Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
~~trying to reason with hurricane season~~
Lost part of a tree this morning, 3 trips to home depot for 2 stroke oil and chainsaw parts and I got it cut up and out of the street.
yep, i've been thinking about you Six, and hope to hear from you after Isaac passes.
my cousins down there too, Miami & Keys. old hands, not very worried. the usual clean out the grocery and beer stores. hah

monday morning. evacuations ordered.

[Image: map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg]

Tampa, Florida (CNN) -- Thousands in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama were being told early Monday to leave their Gulf Coast homes ahead of the arrival of Tropical Storm Isaac as forecasters warned it was gaining strength as it followed the same path Hurricane Katrina took seven years earlier.

The governors of the three states each declared a state of emergency, with Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley ordering mandatory evacuations to begin at 8 a.m. for residents who live along the coast and for those in some low-lying areas inland.

my niece starts at Tulane in NOLA this week. she got there a week ago, and it's her first year and first time away from home (Ohio). so good old NOLA, crime, murders, and now a 'cane. that girl had choices! William & Mary, Boston, etc. damn it.

[Image: 082712_isaac2_20120827_084741.jpg]

Got a little more tree cutting to do, other than that no big deal for me.
This is pretty unbelievable, actually.

My grandparents have lived in Biloxi since 1969. They moved there 3 months before Camille hit. That storm leveled their home to the foundation. They moved to nearby Ocean Springs in 1979, and that location has spared them major damage during other hurricanes.

When Katrina hit, the storm surge actually drown 4 of their neighbors (whose homes werent as high).

I haven't been there since 2003, but as fate would have it, my wife and I are scheduled to visit my grandmother in October, and now the Miss Gulf Coast is in the crosshairs once again.

I just hope this storm doesn't strengthen beyond a Cat 2.
Isaac will make landfall today, Tuesday.
NOLO should be well-prepared this time. assuming levees hold.

i am hoping drought-stricken Texas gets some rain, they are desperate.

[Image: two_atl.gif]

Apparently, according to a Facebook friend, Obama may be to blame for this one..just to piss off the Republicans!! Here is what she wrote:

Oh now Pres. Obama is gonna come on tv and talk about the storm Isaac, taking away the thunder from the republican convention, mmm interesting!
it's a cat 1 now. officially a hurricane. the warm Gulf waters help to strengthen it.

[Image: 120828021845-tropical-storm-isaac-sat-1-t1-main.jpg]

I'd like to get some rain from this but I don't think it's on track to come up the coast. Bah.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
They keep forecasting rain from this here, but ill believe it when I see it.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
full article and very good slideshow here:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/us/weather...?hpt=hp_t1

[Image: 120830043957-tropical-storm-isaac-0830-5...allery.jpg]

(CNN) -- Isaac slashed its way further inland Thursday, claiming its first fatality and stranding residents in flood-prone areas even as it threatened to wreak more havoc in the days to come.

Mississippi and Louisiana announced mandatory evacuations for all low-lying areas along the Tangiaphoa River.

A dam at 700-acre Lake Tangipahoa has not breached, "but has been badly damaged by heavy rains," the Pike County Emergency Management Agency said.

Bah

[Image: Hurricane-Sandy-600x400.jpg]
Things are gonna get exciting in a few days, eh Duch?

It looks that way, it's still several days away but my ocean temp is 65 degrees, I wish it were much colder. I don't like weather that involves high winds, I'm surrounded by trees.

...this is really going to interfere with football too. Call whine-one-one.
Oh for chrissake. The weather channel is ringing the panic bell, calling it a "potential monster hurricane". Nothing like whipping residents into a frenzy, particularly those that arent accostomed to tropical weather systems. According to their own predictions, it'll be a tropical storm when it get there, if it stays on the path they've predicted. Either way, looks like you're in for some wind and rain, unless they're completely off in their path prediction. Charge your cell and make sure you have cash and your gas tank is full. People have a way of waiting until the last second.

I don't watch the Weather Channel anymore, I think they exaggerate. I'm already stressin' over this bs & they will only reinforce it.
My brothers fiancee said yesterday she read a news story with the headline about a "REAL BAD STORM" hitting the North East. I think its important not to downplay the situation and for people not to under-estimate mother nature, but shit like this is unnecessary. When I went through my first hurricane, which was Charley in 04, for days beforehand I was so scared I threw up all the time, mostly due to online weather reports, stories and the weather channel. The local weather people were much more sensible, laying it out in black and white and telling you only what you needed to know. Using terms like "unprecedented" and "never before in recorded history" is going to incite panic. Yes its dangerous. Yes the north east isn't used to anything like this. Yes people need to prepare and make sure they're safe and have supplies. But at least make an attempt not to make everyone paralyzed with fear.
(10-26-2012, 07:07 AM)LuciferLynn Wrote: for days beforehand I was so scared I threw up all the time

I'm kinda there right now but without the vomiting. There is a shit ton of adjectives being thrown around, Frankenstorm, Hybrid storm, Perfect storm, Super storm, etc...

...and of course I can't stop reading about it. 78
Pay attention to the local news, not so much the internet. The weather channel is scaring me and I'm in western pa and after living in florida, a category 1 storm is no big. Hey, maybe my shed door will blow away again! Score! Its scary and afterward, if your electric is out, its annoying. If they tell you to evacuate, do so. If they don't, stay put. Shelters are no fun and after being in one, we just left the whole damn state for a hurricane when we had to. Flashlights, batteries, water (fill the tubs with water for flushing!) cash, cell charged all the time and a full tank of gas. Its important not to panic but it is also important to stay apprised of the situation.

But yeah. Avoid the weather channel. My yougest was worrying about it this morning before school watching it.