Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BY GOD, IT'S MY RIGHT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU!
(05-03-2015, 11:37 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-03-2015, 09:51 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: You see there is a still a lot to worry about....Can we just give the gay issue a rest and continue to treat others as we would want to be treated.

There will always be a lot of important social issues for civic-minded people to worry about simultaneously, that's true.

I think continuous improvement is inherent in developed societies, though one group's "improvement" is often another's "set back". Sometimes it seems to me that free speech is being quashed or restricted in the process these days - when that speech conflicts with what's perceived as the politically correct stance. That bothers me a little at times, but there's always a choice to speak out (even if there's backlash) or stay quiet.

Anyway, the gay community has been speaking out -- loudly and constantly -- for a very long time. They've made large strides in their quest for equal rights over the last few years. It's not a minor issue for them and I don't think they would consider giving it a rest when they're on a roll and they still have a long way to go. They're gonna keep fighting for the rights to live, marry, and receive marital benefits anywhere in the country, equal to heterosexuals. The gay rights movement, IMO, doesn't take away from other important simultaneous movements towards minimizing child abuse, ending mass unwarranted incarceration, and pushing for road repairs.

But, I agree that it's easy to get overloaded if one attempts to contribute or keep up with every good cause.

i think you should know by now, I will never get off my soapbox when it comes to equality....but sometimes, the media just seems to Beat_deadhorse and I don't want to hear ever minute case of problems caused by being gay, a woman, or another member of a minority group. I am going to let the younger whippersnappers take over for me. However, I will stand up for equality until I take my last breath, but I must give some time to other worries as should the media....they/we need to pick their/our battles. We can't take up each and every case of someone, be it a child, adult, gay, white, black, etc. being treated unfairly because it happens every day, every minute. Rather, we need to continue the bigger battle which is equal rights......for everyone. For example, the prevalence of rogue cops killing citizens (before establishing guilt/innocence)....We can't just change the mindset of the people in Ferguson, MO or in Baltimore, MD....we have to change the mindset of people, period......yes, I know it has to start somewhere, but....gays, women and others are going to be treated unfairly and that is a fact of life. We could better use our energy in educating others that differences aren't really bad, it is the unknown which is bad and causes mistrust and hate. I guess I was just frustrated at this moment on this particular day about all the stories I read every day which speak of unjust and/or unfair treatment, but disposition of these individual cases doesn't resolve the basic, original problem. For example, a child commits suicide due to bullying, the media reports it, we talk about it here on Mock and agree it is terrible and needs to stop, but it doesn't stop.....All of these societal problems are related in that we can prevent and perhaps in future can reduce occurrences by education, grass roots organizations, etc. I have signed a bunch of petitions lately. Paper wars can and do work. I recall when I worked for Department of Army during Vietnam war. I lost neighbors and friends in that war. I happened to work at at Correctional training facility at Ft Riley, Ks. The prisoners there were young men who had gone AWOL and/or deserted the Army because they did not want to go to Vietnam...My job was to correspond with Congressmen re complaints made on behalf of these young men (all men). I wore a bracelet in honor of MIA in Vietnam. In the weekly Ft Riley newsletter, the CG, had talked about giving support to those missing in action and writing to Hoichi min. I took a petition around the office and asked approximately 100 civilian employees to sign this petition in the hopes of putting pressure on North Vietnam. Do you know that not one of those fuckers would sign the petition....I did, as did many residents of the military community, and when the prisoners were finally released in 72, 73, it was, in large part, due to pressure put on North Vietnam due to all the letters received from civilians at Fort Riley, Kansas and other military bases and civilians all over the US. Today, i think the media sometimes harms the cause more than helps because they so want to "stir the pot." Ft Riley housed the "Big Red One." We have to continue supporting those lawmakers who believe in equality and sort out the good ole' boys who just need to die off. They have been in Congress for some 100 years (just kidding Sally and FQ2). Why oh why, don't we insist as constituents that there should be term limits. No, we can't change people's minds overnight, but we can sure try to educate people and try to dissipate old wives' tales which results in misinformation, misunderstandings,bickering, etc....We don't all have to agree, but if we can't someday reach a goal where everyone is treated equally, then we shouldn't even be called humans....With all that being said (and then some), in our "fight" for equal rights, we sure don't want to fall into some gigantic hole in the road and disappear from this planet so let's go ahead and legalize pot in every state so that have the dang money to fix all the roads and to um.....feed the poor. Some of you will think that means people who are getting handouts from Government, but i think every society, even primitive cultures take care of the needy and hungry. It is just a thing that most human beings do for their fellow man. Some people are down and out through no fault of their own....Some of lost value in our homes, our mutual funds, our stocks, or maybe some of you lost your home to foreclosure, maybe lost a job to downsizing. You can have a Master's degree and still lose your job...we need to work on our compassion maybe...If someone is collecting money from welfare who doesn't deserve it or who is cheating system to get the money, then i am going to get my dander up. Sometimes we judge without knowing the rest of the story....

Messages In This Thread
RE: BY GOD, IT'S MY RIGHT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU! - by blueberryhill - 05-04-2015, 12:55 AM