Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
JOGGER MURDERS: KARINA VETRANO & VANESSA MARCOTTE
[Image: karina-vetrano-murdered-jogging-nyc__oPt.jpg]

Funeral services were held yesterday for 30-year-old caterer and avid jogger Karina Vetrano. RIP.

Karina was known to run along the path inside Spring Creek Park at Howard Beach with her father, Philip Vetrano, a retired firefighter.

But when her dad decided not to run with her Tuesday to nurse a back injury, she set out alone around 5 p.m.

Police were alerted a few hours later when Mr. Vetrano became frantic that his daughter hadn’t come home. The cops tracked her cellphone to a marshy area near a path in the park.

Roughly 20 minutes later, a helicopter circling overhead shined a light on a patch of tall weeds about 20 feet off the path — and Vetrano’s father ran to the spot and found his daughter lying face-down. She had been strangled and sexually assaulted.

At this time, investigators appear to be leaning towards a random attack and have interviewed several known sex offenders who live in the area as well as homeless vagrants who live in the park.

There are reports from an unnamed source that a used condom and condom wrapper were found not far from her body. If that's true, hopefully they'll get DNA and be able to match it to a suspect before the killer has a chance to strike again.

Karina was an adventurer and thrill-seeker, according to her Instagram account and the many photos of her enjoying life. She obtained a master's degree from St. John's University in 2015 and worked as a caterer at the Vetro Lounge in Howard Beach.

Refs:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/quee...ign=buffer
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Kar...09622.html

Sad on so many levels as these things always are, particularly her Dad finding her like that :(
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(08-07-2016, 12:52 PM)Duchess Wrote: Sad on so many levels as these things always are, particularly her Dad finding her like that :(

It's absolutely horrible.

Karina's funeral was held on Sunday. Yesterday, her parents addressed the media. Her mom is not only devastated in losing her daughter, but also very focused and angry; I would be too. I hope Karina's family get the swift justice they deserve.

[Image: 36FB0C6000000578-3728345-image-a-74_1470601756055.jpg]

The press conference was held outside the family's house where a memorial stood. Vetrano's father began by thanking the NYPD for their work in finding the suspect who sexually assaulted and strangled his daughter.

"All the police have been tireless, courageous, kind, generous and helpful beyond words," Philip Vetrano said. "My self and my family owe everything to the NYPD."

Vetrano's wife, Cathy, was more vocal about her daughter's death, sending a blunt message to the killer — who she called a coward — that is still on the loose.

"I'm here to remind you, in case you don't already know, that now it's the whole entire world against you. The whole entire world knows what a pathetic, puny, weak piece of filth that you are," Vetrano's wife said.

"And soon, I know we're all going to know your face as well," she said. "You will know that my daughter was a force to be reckoned with."

"My daughter was a big believer in karma," she continued. "I guarantee you — you will pay, forever."

http://pix11.com/2016/08/07/you-will-pay...peaks-out/
Shit, another young woman from NY has been brutally killed while jogging.

[Image: 3702D8DB00000578-3729958-image-m-60_1470679300104.jpg]

A Google account manager from New York City who disappeared on an afternoon jog while visiting her mother in Massachusetts has been found murdered in the woods.

Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said Monday that ^ 27-year-old Vanessa Marcotte was reported missing after failing to return from a run between 1pm and 4pm in Princeton on Sunday. RIP.

Her body was discovered at around 8.20pm Sunday by a state police K9 unit near Brooks Station Road, about a half-mile from her mother's home.

A source told Fox25 in Boston that investigators were examining the possibility that Marcotte was sexually assaulted and set on fire, with burns to her hands, head and feet.

Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said Monday. 'We have a horrible set of facts, horrible circumstance,' Early told reporters during a news conference. He added that it was unclear whether Marcotte's killing was a random act of violence and urged local residents to remain vigilant and exercise caution. 'People should be concerned,' Early said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...woods.html
Joggers (especially females) need to start "packin"!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I don't think people literally running around with loaded guns in their hands would increase safety, personally. But, it is unfortunate that female joggers are particularly vulnerable, even before dark, when they run alone in parks and woods. Jogging in pairs and avoiding sparsely populated locations is a better way to minimize the risk, in my opinion.

