Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN 2016 US ELECTION & SPIN-OFF INVESTIGATIONS
(09-02-2018, 10:17 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-02-2018, 10:00 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I think the challenge in bringing a case of conspiracy is proving that the collusion involved intent to commit a criminal act.

I absolutely expect to see that proven way, waaaay beyond reasonable doubt.

I'm really interested in seeing the results of the Mueller investigation and hope the report is made public shortly after its completion.

Mueller reportedly won't break protocol and indict a sitting president if his investigators uncover criminal activity.  He's said to be a traditionalist.  

If that's true, I don't think the reasonable doubt standard would come into play unless criminal charges were filed and the case went to trial after departure or removal from office.

There is not a reasonable doubt requirement in impeachment trials.  Guilt or innocence is instead left to the individual senators to decide based on their own criteria, as I understand it. 

Impeachments are tried in the Senate with the Chief Justice presiding, and an impeachment verdict requires the concurrence of two thirds of the senators present.  Unless the Dems take back majority control of the Senate this year (which I personally doubt), impeachment seems like a long shot to me given the current political climate.

But, if there was enough evidence of serious criminal activity and the Senate actually did impeach, the extent of punishment would be removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States, according to the Constitution.

After impeachment, the President could be subject to criminal trial for the offenses in a court of law like anybody else though.  Richard Nixon avoided criminal charges after his impeachment and resignation when President Ford pardoned him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE IN 2016 US ELECTION & SPIN-OFF INVESTIGATIONS - by HairOfTheDog - 09-03-2018, 02:12 AM