Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
(10-29-2018, 04:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: Oh for fucks sake. America was built off the backs of immigrants. I don't fear them and I don't fear they are going to take anything from me and the only people I ever see that have concerns about that are those found online.

Same here.  I don't fear or resent immigrants either.  

I feel for the plight of those who simply believe the American dream is alive and well and are willing to travel thousands of miles on foot to escape poverty, crime, suppression....  Still, after enduring the long trek, only about 20% of asylum-seekers will be permitted to stay.

I do believe that immigration needs to be well managed and controlled though, for all the obvious reasons -- including keeping known violent criminals out.  

Anyway, people who fear/vilify immigrants and 'others' are more common than you think, I suspect.  We used to see them express it primarily on-line because they could do so anonymously.  

But, it's become more common to see and hear American groups/individuals openly and proudly railing against migrants and spewing misinformation about them over the last couple of years, in my observation.   Trickle down branding and ignorance.

Migrants and asylum-seekers are now being labeled 'invaders' by the most fearful, resentful and ignorant.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 10-29-2018, 10:18 AM