CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS

Is there a place for them in our society or do they belong in museums as part of history?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think they belong right where they have been for all these years.
The only reason they are being removed at all is a bunch of butt hurt assholes are pushing the agenda that the average white guy is at fault for all the woes that the blacks in this country are at fault.
All that anti slavery talk is straight up bullshit. Slavery was outlawed in 1863, 2 or 3 years AFTER the civil war started, which puts the lie to the idea that the civil war was about slavery in the first place. The civil war was about money and self determination and states rights, that's it.
I don't think we should hide our history. Good, bad or indifferent, it's our history.
If they want to hide our history in the bowels of some basement museum, then every historical statue or monument in this country needs to be hidden. That includes MLK, Obama, Lincoln, Washington, etc...every single one!
We know by now, it only takes one butthurt, basement dwelling pussy to get their feelings hurt walking by a monument or statue and getting offended for the reason why it's there.
Let's go ahead and hide the history and pretend none of this ugly stuff never happened...let's forget that we've grown and learned from THAT history...let's just see what happens.
10, 9, 8, 7, ...........
Well of course you would all say that, racists. 43

They won't stop until all Confederate monuments are removed and erased from public spaces. The movement is well afoot.

The statue of Lenin is Seattle is safe however, so rest easy.
(08-15-2017, 09:27 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Well of course you would all say that, racists. 43

They won't stop until all Confederate monuments are removed and erased from public spaces. The movement is well afoot.

The statue of Lenin is Seattle is safe however, so rest easy.

Waiting for them to blast the side off of Stone Mountain any day. That park and all the activities they do there will die a fast death within a year or two...along with the town.
(08-15-2017, 08:46 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: If they want to hide our history in the bowels of some basement museum, then every historical statue or monument in this country needs to be hidden. That includes MLK, Obama, Lincoln, Washington, etc...every single one!
We know by now, it only takes one butthurt, basement dwelling pussy to get their feelings hurt walking by a monument or statue and getting offended for the reason why it's there.
Let's go ahead and hide the history and pretend none of this ugly stuff never happened...let's forget that we've grown and learned from THAT history...let's just see what happens.
10, 9, 8, 7, ...........
He was opposed to gay marriage, so yeah, MLK should be hidden as well. I read a book about this a long time ago. It was called 1984 by Orwell. In it, all of history was erased and rewritten. Pretty cool huh?
It doesn't bother me if they stay up, nor if they get relocated to historical museums. I don't have a problem with the people and elected representatives of the state/city where they're erected making that decision.

Society progresses and, for some, people and events that were once publicly glorified no longer should be. History doesn't change or get erased because of monuments, though it sure does get interpreted/revised by some people to reflect their own views.

Anyway, it does bother me a lot when out of staters with a bigoted agenda use the removal of memorials as a catalyst to unite in spewing anti-semitic and racist bullshit, especially when people get injured or killed. Leaders of white nationalist groups have declared Charlottseville 'a victory' and pledged to continue with their agenda. I'm sure they'll continue to face protests from locals who don't want that bullshit going down in their backyards.

I read that four monuments were just removed from Baltimore overnight. Hopefully, if there are protests and counter-protests, they'll be peaceful there. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/marylan...story.html
(08-16-2017, 10:41 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I read that four monuments were just removed from Baltimore overnight. Hopefully, if there are protests and counter-protests, they'll be peaceful there. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/marylan...story.html

Yeah, that all went down last night and it was peaceful, some have even said it was a celebratory atmosphere. There is a ton of talk around about them being removed, I haven't heard any negativity so far but I've only talked with people who live around here and the surrounding area. That's not say that everyone agrees with it, it is history after all, but people are accepting of it. I have mixed feelings. At the end of the day I am all for whatever helps people to live in harmony.
The good news is now that those pesky Confederate statues are gone, Baltimore and its future are brighter than ever. No longer will the long shadow of the Confederacy continue to keep the citizens of Baltimore down. The rampant crime, neighborhood deterioration, and pervasive drug culture in Charm City will now disappear! From North Avenue to Charles Street, a new day is dawning!

These statues have of course been responsible for the complete and utter failure of the city leaders for decades. But no more! With their removal, a chicken in every pot! The crime and corruption they caused will now abate. The poverty and homelessness they created are over. No longer will anyone feel unsafe walking the streets of Baltimore at any hour, in any place.

Commendations all around to the city leaders for finally spending time, energy, and fiscal resources to rid Baltimore of its scourge.

Harmony at last!

Well, I don't know about all that. I don't ever travel out away from the Inner Harbor. It's not safe!
(08-16-2017, 01:29 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Well, I don't know about all that. I don't ever travel out away from the Inner Harbor. It's not safe!

Now that the boons got their way, do you think that will change?
(08-16-2017, 02:33 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Now that the boons got their way, do you think that will change?

Are boons black people?

