Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cliven Bundy vs. Government land management
I understand, Duchess. And, you're right about the internet connection coming next.

First, the program applied to land line phone service in the 80s. After Katrina, G.W. Bush expanded it to include cell phone service, and the FCC has just voted to include broadband service as an option too (the expansion of Lifeline did not undergo congressional approval, since the FCC collects funds for the program through additional charges on Americans' monthly cell phone bills -- not through taxes).

Those households at or below 135% poverty line can pick one of the three options (per household) using the preloaded $9.25 per month benefit card. Link: http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/18/technolo...broadband/

There is a lot of fraud in the program, unsurprisingly, and that pisses me off too. I feel that way about people and businesses who abuse any government subsidy/assistance program and I hope the new stricter screening process and regulations minimize the opportunity for recipient fraud and provider corruption. The program currently costs $2 billion per year, which is a hell of a lot of money.

I don't mind paying a little more to help those who truly need it and don't object to the aim of the program, but paying for scammers rubs me way wrong.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cliven Bundy vs. Government land management - by HairOfTheDog - 01-24-2016, 09:15 AM