Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal?
(09-03-2015, 05:04 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: HotD . . . do you believe Iran was pursuing a nuclear weapons program before this agreement was being negotiated and while under UN resolutions and sanctions?

Sorry Tiki. I didn't see your post straight off.

I believe those suspicions were likely true, yes.

I wish that the UN and P5 could have made more progress in nuclear resolutions under Ahmadinejad's regime, but I'm glad progress (in my opinion) has been made during Rouhani's. There was a new opportunity under a new leader and I think it was wise to take it.

Iran possessing nuclear weapons, in and of itself, is not as key to me as it appears to be to many others however.

I do, as a result of the deal, believe the U.S. will be in a better position to more accurately and rationally address our ally Israel's fears of being nuked by Iran. The inspection data under the deal won't be perfect or completely accurate, but certainly much better than it is today. So, U.S. leaders will be able to make informed decisions in regards to Israel's direct or indirect calls for the U.S. to support or initiate military action against Iran. That's important, but it's not the primary benefit of the deal, for me.

For me, the deal's stronger advantages lie in resetting relations in a climate where new enemies represent a growing threat to our national security. They are ideological enemies who aren't confined to country-specific or geographical boundaries; ones who are effectively employing barbaric tactics and marketing campaigns to quickly gain ground and replenish recruits.

Iran is valuable as a partner when it comes to understanding and fighting such mutual enemies in the region. Iran doesn't want the Sunni extremists to gain ground any more than we do.

Iran is also valuable as a partner when it comes to protecting our new mutual ally (Iraq) in the region.

Also, a stronger Iran helps better balance the Sunni (Saudi-led) and Shiite (Iran/Iraq only) powers in the ME -- I think that's an advantage to the rest of the world, at least in the short to mid term.

Sure, the U.S. could have kept up sanctions and hoped for the death of Iran. But, I think that would have been unrealistic and shortsighted. Plus, Russia, China, the UK, France and Germany would have moved away from sanctions without us anyway; they know there are strategic and economic advantages associated with a stronger Iran.

Anyway, I don't trust Iran to always be honest and I think Iran would be fools to trust the U.S. to always be honest. But, we can make mutually-beneficial and enforceable deals/agreements with them nonetheless; happens between individuals, companies, and countries every day. If Iran fails to honor the terms of the deal, we can take action against them, military or otherwise, at that time.

I understand and accept the opinions voiced by those who don't support the deal, the strategy, or even the willingness to talk with Iran in the first place. I just disagree.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal? - by HairOfTheDog - 09-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Iran deal, good deal, or bad deal? - by Carsman - 07-29-2015, 08:40 AM