According to what I've heard this decision was made by the city council and it's been something they have been talking about since that kid shot all the people at the black church.

This is going on across America right now. No one wants white supremacy in their towns, not the leaders, not the citizens. As far as I can tell, the only time an issue is made of these monuments coming down is when those involved with white supremacy make it one.

I'm a Yankee, I don't know much about the old South and how things were done and I don't much care one way or another about the monuments.
(08-16-2017, 02:48 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 02:33 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Now that the boons got their way, do you think that will change?

Are boons black people?

According to what I've heard this decision was made by the city council and it's been something they have been talking about since that kid shot all the people at the black church.

This is going on across America right now. No one wants white supremacy in their towns, not the leaders, not the citizens. As far as I can tell, the only time an issue is made of these monuments coming down is when those involved with white supremacy make it one.

I'm a Yankee, I don't know much about the old South and how things were done and I don't much care one way or another about the monuments.
Yeah, I can't see them from my house either.
There is a place for monuments in every other country. What are we supposed to be a country with no culture or history or charm whatsoever because now all of the sudden it's offending a bunch of idiots?

It just seems so ridiculous to me, but people have nothing better to do I guess.
(08-17-2017, 12:02 AM)sally Wrote: now all of the sudden it's offending a bunch of idiots?

I haven't seen any citizens complaining about the monuments. I think it's a little more complicated than that. Community leaders have been the ones I've seen being proactive and making the decisions to remove them.

We are all white people. What the hell do we know about living black in America?

I read an interesting stat recently, I hope I recall the numbers correctly. There were 147 arrests in Ferguson, some of you will recall that's where there were blacks protesting. In Charlottesville where whites were protesting and there was a murder, there was only 4 arrests.

I believe racism exists and I believe blacks get the shitty end of the stick in America.

What follows is a letter from Stonewall Jackson's family -

Dear Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney and members of the Monument Avenue Commission,

We are native Richmonders and also the great, great grandsons of Stonewall Jackson. As two of the closest living relatives to Stonewall, we are writing today to ask for the removal of his statue, as well as the removal of all Confederate statues from Monument Avenue. They are overt symbols of racism and white supremacy, and the time is long overdue for them to depart from public display. Overnight, Baltimore has seen fit to take this action. Richmond should, too.

In making this request, we wish to express our respect and admiration for Mayor Stoney’s leadership while also strongly disagreeing with his claim that “removal of symbols does [nothing] for telling the actual truth [nor] changes the state and culture of racism in this country today.” In our view, the removal of the Jackson statue and others will necessarily further difficult conversations about racial justice. It will begin to tell the truth of us all coming to our senses.

Story
(08-17-2017, 05:03 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 12:02 AM)sally Wrote: now all of the sudden it's offending a bunch of idiots?

I haven't seen any citizens complaining about the monuments. I think it's a little more complicated than that. Community leaders have been the ones I've seen being proactive and making the decisions to remove them.

We are all white people. What the hell do we know about living black in America?

I read an interesting stat recently, I hope I recall the numbers correctly. There were 147 arrests in Ferguson, some of you will recall that's where there were blacks protesting. In Charlottesville where whites were protesting and there was a murder, there was only 4 arrests.

I believe racism exists and I believe blacks get the shitty end of the stick in America.
I know a little bit about that. Being one who has a sister from Africa who came to America. I can tell you that her opinion is that she has never been a slave and she knows that I have never owned a slave and thus believes that black Americans spend too much time living in the past and as one who actually lived in Africa in the recent past, she knows how much better life has been for her here than it was or ever could be in her home country. She knows that her opportunities here far surpass anything she could have ever known in Lesotho. She believes that racism is alive and well here in the good ole US, but she also believes that black folks have a heavy hand in keeping it alive and well and share the responsibility with white folks. Racism isn't something that will be resolved by white people or people of color alone. Everyone needs to embrace humanity and realize we are all just humans sharing this earth. I doubt I will see it happen in my lifetime.
In the current racial environment, Nothing will be good enough. There have always been problems, but the last 10 years have seen in the coddling of race baiters and its getting worse.
So they get their way and remove the monuments, some asshole preacher wants the founding fathers names removed, what next? Reparations?
I think the whole notion of removing the monuments is wrong.
The white racists are wrong, I do understand some of their anger though. We average working straight white guys have been getting blamed for every evil in the world, called all kinds of names, seen out country going down hill and a Lot of us are getting Really fed up with it. They have good reasons to be pissed off. What they are doing is wrong. But that said, all that bullshit the blm and antifa and the aclu are doing is just as wrong. Mr Trump did the right thing when he call out All Sides, and promptly gos called a racist for not just calling out the whites, fucking assholes
I did take note this AM that Nancy Pelosi is now railing for Confederate monuments to be removed from the US Capital.

One has to wonder why on earth she didn't take up this mantle when she was in power all those years?

Ain't political expediency grand?