Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
Anyhow, even though migration numbers are comparatively low..........what's more difficult than it was up until a decade ago is the fact that more Central American migrants are minors who cross the border alone and parents entering with minor children.

Children can't just be turned away alone and shouldn't be separated from their parents or forced to represent themselves in immigration court, in my opinion.

We as a country need to plan better for the changing face of migration and should seriously consider the fact that when we're at full employment, like we are now, there aren't enough Americans to fill lower wage and manual labor jobs.

It's particularly difficult in agriculture, where the farmers are simultaneously being hurt financially by tariff trade wars.

I know I'm repeating myself, but comprehensive immigration reform is so long overdue because Congress has gotten nowhere for nearly 10 years now. So, we keep going in circles trying to apply old/insufficient processes instead of coming up with solutions.

Unfortunately, even when there are Republicans and Democrats who reach across the aisle and propose reasonable bi-partisan legislation (as has been the case several times), the anti-immigration hard-liners in the Republican Freedom Caucus won't support it.

That Caucus is large and powerful enough (for now) to stop new legislation in its tracks.

Sad situation all the way around, to me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 10-21-2018, 06:58 PM