Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
(11-25-2018, 08:09 PM)Duchess Wrote: It may please a couple of you to know that our government is now firing chemical weapons at women & children over another country's border.
It was sad to see. 

The migrants are political pawns for Trump and company, in my opinion.  And, since Trump's views on immigration and asylum seem to resonate with more than just his base supporters, I fear it's going to get worse before it gets better.  

Separating migrant parents from their children didn't deter the migrants from seeking better lives in the U.S.  Narrowing asylum criteria didn't deter them. Troops at the border didn't deter the majority of them from coming either. 

So now the government is closing down authorized points of entry, only processing around 100 asylum applications a day, pushing Tijuana to host them without the necessary funding and humanitarian aid, and closing the border.  Plus, Trump is threatening to shut down the government if The Wall doesn't get funded.

Anyway, I know they're tired and feel desperate. But, I really hope the migrants don't try to enter by force again.  The vitriol against them has become so amplified that it won't be surprising if some of them get hurt or killed.   Plus, it only riles up those who already buy into the narrative that they're all criminals and/or people willing to endure the treacherous journey so they can illegally vote in U.S. elections and get government handouts.

The U.S. is no longer a place to seek refuge or humanitarian aid, for the time being.  Maybe the Democrats will offer Trump his wall funding again in exchange for real immigration reform policies and solutions when they take over the House in January.  Bi-partisan immigration legislation is at least a decade overdue. Congress finally needs to do its job.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 11-26-2018, 05:26 AM