Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DON'T DRINK THE WATER -- FLINT, MICHIGAN & BEYOND
In regards to your points and inquires regarding present-day Flint, Michigan specifically, Love Child...

Shortsightedness on the part of the city council, the former mayor, the state-appointed emergency manager, the governor...definitely contributed to the toxic water crisis.

The actions of some/all of those responsible for the decision to switch to a new temporary water supply to save money -- without ensuring that the DEQ and EPA testing, treatment processes, and checkpoints were in place before the newly-sourced water was delivered through the existing lead pipe infrastructure -- may well have been criminal in addition to shortsighted. There may also have been crimes associated with a cover-up after-the-fact. If crimes of intent or negligence are found to have been committed, I hope the offenders are held accountable under the law.

While I find it very sad and shameful that it took a terrible public health crisis like Flint’s to put them there, I see it as a plus that the nationwide issues of corroded lead pipe infrastructure and potential/existing water toxicity have finally been pushed into the national public spotlight. Old lead piping is used to deliver water for human consumption all over this country and it's been a concern that's gone largely unaddressed by the powers that be for many years.

Water from rivers can be sufficiently tested, treated and verified as safe for public consumption. But, if it’s not also properly treated and tested for anti-corrosion in order to travel within the specific lead pipe infrastructure (as was the case in Flint), yes, I think what happened there could happen in any U.S. city with similar infrastructure - especially if the decision-makers overlook or disregard public safety and regulatory bodies don’t do their jobs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DON'T DRINK THE WATER -- FLINT, MICHIGAN & BEYOND - by HairOfTheDog - 03-08-2016, 08:32 AM