Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sylar Newton. toddler missing from AZ campground
more information. baby that age did not get far at night by himself.

According to Yavapai County Sheriff's Office Media/Crime Prevention Coordinator Dwight D'Evelyn, the investigation into the disappearance of 2-year-old Syler Newton continues today.

D'Evelyn held a press conference last night around 6:30 pm, and explained what steps are being taken to locate the child.

"I went to the briefing involving the search team crews," D'Evelyn reported. "One thing they've done, and they did this earlier today, is they constructed a search model. 'What can a 2-year-old possibly do as far as wandering off from a campsite based on terrain and so forth.' They determined that a 2-year-old, based on his age and build, could wander up to a mile from a campsite. Generally if they're found within a mile, they're found safe. That's just based on statistics."

All non-family campers have been removed from the area after being interviewed.

Newton was in the care of a custodian family, which was in the process of adopting him. They have all been interviewed, and a search warrant for the campsite was obtained.

"We have apparently identified the biological mother of the child," D'Evelyn said. "We're working on trying to locate her as soon as possible to find out what this relationship was, and how the child ended up in the custody of this custodian who was camping out with the child last night. This is a matter of routine for us, we're doing a search warrant, which we will have a judge sign to allow us to completely go through that campsite and look for any evidence or information that might help lead us to locating that young boy."

"It's fairly obvious that as we go further into this, and we don't have success in finding the child, there is a concern of foul play," D'Evelyn stated. "That's why detectives are here and doing the work they're doing.

D'Evelyn also indicated that they have a diver on hand looking into a nearby creek. D'Evelyn said there are quite a few murky pools and ponds, although not much running water at this time.

D'Evelyn put out a new press release this morning, stating:

"I was just briefed by the Search and Rescue Incident Commander – No significant update at this time. Detectives spent the night searching the campsite and all its contents. 2 Vehicles were towed from the site for further inspection. This part of the investigation is ongoing and I will attempt further information from detectives later today.

"Searchers remained on scene throughout the night. This morning, specially trained bloodhounds continue a grid search of the area hoping to pick of any scent of Syler and this will be the focus throughout the day.

"The SAR Incident Commander has requested that press helicopters stay out of the general area this morning as the chopper noise is distracting the bloodhounds on the ground and delaying their tracking efforts. Your cooperation is appreciated.

"Further updates will be provided throughout the day as they develop. I do not plan to be on scene this morning so I can access my news email alert system to bring all media groups the latest. If this changes, I will let you know."

Messages In This Thread
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 07-31-2010, 07:43 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 08-02-2010, 06:44 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Duchess - 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
RE: toddler missing from campground - by Lady Cop - 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM