Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Today in 1892~axe murder fun
Lizzie Borden took an axe..........[Image: Lizzie2fix.jpg]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
And you're whacking just thinking about it! hah
my favorite subject! LIzzie! [Image: lizzie.jpg][Image: th_axemurderer.gif?t=1242015778][Image: post-4030-1195449576.gif]

Smiley_emoticons_bussi..........I know.
Not you Tikibitch! Bottom1
thanks Maggot, i should run on down to Fall River and put some flowers on her grave! 96

[Image: lizzy%20grave%20with%20doll.jpg]

Lizzie's acquittal was the o.j. and casey anthony trial of that time. outrage followed. she bought a nice big house, and Fall River people had nothing to do with her again.

[Image: lizzie1.jpg]

[Image: lizzie_borden_hatchet.jpg]

[Image: abbybloody.jpg]

[Image: bordenhouseS.jpg]

[Image: lizzie.jpg]

[Image: skulls.jpg?w=325&h=156]

[Image: 1299438032T51zql.jpg]

Andrew autopsy and funeral

[Image: and_aut1.jpg]

[Image: funeral.jpg]

[Image: lizziebordencaricature.jpg]

If anyone is interested, this link provides a decent re-hatch of the Borden case:

http://www.coopertoons.com/merryhistory/...orden.html

"Lizzie Borden took a blade
And nineteen chops in Mom soon made.
She gave Pa ten and cried, "I'm done!"
As history counts, that's eighty-one.".............
whooo hooo! email from Fall River Historical Society. i've been waiting for this. Smiley_emoticons_hurra3

Hello Everyone!

Hopefully, this is the email that you’ve all been waiting for.

Parallel Lives: A Social History of Lizzie A. Borden and Her Fall River will be available as of November 21, 2011. The Historical Society is now officially taking pre-orders for both the trade edition as well as a deluxe, slip-cased edition limited to 100 copies.

For information on the book, including excerpts, a gallery of photographs, news bits, and more, visit the Parallel Lives web site – www.lizziebordenparallellives.com

Orders may now be placed for November shipment.

Thanks one and all for your support and, most of all, your patience.

edit to add: $79. + $15. shipping.

holy hatchet! i'll wait for the paperback! Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch

ooooooo Maggot!! i have to go to Fall River and see these, i'm so excited about it! but i have waited many years for documents that STILL haven't been released.

[Image: g183183000000000000290a30069487a9eb38cc1...b10288.jpg]

Andrew Jennings’ book of newpaper clippings and the reference ledger he used during the Lizzie Borden trial are shown. These books, which offer new insight into the workings of the Lizzie Borden trial 120 years ago, have been donated by Jennings’ grandson, Edward Saunders Waring, to the Fall River Historical Society.

The Herald News

FALL RIVER —
The journals may be yellowed with age, a little tattered and faded, but the wealth of information they provide is anything but lackluster.

Hand written by Attorney Andrew Jackson Jennings during the trial of Lizzie Borden, the 120-year-old journals recently donated to the Fall River Historical Society, offer insight into the case and the way it was presented.

Jennings was the Borden family attorney and one of a team of lawyers hired to defend Lizzie Borden after she was accused of murdering her father and stepmother with a hatchet at their home on Aug. 4, 1892.

The journals were willed to the Society by Edward Saunders Waring, Jennings' grandson, after his recent death. Jennings had been a member of the Fall River Historical Society.

“It’s so rare to have evidence show up in a case 120 years after the fact,” Historical Society Curator Michael Martins said.

The Borden case garnered national attention because of its heinous nature and the fact that a wealthy upper-class woman was the accused.

Now more than a century later, it continues to interest scholars, true crime and history buffs, ghost hunters and regular people from all over the world. Still, the question of whether Lizzie committed the murders remains.

One of the journals acquired lists the names of people Jennings interviewed or wanted to interview in building the defense case. The other journal, a scrapbook of newspaper clippings about the case, is marked for research.

“He cross-referenced everything, and he used a lettering and numbering system,” Martins said.

In looking through the journals, Martins said he’s discovered information that has never been published.

He said Jennings clearly knew many of the people he interviewed on a social or business level, which made them “perhaps a bit more candid than they would have been otherwise.”

