Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TAMIR RICE, 12 -- KILLED BY CLEVELAND POLICE
(11-29-2014, 09:53 AM)thekid65 Wrote: HoTD..IMO, you see a kid, holding a weapon you believe to be real, I dont care if it takes 20 shots...motherfucker isnt getting a chance to use it. These guys have to make split second decisions, and they are exposed to the most heinous bullshit on a daily basis. It's easy to sit back and judge...walk a mile in their moccasins..then come back and talk.

I've spent a fair share of my life living smack dab in urban areas with high crime, Kid.

I have no reason to believe that these officers shot Tamir Rice because he was black. I have no reason to believe that these officers were looking to kill someone when they responded to the call, much less a kid. I have every reason to believe that these cops believed that Tamir was an adult; I heard the officer say so directly as Tamir was dying in the grass.

I have reason to believe that these cops were operating with less information about what they were potentially approaching than what could have been available to them. I heard the 911 complaint call, and I heard what the dispatcher relayed to the responding officers. I believe that the information which was not passed on to the responders may have influenced their perceptions and could have resulted in a different outcome.

I have reason to question why an assessment wasn't made before fatal shots were fired in this case -- I've watched the video and it happened very quickly -- in under 2 seconds. I understand that you believe it was an appropriate approach and an appropriate shooting response. However, the Deputy Chief of Police acknowledges that questions pertaining to the appropriateness of the manner in which the officers approached and their quickness in firing are valid questions that need to be investigated. I agree with the Chief over TheKid65.

The cops were not being fired upon and they were aware that the person they were approaching had not fired a gun at all. They yelled instructions (reportedly) out the door of a running car and shot the person (who turned out to be a kid with a toy gun) within 2 seconds of reported non-compliance.

The cops may have been justified, or it may be that the rookie was unqualified to respond to such a call. The 911 dispatcher may have been justified in leaving out details when communicating with responding officers, or she may have been in violation of policy. I'm interested to hear what the investigation reveals. Until then, I respect that you don't think it's appropriate to question police or 911 under such circumstances. I disagree and think it's dangerous not to ask questions in such circumstances, even though I'm well aware of the dangers that LEOs face in areas like Cleveland and I appreciate what they do. Different views, that's all.

Messages In This Thread
RE: TAMIR RICE, 12 -- KILLED BY CLEVELAND POLICE - by HairOfTheDog - 11-29-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Ferguson - by Midwest Spy - 11-28-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Duchess - 11-28-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Blindgreed1 - 11-28-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Ferguson - by HairOfTheDog - 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Ferguson - by HairOfTheDog - 11-28-2014, 05:26 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Duchess - 11-28-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: Ferguson - by HairOfTheDog - 11-28-2014, 07:41 PM
RE: Ferguson - by username - 11-28-2014, 07:50 PM