Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
(11-25-2018, 07:22 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 03:46 AM)Maggot Wrote: 80% of the caravan is dominated by young men 35 yrs old and younger. It is not filled with women and children and is in fact filled with young men. Hmmmm if they don't want jobs and they are not seeking asylum what could they want in the U.S.?

I read a fuck ton of news everyday, from a variety of sources, and I hadn't read that so I went looking for some information pertaining to that ^^^^^^^. The only places I read that the caravan is 80% young men was on FOX and an extreme far right site called Louder With Crowder.

It's a FOX News claim that has been picked up and propagated by other right-wing outlets.  

The composition of the caravan changes as some people drop out and others join in, so I don't know the breakdown of men, women and children.  I'm not sure anyone can quantify it until the migrants are processed because the caravan composition is dynamic, not stagnant.  

I'd be surprised if 80% of the migrants are young adult single men, however.  What is quantifiable and verified:  the biggest increase in migrants/refugees over the last few years has been Central American families traveling with children (which spurred the 'zero tolerance / child separation policy' debacle).  

In any case, I don't assume that single male adults must be up to no-good. They face persecution and hardship and have just as much right to seek asylum as anyone else.

I do think most of the them will be disappointed though. If they're looking to enter the U.S. for greater safety and better base pay than in Honduras, Guatemala, Tijuana.........their chances of starting a new life in the U.S. are slim.

The Trump administration has severely limited the criteria for asylum; economic hardship, gang recruitment threats, domestic violence, etc.........are no longer justifiable claims for asylum.  That will likely reduce the number of asylum requests that get approved (which is already less than 20%).

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM