Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
401k's IRA's and such...
Most of us here seem to be at the age where hopefully, we're all trying to do a little bit for our retirement, as to not rely on Social Security (which, I'm afraid may be non-existent by the time I'm eligible).

At work, I'm investing 8% of my salary in my 401k. My workplace used to match up to 3%, but when the economy took a shit a couple years back, that was one of the first things to go. Now they'll match up to 2k/year (assuming you've put in at least that much), based on the companies profitability (luckily, this year we were very profitable), so this month they're gonna dump 2k into my acct, fully vested).

Anyhoo, I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most intelligent motherfucker when it comes to understanding all of my options on properly diversifying my investments. With our program, we have a multitude of funds that we're able to select from. For the last couple of years or so, I've pretty much stuck with two funds. For the last 2 years, my rate of return has been 43% (I've picked some rather risky/volatile funds), which I know fucking kicks ass, but obviously has a lot to do with the stock market rebound.

So, I'm curious as to if anyone here is really good with this shit, and knows how to properly invest to where I'm very well diversified to where I can withstand a hit should the market take a crap. Honestly, it feels as if I'm throwing darts right now.
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

I suck at this kind of thing. I bank 20% of all money that comes into my hot little hands. Tiki & Cracker might be very helpful though.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I'll have to hand this off to Tiki.

I've been reading up on investing lately, getting ready to move some money around, and the old advice still seems to be true: Great risk comes with great returns.

The general consensus is: This nation is indebted. That debt will have to be paid through tax monies. Stick with an account that is geared for the long term if you won't need to withdraw any (unlike an Individual Investment Account that taxes money as you make it yearly, upside is no penalty for withdrawals) like Tax Deferred Savings Plans or Roth IRA (max out the TDSP first, then IRA).

High interest checking/savings accounts limit deposits, but you can have up to five accounts if you are married and draw the compounded interest. Doesn't help the Cracker.

I think Dick and Maggot were smart for investing in silver.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Kid, my husband is a stock broker/certified investment management analyst. I'm not sure he'll offer any suggestions (he typically won't give advice until he knows everything about someone's particular situation) but maybe he'll have some generic advice about asset allocation; I'll ask him later today or tomorrow.
Commando Cunt Queen
Kid . . . find a pro. Get one who is seasoned and avoid the pricks that are fee crazy.

Do your own research on ANY investment item presented. DO NOT rely solely on slick marketing literature or presentations.

Check the credentials of anyone you are trusting with your funds. Check public records. Do due diligence. Licensing, insurance and registration. Just like a cop with a traffic stop.

The odds are almost better in Vegas. Look in your portfolio performance in a 12 month period 10-15% is good. Thats about the global market now.
Check out them Germans though, they are kicking ass!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(05-03-2011, 08:09 PM)username Wrote: Kid, my husband is a stock broker/certified investment management analyst. I'm not sure he'll offer any suggestions (he typically won't give advice until he knows everything about someone's particular situation) but maybe he'll have some generic advice about asset allocation; I'll ask him later today or tomorrow.

That's kinda what I'm looking for here..not specifics. My 401k plan probably has about 40 funds or so to choose from (some are international). Some are small cap, some med cap, some large cap (not real clear on what this cap thing means)...all have "Morningstar ratings (I'm not sure how much credence to give to those ratings, as it's always got some type of disclaimer saying that they may not be "indicative of future results").

I can click on each fund for all the details, but it really becomes a blur of info, charts/graphs, ect...and it's just difficult to absorb, and fully understand.

Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

(05-04-2011, 07:00 AM)thekid65 Wrote: not real clear on what this cap thing means...and it's just difficult to absorb, and fully understand.

Kid . . . "Cap" is short for (market) captialization. Generally: A company's total number of outstanding shares multiplied by their price.

This is just ONE consideration that you should use to determine investments, for your portfolio.

In Vegas, play the Pass line (Craps). After the point, go for odds behind the bet.

Note to my SEC brethren: I am offering Vegas entertainment musings and NOT soliciting clients and NOT suggesting, promoting or endorsing any investment product, strategy or service.
Check into a post tax Roth rather than a tax deferred 401K.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

My financial advisor said that a lot depends on your age when you start the plan. If you are past age 40 or so, the best is to invest conservatively....rather than liberally. They will have options for where to send your investments.
Hey Kid, I'm not sure if this will help but here's what my hubby wrote:

Have him ask HR if they have any tools to help him decide on an allocation that might be appropriate for his age and risk tolerance. Most 401(k) plans will have an asset allocation available for participants on their website. The company has a fiduciary duty to make sure that their employees are fully informed on their choices. He might ask HR to have the 401(k) provider representative come in for an employee meeting. If not, he should be able to get a contact number for that person. You cannot pick investment solely by looking in the rear-view mirror (past results). Good luck!
Commando Cunt Queen