Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
fun facts about food
(07-28-2014, 04:05 PM)sally Wrote: I almost wrote a review on it and I've never wrote a review in my life.

You should write a review so that other tourists don't get sucked in. As you know, people will spend a great deal of money on dining when visiting NYC and they deserve a wonderful experience. This isn't like putting out a few bucks for a burger & fries. Alert them.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I've written a few reviews on restaurants before, some positive and a couplers not so much. You see all kinds of service out there as much in the high end places as the low end.
Some of the things that piss me off about any place no matter the price point:
Waiting for a drink or refill
waiting for a check
waiting for my receipt or change
getting ignored
A table in the middle of the floor
What I like:
Quick congenial service, quick refills or a fresh drink and my receipt or change returned promptly and a table in the corner. The food is of course important and I judge it by what is compared to what it was represented as and what it costs. Pasta over or under cooked, meats over cooked, to much salt etc..
For me after a long week there is nothing like a nice booth in the corner of a darkish rustic looking upscale place with a nice glass of red in hand and something savory and good smelling hitting the table. La Sigalle is one of my fancy favs in Delray beach, Mediterranean place, Very nice. Escargot is wonderful, lamb chops way tasty. So far the service has always been great. The only thing is it gets very busy and noisy during the season.

My boss raises her arm in the air and snaps her fingers when she wants the check. I cringe inside each and every time she does that.
I don't consider myself to be a picky eater, but if you're going to take the time to ask me how I want my meat cooked deliver what I ask for. And for fuck sakes keep my drink full. Overcooked pasta at an Italian restaurant is unforgivable. I'd be willing to bet that the overcooked pasta was from a box instead of fresh made as well. Otherwise the "chef" would have paid more attention to it if it took 2 hours to prep the pasta.

I might give my left boob for someone to cook for me everyday...just sayin'.
(07-29-2014, 09:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: My boss raises her arm in the air and snaps her fingers when she wants the check. I cringe inside each and every time she does that.

That's pretty classless.

Addit: and it's very very rude.
(07-29-2014, 09:52 AM)Duchess Wrote:

My boss raises her arm in the air and snaps her fingers when she wants the check. I cringe inside each and every time she does that.

No class.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Oh dear, look at what happened Rams.
(07-29-2014, 09:48 AM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: For me after a long week there is nothing like a nice booth in the corner of a darkish rustic looking upscale place with a nice glass of red in hand and something savory and good smelling hitting the table. La Sigalle is one of my fancy favs in Delray beach, Mediterranean place, Very nice. Escargot is wonderful, lamb chops way tasty. So far the service has always been great. The only thing is it gets very busy and noisy during the season.

That's my type of restaurant too. The atmosphere is almost as important as the food.
(07-29-2014, 11:05 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I don't consider myself to be a picky eater, but if you're going to take the time to ask me how I want my meat cooked deliver what I ask for. And for fuck sakes keep my drink full. Overcooked pasta at an Italian restaurant is unforgivable. I'd be willing to bet that the overcooked pasta was from a box instead of fresh made as well. Otherwise the "chef" would have paid more attention to it if it took 2 hours to prep the pasta.

The pasta was a chianti infused papperdelle which you would think would be homemade, but whoever finished it royally fucked it up. Not only was it overcooked, but it was stuck together. This place had $6,000 bottles of wine, if you're trying to sell a $6,000 bottle of wine you'd think they'd get the pasta right.
Sally sounds like a quantum physics scientist when she talks about food sometimes.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Tried and true pubs are my favorite places to grab a meal and drinks.

We've got quite a few here that have solid menus, reliably good food, and even if there's hardly any staff, it's just a shuffle to the bar for a quick refill on the liquids and there's no one hovering around with a crumb brush. I don't get to go to pubs much these days because I often have my niece along, but that's where I gravitate when I have a chance.

I'm not a fan of expensive restaurants -- but sometimes when I'm outta town and meet up with a group it's an inevitability and I enjoy trying fancy joints. Often it seems the prices are based on the image and the number of people on the floor though, as compared to the quality of the food and the experience. I only care about the latter two.
I like pubs too and little places off the beaten path, you can often find some good food there.

The best place we ate at while on vacation was in Canada outside of an Indian restaurant, the guy had a tandoori grill set up and was making some kind of spicy chicken with garlic naan bread. I've had it before at Indian restaurants, but the way it came sizziling out of that clay oven was one of the best things I ever ate. Or maybe I was just drunk and hungry.
(07-29-2014, 09:48 AM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: I've written a few reviews on restaurants before, some positive and a couplers not so much. You see all kinds of service out there as much in the high end places as the low end.
Some of the things that piss me off about any place no matter the price point:
Waiting for a drink or refill
waiting for a check
waiting for my receipt or change
getting ignored
A table in the middle of the floor
What I like:
Quick congenial service, quick refills or a fresh drink and my receipt or change returned promptly and a table in the corner. The food is of course important and I judge it by what is compared to what it was represented as and what it costs. Pasta over or under cooked, meats over cooked, to much salt etc..
For me after a long week there is nothing like a nice booth in the corner of a darkish rustic looking upscale place with a nice glass of red in hand and something savory and good smelling hitting the table. La Sigalle is one of my fancy favs in Delray beach, Mediterranean place, Very nice. Escargot is wonderful, lamb chops way tasty. So far the service has always been great. The only thing is it gets very busy and noisy during the season.

Hope the food and the interior are better than its outward appearence.

[Image: 0e5652c0cd23ed6b265c96765bf7e683_586_391_85.jpg]
^ Is that the bartender catching a few rays before his 5 o'clock shift?
If I'm with friends or family, I don't sweat it so much if the service takes a while on the count of the place being busy. I'm happy to spend some time with those people I care about. After all, if the place is busy, it's usually for a reason. If the service is slow because they're just ignorant or lazy, I still don't let it ruin my time with friends, but I will make a point of mentioning it to the manager/supervisor on the way out.

Life is too short to be an asshole over whether my drink is full or not..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
Like most places, it looks better in the dark. I think its the Tiki Torches