Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
U.S. and allies launch first missiles against Gadhafi forces
I said in an earlier post that I don't think we went in to this with a clear "end game" (as everyone is calling it) which I think was a mistake. However, I find it sort of ironic that members of congress are just now questionning our involvement. Maybe Barack did go beyond the War Powers Resolution (too lazy to read it right now) but before we went in, I distinctly recall that he was getting pressure from both sides to entire in to the conflict in some capacity. The news back then read like this:

Ready for another war? Congressional leaders push for U.S. action in Libya
Caroline May - The Daily Caller Caroline May - The Daily Caller – Fri Mar 4, 3:27 pm ET
With the Obama administration hesitating to take definitive action in Libya, a bipartisan group of congressional leaders are pushing to impose a no-fly zone to protect civilians and rebels from Muammar Gaddafi’s air force — a decision experts say would amount to an act of war.

“The people of Libya are not asking for foreign troops on the ground,” Massachusetts Democratic Sen. John Kerry said at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing. “I believe that the global community cannot be on the sidelines while airplanes are allowed to bomb and strafe. A no-fly-zone is not a long-term proposition, assuming the outcome is what we all desire, and I believe we ought to be ready to implement it as necessary.”

John McCain, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, echoed his colleague.

“We could neutralize Libyan air defenses and set up a no-fly zone,” McCain said Thursday standing next to his long-time ally Joe Lieberman, who added a moral argument for intervention.

Congress has already taken steps in that direction. On March 1 the Senate passed a non-binding resolution calling for a no-fly zone over Libya.

The chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Florida Republican Rep Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, and Michigan Republican Rep. Mike Rogers have also expressed a desire to impose a no-fly zone.

But the administration remains reluctant to take those steps, and many are wary of potentially entering into another war.
Commando Cunt Queen

Messages In This Thread
RE: U.S. and allies launch first missiles against Gadhafi forces - by username - 03-25-2011, 03:52 PM