Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
(10-20-2018, 11:00 AM)Duchess Wrote: Why do some of you think the worst of people who are seeking a better life?

In my observation:

-Fear-mongering by U.S. politicians who benefit politically from it, via: 

--misinformation regarding the long term cost/benefit ratio (not exclusively monetary) when it comes to immigration,
--perpetuating the lie that "millions of illegal aliens vote illegally",
--lack of understanding or concern regarding the high levels of violence/ extortion the citizens of some Central American countries face from criminal organizations and complicit/corrupt government leaders (and the U.S.'s role in enabling it, particularly in Guatemala), 
--re-enforcing the false narrative that migrants are largely 'criminals' when facts prove that the percentage of migrants who are criminals is very low,

-Prejudice, fear of 'less-deserving others'.....

I don't support open borders, that's not a solution in my opinion.

And, the U.S. already gives Central American countries large amounts of economic aid, though it has been cut under the Trump administration. Simply throwing more money at the governments of Central America is not the solution (and I didn't suggest that it was).

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 10-22-2018, 09:10 AM