Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
REEFER MADNESS - POT KILLS?

As with so many things, the actions of a few will affect others.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(04-19-2014, 05:33 AM)Duchess Wrote: As with so many things, the actions of a few will affect others.

Very true.

Politically speaking, I think the amount of revenue the state of Colorado has produced since the legalization will keep some of the "reefer madness" opportunists from successfully using the actions of a few to reverse the drive for legalization in states that are already leaning in that direction.

For those states (or their legislators) which oppose marijuana usage, the actions of a few will probably help them reinforce their positions with "told you so" rhetoric, but they weren't moving towards legalization anyway.

Probably the biggest impact of the actions of a few affecting the many will be on states which are more split down the middle on the issue. I could see some such lawmakers being swayed to hold off a bit to let more progressive states experience, address, and attempt to minimize problems that will arise as a result of any new laws and processes before diving into the market.

The cookies that the college student ate before jumping to his death were tested -- their toxicity matched what was listed on the label. The student ignored the label and way over-consumed. I think the man who killed his wife was probably on other drugs, but LE will likely test the marijuana candy he bought and reportedly consumed prior to killing his wife to see if the product potency matched the label if used as directed.

It'll be interesting to see if the student's family and/or the husband's defense attorneys attempt to hold the legal marijuana dealers responsible for the operator error, so to speak, of their deceased loved one and their murderous client respectively. Seems almost inevitable.

Colorado has made a substantial amount of money in recent months and I think other states are paying attention to that. My state allows medical weed & just last week Maryland decriminalized possession so I do see strides being made in my area. I have hope that one day in the not too distant future it will be here like it is in Colorado. Not everyone here feels like I do but I also firmly believe that alcohol is so much worse than pot.
I see Indiana as one of the last states to legalize weed, if ever.

There's a bunch of shit on the table for the gays to never be able to marry here, and we still can't buy alcohol on Sunday.
(04-19-2014, 10:30 AM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I see Indiana as one of the last states to legalize weed, if ever.

I hate to agree with you on this but I think you might be right. I just saw a list of states that are most likely to follow Colorado and your state isn't on it, there are only 15 states that did make the list. Better than nothing but still a ways to go.
(04-19-2014, 10:30 AM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I see Indiana as one of the last states to legalize weed, if ever.

Yeah, seems like a long wait for your state -- medicinal marijuana is still illegal in Indiana.

There are now 21 states where medicinal marijuana is legal and 12 states have measures underway to go to ballot for legalization.
[Image: 2014_MedicalMarijuana2.png]

Now, if the DOJ could pull its head out of its ass and stop raiding medicinal marijuana dispensaries in states where it's perfectly legal (using old federal civil laws that allow them to force the landlords to evict distributors)... Holder seems to be sending the message for them to stop, but it's still happening.

In terms of recreational marijuana, these are the states/districts expected to decriminalize and then legalize recreational marijuana next:
Alaska...Arizona...California...Delaware...Hawaii...Maine...Maryland...Massachusetts...Montana...Nevada...New York...Oregon...Rhode Island...Washington, D.C...Vermont

Source (and details): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/18...62737.html
It might be a good thing. I think it will cost more if it's legal.

I have a cousin in Colorado. I'll have to hit her up and see what they're paying.

Can you believe it's going to be sold at Walmart! Is that all-American or what. hah
(04-19-2014, 02:17 PM)Duchess Wrote:
Is that all-American or what. hah

Only if it's grown in America!
36 Stoner-Approved Songs For Your 420 Smoke Sessions

Dude . . . click this!

Now . . . where's the munchies list?
(04-20-2014, 12:08 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(04-19-2014, 02:17 PM)Duchess Wrote:
Is that all-American or what. hah

Only if it's grown in America!

I'm sure they will grow it in China and send it here.
The regulators in Colorado and Washington really need to get jamming.

I support the legalization of medicinal and recreational marijuana, but common sense labeling and packaging restrictions need to be invoked before some poor kid ends up dying.

[Image: n-EDIBLE-POT-large.jpg]

Parents and doctors have said some children are eating the highly potent gummy bears, cookies, brownies and other items by mistake, sending them to hospitals in increasing numbers.

Hershey has filed a trademark infringement lawsuit and wants a judge to order the producer of several marijuana-infused knock-offs of its products (TinctureBelle) to stop selling the items.

Story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/07...weird-news
How are kids even buying it? I'd assumed it was only legal to buy like alcohol - 21 and older. I don't know the exact details of consumption vs smoking, but I know smoking weed can hinder brain myelination before age 25/30. At least if you've reached the age of 21 you're really accountable for what you choose to do to your body, be it drinking, smoking cigarettes, driving over the speed limit, etc. Children unknowingly using the stuff just sounds terrible to me.
Looks like the issue is moron dopers thinking its amusing to have their pot fix delivered in packages that resemble "Munchies"
OK, Fine, but maybe you should remain un doped long enough to hide your "Special Munchies" from the kids you fucking moron
No, I don't think we need " Sweddy Balls" ice cream on the shelf or "Reffers Cups". I think we can function just fine without those
You can't regulate it without the rest of this ridiculous bullshit to go along. I'm actually not for legalization at all and my husband smokes it daily, I'm more for toleration than legalization.
(06-08-2014, 10:03 PM)sally Wrote: You can't regulate it without the rest of this ridiculous bullshit to go along. I'm actually not for legalization at all and my husband smokes it daily, I'm more for toleration than legalization.

