Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
TERRORIST ATTACKS: PARIS, MALI, AND MORE
(11-14-2015, 10:16 PM)username Wrote: I'm going to read pyro's link(s), Maybe I'll learn something that will override the gut reaction(s) that probably occur in a situation like that. My first reaction probably would be to stand up and run (depending on how close the shooter was). If he/she were close, I think I'd drop to the floor.

It's hard to fathom actually being in a situation like that but that's the first thing people always say. "I can't believe it happened here". Believe it.

The UK just posted guidelines on what to do in the event of a terrorist attack (which applies equally to any mass murder attempt in a public space). A lot of people think playing dead is a good option, but it's not recommended.

GUIDELINES

Run
-Consider the safest options
- Is there a safe route? RUN
-Can you get there without exposing yourself to greater danger?
- Insist others leave with you
-Leave belongings behind
Hide
-If you can't RUN, HIDE
-If you can see the attacker, they may be able to see you
-Find cover from gunfire such as substantial brickwork or heavy reinforced walls
-Be aware of your exits
-Try not to get trapped
-Be quiet, silence your phone
-Lock and barricade yourself in
-Move away from the door
Tell
-Call police: What do the police need to know?
--Direction: Where did you last see the suspects?
--Descriptions: Describe the attacker, numbers, features, clothing, weapons
--Provide further information: Casualties, type of injury, building information, entrances, exits, hostages
--And stop other people entering the building if it is safe to do so

When police arrive, they may point guns at you, treat you firmly, question you, and be unable to distinguish you from the attacker.

You ought to remain calm, keep your hands in view, avoid sudden movements that may appear a threat, and follow officers' instructions.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/19/world/what...-survival/
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/19/world/...index.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: TERRORIST ATTACKS: PARIS, MALI, AND MORE - by HairOfTheDog - 11-22-2015, 09:30 PM