Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LC's famous ginger cookies~and more soupy-chicken recipes~

Hey! That's as pretty as what I saw at the bakery.

Why is all the really tasty stuff loaded with fat & calories? Huh? Huh? Huh?

And why is there so much food around this time of year...there are food pushers everywhere I've been the past several days.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i was going to send some to Maggot, but it's 5 miles to the post office and it's snowing again. sorry Maggot. Signs_173

hahMini xmas tree

thursday edit to add...i'm mailing you some baklava Maggot, but you won't get it for Christmas.

I have some sweets around the house that I have avoided so far. I'd rather have salty snacks (the original chex mix recipe is pretty good). After reading this, I decided I'm going to have to make some fudge and maybe an almond joy cake or a recipe I have never tried for Cherry-A-Let (remember those candy bars? I loved them and really miss them).

(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
i prefer salt to sweet also, and i'm wondering what i'm going to do with all that baklava! i don't think my sons will eat all that. i may try to freeze some, but have never done that before.

I'm gonna make that eggnog stuff and think of Crackers snots when I drink it. But I will NEVER tell anyone that.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(12-22-2010, 08:14 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: i prefer salt to sweet also, and i'm wondering what i'm going to do with all that baklava! i don't think my sons will eat all that. i may try to freeze some, but have never done that before.

I could eat that baklava. Baklava and coffee.

Delta Airlines has the best warm, spiced nuts. I wish I had their recipe.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(12-22-2010, 09:07 PM)Maggot Wrote: I'm gonna make that eggnog stuff and think of Crackers snots when I drink it. But I will NEVER tell anyone that.

You can have ALL the eggnog for all I care. I don't know how people drink raw eggs. I like them boiled and pickled.

I think I just had a weak stomach because I already had a sinus headache and felt queasy.

LC pwned me.
Cracker, being Southern, may agree~~you must eat black-eyed peas for New Years for good luck. i never liked them, but my Southern Mom insisted, so i would choke down a few. i still do it in her honor. will make some home-made and tasty them up with onions, bits of ham. etc.
also, use some fatback (salt pork or "streak of lean")

A staple in the Southern diet for over 300 years, black-eyed peas have long been associated with good luck. A dish of peas is a New Year's tradition in most areas of the South, thought to bring luck and prosperity for the new year. Greens, thought to symbolize folding money, are often eaten eaten with the peas. Hoppin' John, a dish made with black-eyed peas and rice, is one of the more popular ways of serving them.

[Image: exps64_TH1427C37D.jpg]

salt pork, use in greens!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've never had greens nor black-eyed peas.
Yep. They are for money (collards) and for luck (black eyed peas). The collards are already in the crockpot. We fry the salt pork up separately as a side.

I guess I've been here long enough to be considered Southern. There are different kinds of Southern. I can distinguish Southern accents like people can distinguish English accents. In my mind, I'm more Western. I have a fierce independence you don't find in the South. The values are very similar except for the rabid love of all things jebus and having everyone I know up my ass.

my black-eyed pea soup is smelling soooooo good! i just added a bunch of fresh kale. it's more like a dish than a soup. YUM! i think i'm going to like them this year! haha :B

Duchess needs to try some greens! collards, turnip greens or kale. fantastic, and so good for you!

(12-31-2010, 12:04 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I've never had greens nor black-eyed peas.

I have a love of soul food. Not the pigs feet soul food, but collards and black eyed peas and fried red hot sausages (who knows what the fuck those are, only eat them out) and cornbread heavy with butter and boiled cabbage.

Downtown old Atlanta (Cabbagetown) is a hell hole at night, but has the most heavenly soul food restaurants and jazz/rib joints.

And it has this:
Oakland Cemetary

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSELDO777cXMO9lsOE_nv_...TXCp41yrYQ]
The Lion of the Contederacy (copied from the Lion of Lucerne)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTK0TyGlnxWdaJReKde-s...diTSXZdrsb]
Old man in a chair crypt.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo0GL_Z_AZicPAPa6V6k9...69Bi0nPY7A]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFhBEjxSnVXdeOL0_7z92...0Iy9h9zaQw]
Jewish section ala Driving Miss Daisy

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3bH3-Ne1MD04f3ZNtLe5...kOrN5IwssQ]

Margaret Mitchell and James Dickey are buried there, along many other famous Georgians and not-so-famous slaves who are buried with no markers in a potter's field. Can't revise that history.
(12-31-2010, 04:51 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: Duchess needs to try some greens! collards, turnip greens or kale. fantastic, and so good for you!

No Duchess, only the collards are good. Turnip greens and mustard greens are gross (bitter).

I have never eaten kale, I think of it as a garnish, not food.
Cracker i adore going into old cemeteries and reading the stones! we have some very historical ones here of course, but i enjoy the "unknown" peoples' stones as well. there are stories to be told.
and my brother did many rubbings of stones in England.

here's a stone that i have been saving in my pictures, from Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah. i thought it was quite touching and wondered the story behind it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-31-2010, 05:10 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(12-31-2010, 04:51 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: Duchess needs to try some greens! collards, turnip greens or kale. fantastic, and so good for you!

I have never eaten kale, I think of it as a garnish, not food.

Portuguese kale and potato soup is DELICIOUS!

I've always regretted not stopping in Savannah when I returned from Florida the last time.
[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=6112]

That is sad. It does me wonder if it was one or both and it they were over a year old. Somebody hurt that time.

(12-31-2010, 05:18 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I've always regretted not stopping in Savannah when I returned from Florida the last time.

Do stop next time. Just make sure you are armed. lol

I don't care for the tourist spots (once you have been drunk on River Street once, that is enough, break your fucking ankle on those cobblestones), but the history is amazing. Tybee Island is pretty cool, too. Old forts and history and decent food and drinks on the beach.

I love the barrier islands of Georgia. St. Simons, Tybee, Jekyll, Cumberland. They are rich in the history of the Revolution, Civil War, and days of super rich families.
I just remembered that I forgot the cornbread to go with my greens and blackeyed peas, that means I have to go to the damn grocery store again.
(12-31-2010, 05:10 PM)Cracker Wrote: I have never eaten kale, I think of it as a garnish, not food.

It's really good in potato soup. You can also put the fresh leaves in a blender with orange juice, kiwi, and banana. It's healthy and you can't even tell it's in there.