Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2 YR OLD DEORR KUNZ JR, MISSING FROM IDAHO CAMPGROUND
(07-16-2015, 09:12 PM)Adub Wrote: I am thinking the discrepancy in time is from when anyone last saw the little guy to when 911 was called. It had been about an hour. Not a big a aha gotcha moment ...

Yeah, it might not mean anything.

The parents were at the campsite. Little Deorr was playing with gramps near the campire and mom and dad figured he would be good with gramps for a few minutes and it was near his nap time anyway. So, they decided to go a very short distance for a very short time to explore (I assume they wanted alone time and kind of sneaked off, but that's just my assumption). They say they were gone for 10 to 15 minutes. They say they searched for 20 minutes after returning to the campsite to find Deorr missing and gramps clueless, and then immediately called 911. That's according to the interview posted upthread.

So, according to the interview, mom called 911 between 30 and 35 minutes from the last time that she and Deorr Sr. personally saw little Deorr.

But, in the 911 call (transcript below), mom Jessica Mitchell says that little Deorr has been missing for about an hour.

911 OPERATOR: What`s the address of your emergency?

JESSICA MITCHELL, MOTHER: I`m actually camping in Leadore, just outside of Leadore. My 2-year-old son -- we can`t find him.

911 OPERATOR: How long has he been missing?

MITCHELL: About an hour.

911 OPERATOR: An hour?

MITCHELL: Yes.

911 OPERATOR: Are you by water?

MITCHELL: Yes.

911 OPERATOR: Do you know which campground you`re in?

MITCHELL: It`s Stone Reservoir, Timber Creek.

911 OPERATOR: Stone Reservoir?

MITCHELL: Yes, or Timber Creek.

911 OPERATOR: Hold on. We need search and rescue. Jessica? Jessica?

MITCHELL: Yes?

[20:05:00]911 OPERATOR: What`s your son`s name?

MITCHELL: Deorr.

911 OPERATOR: OK. What was he wearing?

MITCHELL: He was wearing cowboy boots, a blue pair of, like, pajama pants, and a camo jacket. And he`s got shaggy blond hair.

911 OPERATOR: Is your husband calling, too?

MITCHELL: (INAUDIBLE) like, all down where we`re camping at, and we can`t find him at all.

911 OPERATOR: OK. We need you to stay within cell service. We have people going on the way.

MITCHELL: Thank you.

So, either mom and dad were gone longer than 10 - 15 minutes. Or, they hadn't actually seen Deorr for nearly a half an hour prior to leaving the campsite to explore (and neither had gramps). Or, mom told the 911 operator that little Deorr was missing for twice as long as he really was, for some reason. Or, mom simply misspoke to either the 911 operator or to the reporter. Or...

It's just curious to me, is all.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2 YR OLD DEORR KUNZ JR, MISSING FROM IDAHO CAMPGROUND - by HairOfTheDog - 07-17-2015, 11:37 AM