and without regard to possible dangerous interactions with other drugs. The named players in the lawsuit include former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon who, according to the lawsuit, says he got hooked on painkillers taking as many as 100 Percocet pills a month.

"Our more than 1300 clients welcome any government investigation which aims to protect them from further harm," Steve Silverman, attorney for the plaintiffs suing the NFL, said in a statement to CNN.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2014/07/14/us/dea-drug...?hpt=hp_t2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This doesn't sound like it's related to performance enhancing drugs or steroids, but instead pain killers that players would have agreed to take to stay in the game/industry. Right?

Reads more like a malpractice suit against the prescribing doctors, to me.

Anybody been following this?

07-14-2014 06:39 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I heard about it and I believe it's probably true. Some former players have written about it, even they didn't know the extent of their own injuries at times.

07-14-2014 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

Thanks, Duchess.

It makes more sense to me now. Just read the original story in the New York Daily News.

Snip:
Allegations of rampant locker-room prescription drug abuse are part of a broader battle over players’ long-term health. A federal judge in Philadelphia gave preliminary approval last week to a settlement that would remove a cap on compensation for players who suffered concussions and other traumatic brain injuries.

Also, NFL retirees have long complained that the disability program the league operates jointly with the Players Association seems designed to reject claims by players physically debilitated by football-related injuries. The NFL, many former players argue, has turned its back on the men who helped turn it into a $9 billion-a-year industry.

The DEA investigation is good news for the players involved in the suit because the feds may uncover evidence unavailable to lawyers pursuing a civil suit, says Robert Boland, a former prosecutor, criminal defense attorney and sports agent.

“Drug addiction is part of a list of issues players struggle with as they make the transition to retirement,” Boland said.

Boland said that while there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggests team officials and medical staff encouraged players to abuse prescription drugs, it will be difficult to prove that league officials played a role.

“I don’t think the NFL loves the fact that there is a drug investigation,” Boland said. “But in the end, the NFL may be able to successfully say this is a club matter.”

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team...z37UFhhjDV
---------------------------------------------

The bolded parts by the attorney answer some of the questions that crossed my mind when reading the less comprehensive CNN article.

Will these players really be able to pin it on the NFL Franchise/League rather than just specific team doctors and trainers?

If the players' allegations can be substantiated, will be interesting to see how the DEA investigation affects any civil suit settlement and who might take the fall in terms of possible criminal charges.

07-14-2014 07:14 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

Jim McMahon who was the QB for the Bears insists he was made to play with a broken neck, another player has said he played with a broken ankle, there are more examples, this is to just give you an idea. They all say they didn't know the extent of their injuries or that the injury was played down and they were given painkillers to mask the pain so they could continue playing. There is way more protocol now than ever before, particularly where concussions are concerned.

The NFL has a tremendous amount of money. It's a cash cow.

07-14-2014 07:29 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(07-14-2014 07:29 PM)Duchess Wrote:  Jim McMahon who was the QB for the Bears insists he was made to play with a broken neck, another player has said he played with a broken ankle, there are more examples, this is to just give you an idea.

The NFL has a tremendous amount of money. It's a cash cow.

I understand targeting deep pockets and going after the NFL rather than their respective clubs. If the players' claims are substantiated and the NFL league officials are able to shield themselves from direct culpability, the players can then file suit on those further down the chain.

Seems like this could really shake up the league and cause a lot of finger-pointing and turmoil between players, clubs, and the NFL franchise. I wonder if the league will wanna just make it go away and consider settling -- then work with its team owners on policies to curb the problem (if the league really wants it resolved). With the DEA now investigating, betting some team doctors and trainers are sweatng over possible criminal charges if the players' allegations are true.

Anyway, I don't watch a lot of football. Could a pro actually play through a game with a broken neck or broken ankle? I'd think his judgment and agility would be way off, even if the pain was numbed by scrips.

07-15-2014 10:01 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(07-15-2014 10:01 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Could a pro actually play through a game with a broken neck or broken ankle? I'd think his judgment and agility would be way off, even if the pain was numbed by scrips.

I can think of only one instance where I thought I was watching a player play hurt and it was obvious. Cutz would probably be better able to answer this question, he's much more analytical than I am.

I've read in the past, mostly in regards to concussions, that players would lie about their symptoms. I guess one has to have at least a basic understanding of the mindset of these men. Not all of course but I think many would lie in order to protect their job. If you can't play you're not needed. I don't know this to be true but I think it's easier for a club to get out of a contract than it is for a player to get out of a contract.

07-15-2014 10:20 AM

Cutz Offline
Mocker

(07-15-2014 10:01 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I understand targeting deep pockets and going after the NFL rather than their respective clubs.

Anyway, I don't watch a lot of football. Could a pro actually play through a game with a broken neck or broken ankle? I'd think his judgment and agility would be way off, even if the pain was numbed by scrips.
Yes. Donovan McNaab, QB for the Eagles, broke his ankle (three places of his fibula) getting tackled on the third play of the game. He went to the locker room, got it taped up, I'm sure popped some meds, and returned to the game with a reported 'sprained' ankle. After the game and x-rays, he was out for the rest of the season. Donnie Mac was usually a mobile QB, and his running ability was severely compromised with the ankle injury, but he just stayed in the pocket and threw the ball a lot. Obviously it depends what position the guy plays, but playing through more minor injury is common.

It's important to remember that this stuff is separate from the concussion lawsuits. That was a major action by a bigger contingent of players, and the NFL has a settlement given primary acceptance to the tune of like 800 million bucks, but not capped, so if more money is needed in the future, they have to dump more in (from what I understand.) That was settled because the NFL as an organization had buried concussion data. The players being given prescription drugs would be a doc by doc and club by club thing, so I don't really see it going too far at the organization level.

Pertaining to the concussion lawsuit, one guy said this about the NFL being able to audit the claims for brain injury/concussion money:
Quote:League owners and executives have long thought that this case was lawyer-driven, with lawyers signing up many undeserving players with form contracts to drive up the numbers. And as someone who received many inquiries from former players, I admit to seeing some of that, with calls like this:
Player: “Do you think I should join that lawsuit?”
Me: “Do you have any symptoms?
Player: “No….but I might. And the lawyers say it’s all contingent, I don’t pay anything.”
Me: “Well, how do you feel about suing for something you don’t have?”
Player: “Well, the NFL got over on me and I don’t feel bad getting a little more.”

I see a lot of bitterness from many retired players about the way things ended in their career, with a sense they deserved more: more playing time, more money, more respect, etc. Unfortunately, this settlement will not answer many of those players’ issues.(http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/10/nfl-concus...-approval/)

So you could see why while some players actually have cause or need to sue the NFL, others would just be trying to get money. While I would feel bad for anyone who was 'forced' to play through injury, it's more likely they were complicit in playing while injured so that they could make their paycheck. Players don't like to sit out.

07-15-2014 10:54 AM