One of the personal comments in the journal read: “Mr. Borden used to get letters from L(izzie) and always seemed pleased when he got one — used to talk about it afterwards. I think one a week.”

Martins said the comment probably refers to when Lizzie was away, perhaps on her European tour in 1890.

Martins said some individuals interviewed spoke of their activities and observations in the vicinity of the Borden residence at 92 Second St. the morning of the murders. They also spoke of their interactions with members of the Borden family.

He said there are interesting comments about Mr. Borden’s relationship with his daughters, which he often called “his girls.” He spoke of his desire to see “his girls” well taken care of, and that he “wanted a nice place for them” and to see them well settled.

Some of the evidence in the journal make its way to trial, some did not.

Martins explained that the defense had just a few hours to present its case, while the prosecution had more than a week.

Martins said it’s interesting that the journals have come into the society’s possession shortly after it published “Parallel Lives: A Social History of Lizzie Borden and Her Fall River,” by Martins and Assistant Curator Dennis Binette.

He said many of the people that were introduced for the first time in the book appear in the journals.

“It all fits together,” Martins said. “It’s fascinating what some of these people have to say. It gives a lot of food for thought.”

Martins said the journals are extremely fragile and will be conserved and transcribed, and eventually published by the society.

The journals were discovered in an old hip bath — a bath tub which accommodates a seated person up to the hips — in the attic of Jennings’ home after he and his wife passed. They were kept by daughter Marion Jennings Waring, and then her son, Saunders Waring.

Martins said Saunders Waring retained the documents, which are difficult to read, so his grandfather wouldn’t be misquoted. The family was approached numerous times by authors.

Marion Jennings Waring donated other parts of the “Hip Bath Collection,” as it came to be known, to the society in 1967.

The Hosea Morrill Knowlton papers of Lizzie’s prosecuting attorney were published by the society in 1996. Papers from City Marshall Rufus B. Hilliard have not yet been published.

A sizable team of attorneys, lead by George Dexter Robinson, a former state governor, defended Lizzie Borden.

Martins said trial records are in possession of the law firm Robinson, Donovan, Madden & Barry of Springfield, founded by Robinson in 1866.

Martins said the Society will make no attempts to secure those documents. He said Lizzie Borden paid to be represented and is entitled to attorney and client confidentiality.

When that trial was going on I bet they never knew how famous and how much interest it would still hold 100 years later.
the UK daily mail just published this article.

[Image: article-2114026-1223206F000005DC-55_636x382.jpg]

Nearly 120 years after Lizzie Borden was found innocent in the killings of her father and stepmother in Fall River, Massachusetts, her lawyer's journals from the case have been discovered. Historians and crime buffs will be tantalized by the new evidence, which may give new insight into the killings and the eccentric characters involved.

here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...found.html

i'd buy it!! [Image: SmileyHalloween04-1.gif]

FALL RIVER, Mass. -- The house where Lizzie Borden lived out her life after being acquitted of charges that she used an ax to kill her father and stepmother is on the market.

The 14-room Queen Anne Victorian home in Fall River is for sale for $650,000. It is assessed at $313,200, which does not take into account its historical significance.

Owner Robert Dube has owned the home known as Maplecroft since 1980 when he paid $60,000. He has put it on the market several times before, most recently three years ago when he asked $725,000.

The Herald News reported that Borden lived at Maplecroft from 1894 until her death in 1927.

It is not the same house where Andrew and Abby Borden were killed in August 1892.

[Image: 17662873_BG1.jpg]

real estate advert:
http://www.newenglandmoves.com/real-esta...16/3631898

I would have to have more money than brains to want to buy that house.
i would have bought that huge Victorian when it was $60,000. haunted or not!

It has satellite TV.

That has to be worth the other 300 grand doesn't it?
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Lizzie had wild parties in that house to the point her sister finally moved out (to NH). it was scandalous! it's up in the Highlands, the rich snobby section of Fall River at the time.
she used to ride around in a closed horse-drawn carriage and scare the shit out of all the children. hahaha there goes the axe murderess!
Run1

Ahhhh. She was a loose axetress. The Casey Anthony of her day.
oooo Maggot, another axe murder! unsolved.
we need to put Josie's story in here too.
-------------------------------------------

[Image: brown-paper-bag-emoticons-5.gif]

[Image: 1303145867Tyzio8.jpg]

Iowa
it's been a century since Josiah and Sarah Moore, their four children and two visiting children were hacked to death with an axe while they slept, and the tiny town where they lived in Iowa has never been the same.