Discouraging news in Karina's case -- while LE was able to get a DNA sample from her body, it doesn't match anyone currently known to police and none of the two dozens leads has yet proved useful in the investigation.

Known sex offenders in the area have been interviewed and police are now looking for surveillance videos which may have captured Karina and/or her killer near the area.

Yesterday the president of Queens Burough requested funds to add surveillance cameras which would capture everyone who enters the Spring Creek Park where Karina was attacked and killed.

Thus far, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Karina's and Vanessa's murders are linked.

Ref: http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/chu...1.12147791
(08-09-2016, 10:08 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I don't think people literally running around with loaded guns in their hands would increase safety, personally. But, it is unfortunate that female joggers are particularly vulnerable, even before dark, when they run alone in parks and woods. Jogging in pairs and avoiding sparsely populated locations is a better way to minimize the risk, in my opinion.

Discouraging news in Karina's case -- while LE was able to get a DNA sample from her body, it doesn't match anyone currently known to police and none of the two dozens leads has yet proved useful in the investigation.

Known sex offenders in the area have been interviewed and police are now looking for surveillance videos which may have captured Karina and/or her killer near the area.

Yesterday the president of Queens Burough requested funds to add surveillance cameras which would capture everyone who enters the Spring Creek Park where Karina was attacked and killed.

Thus far, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Karina's and Vanessa's murders are linked.

Ref: http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/chu...1.12147791
Another female jogger killed in Massachusetts.
Vanessa Marcotte is from New York City and was killed while jogging during a visit to Massachusetts.

I haven't seen that a third jogger has been killed (in Massachusetts).

Are you referring to Vanessa, Gunnar?
(08-09-2016, 10:18 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Vanessa Marcotte is from New York City and was killed while jogging during a visit to Massachusetts.

Just caught a blip about it on the morning news before I left for work. Didn't catch the name. I believe she was from NY and visiting her mother? Either way, they're using the word serial. What's the confirmed count on victims HoTD?
Mass and NYC not all that far apart, very easy commute for a motivated rapist/killer. Hope they catch the dude, rape and predatory murder are areas where I am straight up conservative and cheerfully advocate putting them down like mad dogs. People don't unlearn that kind of behavior.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(08-09-2016, 10:39 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 10:18 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Vanessa Marcotte is from New York City and was killed while jogging during a visit to Massachusetts.

Just caught a blip about it on the morning news before I left for work. Didn't catch the name. I believe she was from NY and visiting her mother? Either way, they're using the word serial. What's the confirmed count on victims HoTD?

It's just Karina and Vanessa at this point, Gunnar.

I understand why a lot of people suspect there may be serial killer on the loose, given the similarities between the two cases.

But, I don't think any link between the murders of Karina and Vanessa has been established thus far.

I get the sense LE has, at least internally, ruled out family and friends in Karina's case, and of course they've got that unidentified DNA.

In Vanessa's case, I think LE is probably still interviewing family, friends, boyfriends, local sex offenders, etc... and also pursuing an unfamiliar predator angle.

Not much has been released in the way of evidence in Vanessa's case yet. Hopefully, LE can obtain offender DNA in her case too.
(08-09-2016, 11:18 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 10:39 AM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:

It's just Karina and Vanessa at this point, Gunnar.

I understand why a lot of people suspect there may be serial killer on the loose, given the similarities between the two cases.

But, I don't think any link between the murders of Karina and Vanessa has been established at this point.

I get the sense LE has, at least internally, ruled out family and friends in Karina's case, and of course they've got that unidentified DNA.

In Vanessa's case, I think LE is probably still interviewing family, friends, boyfriends, local sex offenders, etc... and also pursuing an unfamiliar predator angle.

Not much has been released in the way of evidence in Vanessa's case yet. Hopefully, LE can obtain offender DNA in her case too.
I just read up. Sorry, didn't notice you already posted up her story. So... There are two jogging victims (1 in NY and 1 in Mass.) and the media is throwing the term "serial killer" around about two cases which have yet to be confirmed related? Irresponsible journalism. If the two are related I'd be surprised if there weren't many more victims. They don't just decide to start killing on a whim. It's a process of escalating fantasy.
In following the cases, I haven't personally seen mainstream media throwing around 'serial killer' irresponsibly.

I've seen commenters on news/forum outlets wondering if there might be serial killer, or at least a two-time killer, given the similarities in Karina's and Vanessa's cases; LE has noted that they haven't established a connection at this time; and the media is covering it all.

In any case, I think it's good that LE, via the media, is cautioning joggers about running alone in isolated areas.

I just read that two women have invented a booby trap bra containing a knife to protect joggers in the wake of Vetrano’s murder in this piece about recent female jogger murders: http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/vanessa-ma...n-jogging/
(08-09-2016, 12:10 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: In following the cases, I haven't personally seen mainstream media throwing around 'serial killer' irresponsibly.

I've seen commenters on news/forum outlets wondering if there might be serial killer, or at least a two-time killer, given the similarities in Karina's and Vanessa's cases; LE has noted that they haven't established a connection at this time; and the media is covering it all.

In any case, I think it's good that LE, via the media, is cautioning joggers about running alone in isolated areas.

I just read that two women have invented a booby trap bra containing a knife to protect joggers in the wake of Vetrano’s murder in this piece about recent female jogger murders: http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/vanessa-ma...n-jogging/
That's what caught my attention this morning. ABC morning news used the term in delivering the story.
We've got many, many bike/jogging trails here, and there are stretches on a couple of them that are very isolated.

I've been through these stretches and encountered women jogging on their own and immediately worried about their safety.

As sad as it is to say, I think women should have a partner when they're out jogging.
(08-09-2016, 10:56 AM)Donovan Wrote: Mass and NYC not all that far apart, very easy commute for a motivated rapist/killer. Hope they catch the dude, rape and predatory murder are areas where I am straight up conservative and cheerfully advocate putting them down like mad dogs. People don't unlearn that kind of behavior.
People may not unlearn that type of behavior, but we could certainly benefit from learning more about them. Study them, examine them, interview them, then, after execution slice up the brain for comparison to others who exhibit the same behaviors. Find out why the wiring is so horribly fucked up.
Sometimes you just get a rotten one. End of story. I'm all for rehabilitating people who have made horrible mistakes or negligent acts of homicide. Like the saying goes, we are all just one very bad night away from destruction and insanity. But serial predators, those guys are different. They hunt. They practice. They hone their skills. Those guys aren't going to get cured. So you put them down.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

I used to foolishly think that if people were loved & nurtured they would grow up well adjusted but I've since learned differently. Some people are just born fucked up and no amount of love will change it. They are mean and hateful children, the kind that torture bugs, animals and other little kids and they grow up to be a bigger, stronger version of that.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(08-09-2016, 04:07 PM)Donovan Wrote: Sometimes you just get a rotten one. End of story. I'm all for rehabilitating people who have made horrible mistakes or negligent acts of homicide. Like the saying goes, we are all just one very bad night away from destruction and insanity. But serial predators, those guys are different. They hunt. They practice. They hone their skills. Those guys aren't going to get cured. So you put them down.
Bundy and Kemper were very good examples of how wrong you are. Both gave us plenty of insight and helped develop a better understanding of sexual predators/serial killers. Again, it's not about rehabilitation, it's about having a better understanding of what we are dealing with. Nobody is born a serial killer. John Douglass knows a bit about this.
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/PO96ID6glHM [/video]
(08-09-2016, 02:01 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: We've got many, many bike/jogging trails here, and there are stretches on a couple of them that are very isolated.

I've been through these stretches and encountered women jogging on their own and immediately worried about their safety.

As sad as it is to say, I think women should have a partner when they're out jogging.

I jog with bear pepper spray. You can buy it at any outdoor store. Also Walmart has pepper spray. It is more expensive at Walmart surprisingly. Speaking about bears, mama bear sure is mad, and I can't blame her. I would have the same reaction.