True, they'll be some ridiculous bullshit no matter how well regulated.

There will always be some adults who leave stuff that they shouldn't laying around and then have their minds blown when the kids get a hold of it.

In the case of legalized recreational marijuana, the demand and the creative suppliers are moving too fast for regulators to keep up. Apparently, some of these growers and producers aren't aware of trademark laws, or just don't care. They'll get slammed in court with those kinds of lawsuits eventually anyway.

I just don't like to see the stuff packaged in a way that makes it so closely resemble something that most kids naturally gravitate towards while the regulators get their ducks in a row.
UPDATE -- LEGAL CASE MOVES FORWARD

ORIGINAL POST SNIP
(04-18-2014, 01:38 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: [Image: article-0-1D22601800000578-642_636x382.jpg]

A Denver man, Richard Kirk, 47, is accused of killing his wife, Kristine Kirk, 44, on Monday while she was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. Police say he ate marijuana-infused candy and possibly took prescription pain medication before the attack, according to a search warrant affidavit released Thursday.

The affidavit states that Kristine Kirk told the dispatcher her husband had ingested marijuana candy and was hallucinating.

Refs:
http://www.katenews2day.com/deadly-marij...like-this/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-denver-d...juana-use/
----------------------------------------------------
THE LATEST

Snip:
A judge ordered a Denver man on Friday to stand trial in the killing of his wife, who told dispatchers moments before her death that he was paranoid and hallucinating after eating marijuana-infused candy.

Defense attorneys for 48-year-old Richard Kirk suggested during a preliminary hearing that he was so impaired by the pot that he may not have intended to kill his wife.

But Judge Elizabeth Starrs said there was enough evidence for a trial on a charge of first-degree murder because Kirk showed he had the wherewithal to remember the code to a locked gun safe and press the weapon to his wife's head nearly 13 minutes into her call with the 911 dispatcher. "That's more than enough evidence to establish probable cause," Starrs said.

The ruling came after more than two hours of testimony from Denver police Detective Troy Bisgard. He said the only substance found in Kirk's blood was THC, marijuana's intoxicating chemical.

Detective Bisgard also testified that Kristine Kirk was covered by a $340,000 life insurance policy and that the couple's marital and financial problems were escalating.

Kristine Kirk told her closest friends in the days before she died that she and her husband were fighting intensely, and she had grown afraid of him, Bisgard testified.

Their struggles involved more than $40,000 in debt and $2,500 they owed to the Internal Revenue Service, he said.

Richard Kirk's defense attorney Shanelle Kindel noted that the package of "Karma Kandy" bore no information about suggested dosages. And though Detective Bisgard said Kirk's THC levels were relatively low, Kindel said the effects of marijuana edibles can be felt in small amounts.

A clerk at the pot shop told police it didn't seem that Kirk had much experience with marijuana when he came into the shop, Bisgard said.

After the shooting, Richard Kirk told his 7-year-old son to kill him so, "'Dad and Mom can be together with God,'" Bisgard said.

According to CBS Denver, the children also told police they had never seen their dad behave the way he did that night.

Full story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-who-ate-...s-killing/
----------------------------------------------------

Was Kirk's marijuana intake really a factor in the murder? Did he kill his wife for the life insurance money? Was he just tired of the marital conflict? A combination of all of these factors?

Whatever really prompted the murder of Kristine Kirk, looks like Richard Kirk and his attorney or gonna try to pin it on the pot.

I don't recall ever reading anywhere that the high from pot had the ability to make people kill. I understand that it can affect people differently but this seems really far fetched.
It should be sold in liquor stores or package stores only and be regulated just like hard booze is, the mechanisms are in place just utilize them but nooooooooooo that would be to easy.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-25-2014, 04:14 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I don't recall ever reading anywhere that the high from pot had the ability to make people kill. I understand that it can affect people differently but this seems really far fetched.

Agreed.

I just found out yesterday that Indiana decriminalized weed as of the July 1st news laws this year. I haven't double checked or googled it yet, but if true...how could I have NOT known this??

My niece got pulled over for a traffic violation a while back and she got busted with a one-hitter/dugout. She got a fine, classes and 1 yr probation. She said the cop joked with her that if she had been lucky enough to get caught after July 1st, she would have only got a ticket. I'm shocked he didn't just let her go...she's a knock-out with HUGE boobies, and blonde...hah

Going to check out the new laws now while it's on my mind.