Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A brief educational moment concerning later term abortions
(05-15-2019, 05:40 AM)Duchess Wrote: Coming on the heels of Georgia's draconian law, Alabama has voted to make abortion a felony, in all cases, from the moment of conception, punishable by up to 99 years in prison. They do not differentiate rape & incest, it is irrelevant. Sickening. It's fuckin' sickening.

I saw that Alabama governor Kay Ivey signed the bill into law today.

These red state 'heartbeat' and 'ban' laws are a very transparent political ploy, as I see it. 

The conservative/religious politicians behind them know they'll be legally challenged because they're unconstitutional, in that they violate the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision.   

They want the cases to be appealed and heard by this particular conservative-heavy Supreme Court in hopes of getting Roe v. Wade overturned and securing religious voters.  

We discussed the likelihood of this type of strategy being employed when Trump was elected; it was highly predictable.  I hope the Supreme Court strikes the state laws down, but I'm not too optimistic.

Anyway, I wouldn't personally object too much if a federal ban on abortion past the point of fetal viability outside of the womb were to be implemented (with medical exceptions).  But, banning abortions after as early as six weeks and/or in cases of rape / incest / fetal deformity is some fucked up bullshit, in my opinion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A brief educational moment concerning later term abortions - by HairOfTheDog - 05-15-2019, 11:31 PM