Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
DON'T DRINK THE WATER -- FLINT, MICHIGAN & BEYOND
(03-08-2016, 03:06 PM)Love Child Wrote: A few months after Gov. Snyder removed Flint from the clean fresh water we had been drinking for decades, the brass from General Motors went to him and complained that the Flint River water was causing their car parts to corrode when being washed on the assembly line. The governor was appalled to hear that GM property was being damaged, so he jumped through a number of hoops and quietly spent $440,000 to hook GM back up to the Lake Huron water, while keeping the rest of Flint on the Flint River water.

Which means that while the children in Flint were drinking lead-filled water, there was one -- and only one -- address in Flint that got clean water: the GM factory.

I would like to find out if that is true.

Dispicable.

I'm not sure that Governor Snyder footed the bill for the GM hook up to Lake Huron, Love Child -- it's murky to me.

Here's what I found at a fact check site:
Moore: General Motors Was Given a Special Hookup to the Clean Water. A few months after Governor Snyder removed Flint from the clean fresh water we had been drinking for decades, the brass from General Motors went to him and complained that the Flint River water was causing their car parts to corrode when being washed on the assembly line.

Fact: "Shortly after the city switched from purchasing treated Lake Huron water from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department system to drawing its own from the Flint River in April 2014, the Detroit automaker raised concerns with city officials: The new water was corroding engine parts at GM’s Flint Engine Operations. The problem was the amount of chlorine in the water that had been treated by the city, Wickham said. The corrosion was not directly caused by the quality of water coming from the river — which state officials said in October had excessive levels of lead." [1]

Moore: The Governor was appalled to hear that GM property was being damaged, so he jumped through a number of hoops and quietly spent $440,000 to hook GM back up to the Lake Huron water

FACT: Due to the plant’s location on the Flint city limits, the switch was relatively easy, but reportedly would cost the city upward of $400,000 a year in lost revenue. The switchover was widely reported by local media. GM paid an undisclosed amount to connect to the township’s system.

It should be noted that GM employs 7,000 Flint residents - if the cars parts were not in any condition to be assembled, the state would have to pay much more than $400,000 in unemployment and other benefits until the water issue for GM was resolved, which at the time was not known to be a lead or copper issue.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DON'T DRINK THE WATER -- FLINT, MICHIGAN & BEYOND - by HairOfTheDog - 03-12-2016, 01:48 PM