Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LC's famous ginger cookies~and more soupy-chicken recipes~
the mornings are cold now...perfect for some hot oatmeal (not instant crap) cooked with slices of just-picked apples and a bit of cinnamon! simple yummy fare and good for you! a touch of maple syrup too if you like. 70
eat up your oatmeal kids! hah
throw away those donuts! unless they are cider donuts that you made. Smiley_emoticons_wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That would go great with Lobster! 2.99 a lb around here lately for chix.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(10-12-2010, 04:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: That would go great with Lobster! 2.99 a lb around here lately for chix.

oatmeal with lobsters? oh well, lobsters go with everything! Smiley_emoticons_razz

so Maggy, my birthday is coming and a truckload of lobsters would not be amiss. Smiley_emoticons_bussi 27 70 99

$2.99 lb. is insane! i feel badly for the lobster trappers! they can't be making a profit. they've been about $5.99+ here depending on size.

Attached Files
.gif   lobster2.gif (Size: 21.03 KB / Downloads: 62)
.gif   lobster.gif (Size: 27.38 KB / Downloads: 61)

Martha's Thanksgiving issue mag is in stores now. get it!

so...Brie. buy a wheel of Brie. it is great for entertaining, and lends itself nicely to sweet fruit..cranberries, cherries.
and get a loaf of good crusty fresh bread. scoop out the center, put in Brie and pop in oven. when it melts it is fabulous!
the rind is fine to eat.

ok it's early i know, but i was thinking about this today. a little tip for anyone who will cook a big turkey.
get a couple clean new large doggie choke chains and use them to make a sling under the bird as it cooks. when it's done, use the chains to easily lift the bird out of pan and put on your platter. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
those stupid fork-like things they sell are not strong enough for a really big bird, and tear up your presentation. the chains lift it nicely intact.

some smartass made a remark about Italians grating cheese. so i have to say that i am a proud Italian who has always grated my own cheese! and only the GOOD stuff, not that kraft crap in the supermarket. the BEST real grating cheeses are as follows~~
if anyone had any damn taste, they would know it is a gourmet selection. my Dad grated cheese every evening as we prepared for dinner, it's a fond memory.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST FOR YOU POP-TART, WONDERBREAD, MACDONALD'S-EATING HEATHENS WHO BUY SUPERMARKET SWILL:

Dating back to ancient Roman times, Pecorino Romano is one of the world's oldest recorded cheeses. Pecorino is an Italian word meaning from sheep's milk, and Romano indicates that this cheese is of Roman descent. All Pecorino Romano is made in either Lazio, Tuscany, or Sardinia during the months between November and June. These three regions have very similar pastures and breeds of sheep, ensuring consistent flavor and quality. Pecorino Romano is a name protected (DOC) cheese whose production is overseen by the Consorzio per la Tulela del Formaggio Pecorino Romano. There are numerous Pecorinos made throughout Italy, but only one Pecorino Romano. Perhaps the most famous brand for Pecorino Romano in the US is Locatelli. Aged for a minimum of 9 months, this cheese is hard and dense; strong and sharp in flavor. It is pale yellow in color with a black paper rind bearing the name Locatelli. Grate this cheese then serve it over pasta, salads, Garlic Bread and soups.
The whole production should come from a restricted area - according to the law that on 1955 defined the standard of this cheese: the provinces of Modena, Parma and Reggio Emilia and partially Bologna and Mantova.
It is in fact due also to the geographical position of the production zone that the Parmigiano Reggiano is a cheese absolutely unique and impossible to imitate.
Even the name itself shows the close link with the surrounding areas: the towns of Parma and Reggio Emilia.
The Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano Reggiano, was founded back in 1934, it incorporates the dairies producing the homonymous cheese. Its offices are in Reggio Emilia and there are Provincial Divisions in Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena, Mantova and Bologna.

