Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
Trump's justifications for the increasing histrionics, based on his public statements:

(a) some of the migrants are criminals -- some undoubtedly are, but historically few -- if they have a criminal record, they'll be deported after the background check,
(b) they're lying about the dangers they face back home -- though government officials who operate within Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador describe a massive humanitarian crisis of corruption, poverty, and gang harassment of citizens,
( c) they're really sponsored invaders who want to take over America -- baseless conspiracy theory bullshit, and
(d) they're likely to get violent and commit crimes at the border in the process of seeking asylum, which hasn't been a major or unmanageable issue in the past (and a good number of these migrants are women and children).

Other Presidents have deployed some forces to the border when large numbers of migrants were approaching, for crowd control primarily. I don't have a problem with that -- I want it to be safe for everyone.

What's disgusting to me is demonizing and threatening asylum-seeking migrants in order to gin up fear in the core voter base for perceived/potential political gain.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 11-02-2018, 12:22 AM