Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cliven Bundy vs. Government land management
I'm really surprised and disappointed by the verdict just reached by the jury in Oregon.

The jury acquitted the Bundy Brothers and five others, several of whom represented themselves, of conspiring to prevent federal employees from doing their jobs through intimidation, threat or force during the 41-day armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Man, I think this verdict sets a dangerous precedent. There was no argument that the occupiers took over the federal land because they wanted it turned over to themselves and others based on their religiously-driven belief that the Constitution entitled them to it. What was at issue was whether the occupation constituted a federal conspiracy and firearms violation. I sincerely hope this verdict doesn't encourage more militia groups and religious zealots to stage armed takeovers of other federal lands and buildings.

Anyway, several of the defendants are also charged along with Cliven Bundy in the Nevada armed stand-off, the trial for which is scheduled to take place in January. So, they're still being held over pending that trial (which I sure as hell hope has a different outcome).

Ammon Bundy's attorney was pissed that his client wasn't going to be leaving jail a free man today and reportedly had to be restrained by federal officers. I don't know if he was playing for the crowd or what, but he apparently kept screaming, "what are you doing?" as the officers asked him to stop resisting.

Developing story: http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standof...annou.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cliven Bundy vs. Government land management - by HairOfTheDog - 10-27-2016, 09:04 PM