Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
(11-26-2018, 12:17 PM)Duchess Wrote: I'd have more hope about immigration if I thought trump was serious, but I don't believe he is. I think he only cares about it insofar as it pertains to talking points directed at his base. Other than that, I don't believe he cares about immigration one way or another. He uses it to get his cult jacked up.

I think that's mostly true.

But, if the Congress passes a bi-partisan bill and Trump vetoes it, I think it'll cost him with everyone but his core base. 

The midterm results show that Trumpism has cost the Republican party a considerable percentage of Independents and subarbanites.  It could cost Trump re-election in 2020 if he were to quash legislation that so many Americans have been advocating for more than a decade.

It's possible that Trump would get behind immigration reform legislation (and stand behind it this time) if it included funding for The Wall.  That way, he wouldn't be alienating much of his core base by signing off on a bill that's supported by the more moderate general population.

Anyway, I agree that Trump will do what he believes is most beneficial to him personally and politically, regardless of other considerations.  That's his M.O., in my observation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM