Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Petit Family murders. trial coverage, warning! graphic evidence photos.
i don't believe any of hayes' sadistic imaginary murders from his prison letters. he's just a sick fuck sitting on death row and bored.

October 12, 2011
NEW HAVEN—
The jury began deliberating this morning whether Joshua Komisarjevsky is guilty of murdering Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her daughters Hayley and Michaela, burning their home and beating Dr. William Petit Jr. with a bat in a 2007 home invasion in Cheshire.

By the lunch break, after about 90 minutes of deliberations, jurors produced two notes, one asking for additional copies of the jury charge instructions and another that said the following:

"When giving the verdict, do we need to specify if we have found him guilty as a principal or an accessory?"

Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue said no, they do not need to specify and added that they do not need to be unanimous on whether they believe Komisarjevsky was a principal or an accessory in a crime.

The jury left the courtroom to begin deliberations around 11:30 a.m., shortly after defense attorneys for Komisarjevsky told the judge that they wanted to put co-defendant Steven Hayes on the witness stand.

But Blue denied the defense request to reopen evidence, which would have allowed them to put Hayes, already convicted of murder in the 2007 Cheshire triple slayings, on the stand.

The request came following revelations that Hayes had written letters about how he would select victims and plan their deaths. The defense motion claims that Hayes said he raped and strangled 17 women.

Blue denied the motion for a continuance based on the three letters Tuesday, saying he did not know how the information in Hayes' letters was exculpatory in Komisarjevsky's case. He said the letters could be admissible in the penalty phase.

According to the motion, Hayes wrote, "I have 17 kills throughout the northeast United States ... and also dozens of drug rape victims."

The letters — more than 100 pages of material — were written by Hayes to a person in North Carolina and came to the attention of Komisarjevsky's defense attorneys on Friday as part of the discovery process, the defense motion says.

In one letter, Hayes calls the Cheshire invasion "a dry run in the partnership between Josh and myself. I do now realize had we gotten away, I would have killed Josh. He was not even worthy of my partnership."

The defense said Tuesday it had not had a chance to discuss the letters with Komisarjevsky and examine what effect they could have on his defense. The Courant has not seen the letters, which the defense says include Hayes' admission of killing the women and taking their sneakers.

On Wednesday, defense attorney Walter C. Bansley III said the defense team needed time to read through the letters and discern how Hayes' testimony would be used. He said the letters offer an M.O. that shows the Cheshire home invasion may have been a way for Hayes to further his "agenda" of "depraved" behavior.

He said the writings show a "sadistic side" of Hayes, outlining how he said he killed each of the women. He said it was "fundamentally unfair" that they were not made aware of these letters by the state until just recently.

Blue appeared to question the veracity of the letters on Wednesday and said reading them was "not a pleasant" experience.

"If you take them at face value," Blue said.

Blue said putting Hayes on the stand "could be a mixed blessing" for Komisarjevsky.

If Hayes is truthful, Blue said, he is "one of the great serial killers" in history who also says extremely damning things about Komisarjevsky that Blue said he found "hard to imagine" the defense "would want to put on."

Blue said Hayes wrote that Komisarjevsky raped Michaela Petit, poured gasoline and that the men "went into this enterprise with the joint plan of killing everybody."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Petit Family murders. trial coverage, warning! graphic evidence photos. - by Lady Cop - 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM