Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BY GOD, IT'S MY RIGHT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU!
(05-04-2015, 08:40 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: You seem like someone who is sincerely committed to equal rights and vocal about it, blueberry. I think that's cool and agree with you that sometimes mountains get made of molehills on hot topic issues and people can lose perspective.

I don't think that discrimination will ever end either, but it can be reduced.

I hear and read a lot of comments from people who truly don't believe that racial discrimination and systematic injustice exists in America. That sexual orientation is a choice. That transgenders are just self-loathing gays in denial. That if a non-white or female wins the presidency it's not primarily because that candidate is most qualified or perceived to be more committed to improving the diverse society's well being, but instead due his or her gender or skin color... Are they wrong? Well, I don't share their views, but I consider what they have to say and sometimes see something I'd missed previously.

To me, evaluating and discussing individual stories related to those topics can and sometimes does change perspectives over time, which is evidenced by shifting public opinion on those topics (and many others). I see all of those topics being addressed at a macro level now too -- by the Supreme Court, the DOJ, the ACLU, Presidential candidates... In my opinion, there are a few historically significant equal rights movements underway in America right now; it's a very interesting time.

Maybe because I'm not on Facebook or other social media, I don't get bombarded with comments and stories that I don't give a shit about. There are so many media sources and topics being covered at any given time, it's easy for me to pick and choose what I want to read or discuss, even when certain stories are dominating the news.

Oh no, I am not saying it shouldn't be here on Mock. I am thankful that we have you as a resource.....It is never boring here and there should be a diversity of subject matter to encourage debate, pot shots, humor, learning, etc. I wasn't suggesting this stuff shouldn't be posted. Most definitely, it should. The irony of the two stories were just emotionally draining for me....It is like damn if you do and damn if you don't clique. You keep up the good work......Cheers!
Blowing-kisses

Messages In This Thread
RE: BY GOD, IT'S MY RIGHT TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST YOU! - by blueberryhill - 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM