Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal?
Yeah, we're not going to agree Jimbone.

As far as estimates for break out times, nuclear bombing vs. nuclear program advancement, etc...I acknowledged before and I do again that they've been all over the map within and between Israel's government, the US's government, Iran's government... Some of that, IMO, is due to self-serving rhetoric at the time of the estimates, some of it is likely due to honest mistakes in calculations, some if it may be due to the various means and terms in gauging nuclear abilities...

If this deal gets passed, there will be consistent criteria in measuring and reporting between Iran and five other major world powers -- big step forward. Relying on Netanyahu and Israel for that data is unwise. They have a different perspective based on locale and they benefit (financially and otherwise) from keeping their enemy at odds with their ally and serving as the primary provider of that intel. It's much better and more reliable to get that information regarding Iran's nuclear capacity from independent inspectors than it is to really on a source with a vested interest in how the information is presented or misrepresented, IMO.

Iran's relationship with Hezbollah has nothing to do with Iran's capabilities in producing a nuclear weapon or a nuclear program, nor with this nuclear proliferation agreement between the P5+1 and Iran. You and Netanyah might fear that, if and when Iran has a nuclear bomb or program, Hezbollah operatives could use it to their advantage. That may be true. But, Iran is no more or less capable of producing a nuclear weapon or program because of Hezbollah.

On the other hand, if the final details and agreements get approved and the deal becomes adhered-to policy, Iran will be less capable of producing a weapon or program, outwardly or secretly, for at least a decade because of the P5+1 negotiations. That's a fact. I understand that you and others don't think that benefit is worth the perceived cost, but it doesn't change the fact.

As for trust, this deal isn't based on trust, obviously; thus, the inspection and monitoring requirements. While Netanyahu and many others have good reason to be leery of Iran, Iran has good reasons to feel the same way.

I'm sure that you're aware not every leader, government and individual everywhere in the world would agree with you that Israel is less self-serving and more trustworthy than Iran. And, if this deal passes, Iran will be allowing inspections of its enrichment, energy and development sites regularly. There will be severe penalties for breach of the agreement. Israel, on the other hand, refuses to sign the nuclear non-proliferation agreement and will not allow any inspections. I'd bet that's a jagged pill for neighboring Iran to swallow.

I'm not for or against Iran or Israel. I am for progress and diplomatic means to avoid war. I see much more upside than downside to that end with this proposed agreement. I want the agreement to succeed because I believe it benefits everyone, but I do understand and respect that you have reasons to believe otherwise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Iran and the day they married the bomb. - by HairOfTheDog - 04-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal? - by Carsman - 07-29-2015, 08:40 AM