Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
ISRAEL VS. PALESTINE...AGAIN
Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

RE: ISRAEL VS. PALESTINE...AGAIN

Considering this fight goes all the way back to Ahab and Abraham, I have a hard time getting excited about it. This is one that will never cease.

07-24-2014 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

I'm glad you're not excited about it, Gunnar. That would be a bit strange.

The roots of the conflict/war go back ages, I agree. But, there are many present day impacts and concerns in play here -- though I completely understand that the tunnel threats, the politics and alliances, the propaganda wars, the financial investments...over the last 10 years aren't as interesting to some as they are to others.

Anyway, as an American citizen, I'm interested in how almost $4 billion in US support is being spent in Israel and why. Also, how near an ally to whom we're deeply and historically committed is to war -- in a region where that ally is surrounded by "enemies" -- is of concern to me, too.

This is the worst violence in Gaza in more than 5 years. I'm hoping a cease fire can be reached very soon, though I'm less optimistic now than I was at the start of the week.

07-24-2014 03:57 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I still feel Israel is just as bad as those they fight. Sometimes I just feel the need to say that.

Smiley_emoticons_slash

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
07-24-2014 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(07-24-2014 03:57 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I'm glad you're not excited about it, Gunnar. That would be a bit strange.

The roots of the conflict/war go back ages, I agree. But, there are many present day impacts and concerns in play here -- though I completely understand that the tunnel threats, the politics and alliances, the propaganda wars, the financial investments...over the last 10 years aren't as interesting to some as they are to others.

Anyway, as an American citizen, I'm interested in how almost $4 billion in US support is being spent in Israel and why. Also, how near an ally to whom we're deeply and historically committed is to war -- in a region where that ally is surrounded by "enemies" -- is of concern to me, too.

This is the worst violence in Gaza in more than 5 years. I'm hoping a cease fire can be reached very soon, though I'm less optimistic now than I was at the start of the week.
I don't mean to be insensitive HoTD, but I don't think there will ever be peace there. Both sides have a legitimate claim to the same piece of land. It's a blood right for both, so I just don't see any reasonable conclusion. Call me a pessomist, but honestly, if there was a reasonable agreement I believe it would have been brought to the table at some point over the last 2000+ years.

07-24-2014 04:28 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I didn't ponder whether you were being insensitive or not, just acknowledged that I understand that you're not interested and explained why I am interested.

Whether there will ever be peace between Israel and Palestine and whether there will ever be the two independent states solution that's been pushed by the US and other western countries aside...I'm interested in the present day politics, the impacts /threats/opportunities/costs to the US, the current influences and strategies at work on both sides, etc...

No worries -- we all have varying interests -- I don't expect them to always overlap. Smiley_emoticons_smile

07-24-2014 04:53 PM

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(07-24-2014 04:53 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I didn't ponder whether you were being insensitive or not, just acknowledged that I understand that you're not interested and explained why I am interested.

Whether there will ever be peace between Israel and Palestine and whether there will ever be the two independent states solution that's been pushed by the US and other western countries aside...I'm interested in the present day politics, the impacts /threats/opportunities/costs to the US, the current influences and strategies at work on both sides, etc...

No worries -- we all have varying interests -- I don't expect them to always overlap. Smiley_emoticons_smile
Well keep in mind that if the US is incurring cost, we are also making some profit. Somebody's got to build all of those high tech missles Isreal is using and Raytheon is right down the road from me. Hey... Maybe THOSE are the jobs Obama promised! hah

07-24-2014 05:35 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

^ Well, there you go being all interested. Awink

This thread isn't titled, "Will There Ever Be Peace Between Israel and Palestine?", though I'm interested in yours and anybody else's opinion about that and anything else related to Israel and Palestine.

I am familiar with the amount of US foreign aid to Israel -- past, present, and future -- and the existing and future potential contracts in regards to US purchases of Israeli-manufactured military products and vice versa. It's kept in my mind. It amounts to a huge deficit for the US (financially), but theoretically a benefit in terms of the stabilization and strength of Israel as a state.

If you or anyone else is interested in details, this is a good comprehensive report.
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf

07-24-2014 06:13 PM

blueberryhill Offline
Mocker

The U.S. has always been buddies with Israel so I assumed they must be the good guys, and now I am not so sure. The killing of children is a coward's way of war and I am disturbing by the bombing of a school. Don't care what side you are on, killing children is not o.k. If the UN is investigating Israel for violating humanitarian issues, then U.S. should support that also, but they voted no and many of our allies abstained from voting. I wonder why...
I agree with Duchess, be careful what you say out in public about this, but on Facebook, most posters support our questioning of Israel crossing line of decency (if there can be such a thing in a war). Hair, thanks for all the background of these warring factions. Maggs, you say Israel warned citizens so they could leave before the bombing began. That looks good on paper but is it true? I don't think there was a place to run or hide. I saw many people trying to go somewhere, but not always successful.

07-24-2014 08:19 PM

sally Away
sally

They're war mongering bastards that want to keep other people down, that's why Hitler wanted to get rid of them. They're not doing much different from him actually.

07-24-2014 11:34 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

Who was the aggressor here? Who flung bombs to start?

07-25-2014 08:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Maggot Offline
Supermod

(07-24-2014 11:34 PM)sally Wrote:  They're war mongering bastards that want to keep other people down, that's why Hitler wanted to get rid of them. They're not doing much different from him actually.

I agree Hamas uses female genital mutilation, and separates the girls from the boys in school. A bunch of other things but you know that.

07-25-2014 08:13 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

The people killed & maimed yesterday were sitting ducks. One & all congregated waiting to be evacuated and BOOM.

I fell asleep watching coverage of this and dreamed all night long about people trying to kill me, coming up behind me with wire wrapped in their hands. Those fuckers were going to garrote me and my brain is screaming wake up, wake up.

07-25-2014 08:15 AM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

If Hamas had any consideration for its citizens it would stop firing rockets into Israel. Instead they shoot them from schools, mosques and houses. They are looking for sympathy from the international community, should Israel just let them bomb them? Should they not try and stop Hamas from using tunnels to plant bombs?
like I said before they were given Gaza to do what they will with it, instead they use it as a launching pad and uses its women and children as human shields. They were warned many times to stop.

07-25-2014 09:00 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

I'm not saying they shouldn't try & stop Hamas. I believe everyone should have the opportunity to fight back. When you hit someone you deserve to get hit back. All I'm saying is that I don't believe Israel is any better than those they fight, that's my opinion.

I also think that many people believe that all those living on Gaza support Hamas and that's simply not the case at all.

I'm not going to defend Israel. They are like a nigger who gets mad for being called a nigger and their response is to call the person saying it a nigger.

07-25-2014 09:11 AM