Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EBOLA IS IN AMERICA

What do you think about that?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think it's kind of fucked up. My husband just said that they brought the guy to Georgia, terrific.
I know. Why here???
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(08-02-2014, 02:17 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I know. Why here???

Why not?

Better there than here.
Glad I don't live in the disease center of the country.

Trump shares my feelings, as to why the hell are they bringing the 2 sick Americans here?

Thereby risking a major epidemic here. Why not have our doc's go to Africa and treat them there? Our country's administration is just bonkers!

Guess they never heard of "the greater good for the many".
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Here's the comment that Donald made that Cars referred to -

[Image: article-2712477-202BBA9600000578-290_620x359.jpg]
Makes me a bit nervous. I mean, it is not like it is because families can be with them, the families cannot really be WITH them in the true sense of the word.

If it's any consolation to those who have concerns, this is not an air borne disease. One must have contact with blood or other bodily fluids in order to contract it. The medical facility where this Dr was taken is the best in the country for treating/managing this type of thing. They had a SARS patient there in the past and that's a much more contagious disease.

Having said all that, I'm not happy they have willingly brought this disease into our country given there is no way in hell a traveler with it would be welcomed here.

It sure is an ugly way to die. The only reason I can see for bringing them here is to study the virus looking for a cure in a more controlled environment than an African village.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'm not worried about Ebola spreading here as a result of these Americans being brought home for treatment.

There's a lot of mystery surrounding how and why the disease does what it does, but doctors know that it's only spread through unprotected (or unhygienic) first-hand contact with someone afflicted with Ebola; the pair will be quarantined.

I hope these two American Peace Corp workers can be saved.

CONAKRY, GUINEA—With the death toll in West Africa continuing to rise amid a new outbreak of the Ebola virus, leading medical experts announced Wednesday that a vaccine for the deadly disease is still at least 50 white people from being developed. “While all measures are being taken to contain the spread of the contagion, an effective, safe, and reliable Ebola inoculation unfortunately remains roughly 50 to 60 white people away, if not more,” said Tulane University pathologist Gregory Wensmann, adding that while progress has been made over the course of the last two or three white people, a potential Ebola vaccination is still many more white people off. “We are confident, however, that with each passing white person, we’re moving closer to an eventual antigenic that will prevent and possibly even eradicate the disease.” Wensmann said he remained optimistic that the vaccine would not take considerably longer than his prediction, as waiting more than 50 white people for an effective preventative measure was something the world would simply not allow...

...reports The Onion.
50 white people?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

Yes. The death of fifty white people.
Given that it is a highly contagious virus, I think they should not have been brought back until cured. Very risky move.
Ebola isn't highly contagious unless you are in direct contact with body fluids. It's like AIDS in that way. If you are old enough to remember when AIDS made it's first appearances in the US, you can relate to todays panic over the Ebola virus.

One of the reasons it's so deadly in Africa is that they don't have the hygiene standards we do in the US. Without access to soap and running water it makes it more difficult to protect yourself when caring for a family member with the disease. The chances of blood, vomit or sputum infecting you increases without proper hand, body, and clothing/bedclothes washing.

IMO, as for the two Americans with the disease, they are citizens of the United States and have a right to be treated in their own country. I am confident the Atlanta CDC has the correct tools and procedures to contain any outbreak.
(08-03-2014, 08:52 PM)Cheyne Wrote: Ebola isn't highly contagious unless you are in direct contact with body fluids. It's like AIDS in that way. If you are old enough to remember when AIDS made it's first appearances in the US, you can relate to todays panic over the Ebola virus.

One of the reasons it's so deadly in Africa is that they don't have the hygiene standards we do in the US. Without access to soap and running water it makes it more difficult to protect yourself when caring for a family member with the disease. The chances of blood, vomit or sputum infecting you increases without proper hand, body, and clothing/bedclothes washing.

IMO, as for the two Americans with the disease, they are citizens of the United States and have a right to be treated in their own country. I am confident the Atlanta CDC has the correct tools and procedures to contain any outbreak.

The CDC does have it's problems also, they do make mistakes. (7-30-14)

A mistake with Ebola, can cause many deaths here.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...lease.aspx

(08-04-2014, 08:39 AM)Carsman Wrote: The CDC does have it's problems also, they do make mistakes. (7-30-14)

A mistake with Ebola, can cause many deaths here.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...lease.aspx

The CDC does make mistakes, like any other organization -- no doubt, Cars.

The problems cited in the article highlight the biggest mistakes made by the Center; ones that deal with lab techs handling and shipping toxic materials. To me, that's a different scenario than top doctors treating a patient with a very rare virus which can be completely contained in a qualified controlled treatment environment. This is not an airborne disease.

Unlike many of those who inadvertently spread the virus in Africa, it's been known to Dr. Brantly and his care team that he has the Ebola virus since he first exhibited symptoms. And, he is undergoing a proven treatment regimen in a facility here where the medical professionals tending to him are working in a pristine environment with the best protective wear -- all of which radically increases the patient's chances of fighting off the disease without spreading it to the patient's care providers.

[Image: NA-CC190_EBOLA_D_20140803182404.jpg]

In Africa, care providers, like Dr. Brantly, were not working under those ideal containment circumstances, unfortunately.

In any case, I'm really hoping that this humanitarian doctor pulls through. He is reportedly doing well in Atlanta, but the next couple of days will be crucial. Perhaps further medical knowledge gained during his treatment will be useful in the CDC's treatment of the female charity worker when she returns to the US (and to others afflicted with the virus outside of the US)?

Ref:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/cdc-chief...1407081530

(HOTD edit: corrected name spelling)
Eating bush meat (monkees, apes) is not a good idea.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(08-04-2014, 10:09 AM)Maggot Wrote: Eating bush meat

Gosh. I guess I won't go there. I wanted to!
(08-04-2014, 10:09 AM)Maggot Wrote: Eating bush meat (monkees, apes) is not a good idea.

Maybe they didn't cook it through and through to 190 degrees temp! hah