.jpg   Parmesan.jpg (Size: 30.61 KB / Downloads: 179)

Cowboy gets some kind of cheese that I insist he keep in the fridge in the basement. It's disgusting! He has it wrapped very well but, it still fucking reeks. It's putrid and I don't even want to see him eat it. Ugh. Smiley_emoticons_kotz
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
That's a great cheese post, LC. Actually made me crave some of the real good stuff. Grated on fresh pasta is an awesome thing.
86 112
(10-26-2010, 09:20 AM)Middle Finger Wrote: That's a great cheese post, LC. Actually made me crave some of the real good stuff. Grated on fresh pasta is an awesome thing.

i knew YOU would appreciate it!
you come for dinner paisano!

.png   guido.png (Size: 12.1 KB / Downloads: 88)

And then there were three!
TURKEY TIME! Indian Woo
don't buy a frozen bird...wait and get one that's fresh. and also forego any that have been injected with any crap. all that does is add weight and sodium. they call it self-basting. screw that. baste it yourself. with butter!
just call LC's turkey-911 and we'll discuss this in depth. 17
the martha stewart of mock [tm]

[Image: turkey%20raw.jpg]

[Image: 1080_Wild-Turkey-.jpg]

[Image: turkee005-004.jpg]

Attached Files
.gif   1.gif (Size: 51.54 KB / Downloads: 64)

I'm getting a frozen bird. This sounds crazy {cuz it is} but, I feel better about buying it at the store, it's so much more impersonal, I don't like knowing that a turkey died for me that morning so I could have a fresh bird...and then I saw a clip of Sarah Palin being interviewed right in front of turkeys being killed & seeing that done totally turned me off for fresh bird forever.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-09-2010, 07:55 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm getting a frozen bird. This sounds crazy {cuz it is} but, I feel better about buying it at the store, it's so much more impersonal, I don't like knowing that a turkey died for me that morning so I could have a fresh bird...and then I saw a clip of Sarah Palin being interviewed right in front of turkeys being killed & seeing that done totally turned me off for fresh bird forever.

In that case, the wrong "turkey" was done in! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

ok now on to pies.
don't gag, this is the truth as spoken by martha of mock. Smiley_emoticons_bussi
LARD makes the absolute best flakiest pie crust!
do not use shortening, the South had this right.
don't melt it either. cut it in with one of these pastry cutters. if you have a marble board, all the better,they stay cold. the colder the surface, the less melting of the fat.
trust me on this. Awink

[Image: Pie-Crust.jpg]

(11-09-2010, 07:55 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm getting a frozen bird. This sounds crazy {cuz it is} but, I feel better about buying it at the store, it's so much more impersonal, I don't like knowing that a turkey died for me that morning so I could have a fresh bird.

It isn't crazy, it's good Buddhist philosphy. Don't eat an animal that was killed just for you.

(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(10-26-2010, 08:23 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: some smartass made a remark about Italians grating cheese. so i have to say that i am a proud Italian who has always grated my own cheese! and only the GOOD stuff, not that kraft crap in the supermarket.

hahaha. Twas me. If I stop at Whole Foods on the way home, I hit an extra 2 hours traffic. As I have minor road rage, I stop at the Publix by my house instead and trust that Sargento is Italian enough to give me decent cheeses. Would a wedge of their deli parm be any better?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
actually you terrible person, Awink Publix has some decent imported cheese, usually in a separate case. get some Locatelli brand romano, they may even have it already grated. or any parm from Italy.
i'll make a cheese snob out of you yet. heh

I buy good gouda because I've had the real stuff. I need to afford a trip a Italy and then I would probably never go back to the bag!
My mom makes lard crusts. They are wonderful. I use butter and two forks when I bother to make them, which is rare. I love to cook, I just hate to clean up the mess now, so lately I have been making cobbler. Shameful, I know.

I am going to make some sweet potato pies this year. I don't like pumpkin that much (hate cinnamon), but I lurve sweet potato. I don't pretend to put them in a souffle anymore.
sweet potato pie is great~ so is squash pie~ and get one of those pastry cutters, easier than forks. you want the butter or lard to be pea-size.

i love my imported cheeses, because growing up we always had a cheese board and fruit on the table after dinner. stilton, gorgonzola, jarlsburg, gouda, fontina, more... i could drool on and on! and some good crusty bread with that!

[Image: cheese_board_c.jpg]