What remains the state's worst mass murder divided the community in 1912 between those who suspected a prominent businessman, and others who blamed a traveling preacher or thought it was someone else going through the area.

The case was never solved, and in some ways, the mystery still haunts Villisca.

Many are bothered by the tourists and ghost hunters who come to the two-story white frame building dubbed 'The Villisca Ax Murder House' for tours - or even to stay overnight.

'I would like it to be over,' said Susie Enarson, a former mayor of the town of 1,200 about 80 miles southwest of Des Moines. 'I would like the people to rest in peace and not have all this ghost discussion.'

The killings happened in the early morning hours of June 10, 1912.

The Moores and their four young children, Herman, Katherine, Boyd and Paul, as well as two of the children's friends, sisters Lena and Ina Stillinger, had returned from an evening church service at which children in the community read Bible verses.

It is believed that they were all asleep when someone entered the house, killed the parents first with repeated axe blows to their heads and then killed the children, each with one massive blow.

The children were aged between five and 12.

In 1912, Iowa had no uniform police standards or statewide criminal investigation agency.

Local police allowed local residents to traipse through the house for hours while the blood-stained bodies were still in the beds.

Amateur historian Ed Epperly, who has studied the case since the 1950s and for years owned the axe used in the killings, said one local pool room operator is believed to have walked away with part of Josiah Moore's skull.

More than a year after the crime, state authorities hired a private detective to investigate the killings, and for a month he posed as a real estate developer to secretly follow leads.

The detective, James Wilkerson, accused a prominent local businessman who served as a state senator of hiring a hit man because he believed Josiah Moore was having an affair with his daughter-in-law, but the investigator's theories were later largely discredited.

A traveling pastor, George Kelly, confessed to the crime but then withdrew his admission and was acquitted at a murder trial.

The case was followed closely in Iowa and throughout the country, and the haphazard police work helped prompt officials to create the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

[Image: article-0-1387B99A000005DC-124_638x397.jpg]

[Image: article-0-1387B9A2000005DC-606_638x551.jpg]

[Image: article-0-1387B985000005DC-804_638x458.jpg]

[Image: 6a00df351efabe8833014e88a54615970d-800wi]

120 YEARS AGO TODAY

[Image: lizzie_borden_birthday_card-p13753668700...if_400.jpg]

herald news
FALL RIVER
Never-before-seen post-mortem photographs and shocking new details about Andrew and Abby Borden are on display at the Fall River Historical Society along with other rare items being exhibited for the first time.

“Echoes of Lizzie,” a temporary exhibit, is on display to mark the 120th anniversary on Saturday of the internationally known Borden murder mystery.

The Fall River Historical Society, 451 Rock St., is home to the largest collection of Borden case artifacts. This year, there are four cases of Borden memorabilia, original photos, trial exhibits and personal items on display, including a rare photograph of Lizzie Borden at age 56.

“Here’s some of the physical evidence,” said Michael Martins, Historical Society curator.

In one case is Abby Borden’s kerchief and the pillow shams that were on the bed she was making when she was killed with a hatchet. Her braid is also on display, as is a sample of her blood in a glass vial.

The post-mortem photos are in this case and show just how brutal were the murders of Abby and her husband Andrew.

Abby suffered 19 whacks of the hatchet, and Andrew received 11. Clearly, the murderer was out to kill, as the hatchet went through tissue and met with their skulls over and over again.

Lizzie Borden was charged with the murder of her father and step-mother and acquitted the following year. But time has not eased the public’s quest to learn who killed the Bordens.

The post-mortem photograph of Abby is taken from behind. Several of the wounds from the hatchet are visible.

There’s another twist to the story. The highly circulated photograph of Abby laying dead on the floor between the bed and bureau of the upstairs guest bedroom is not actually the way she was found directly after the murder, according to new evidence.

Some of the information from the Historical Society’s recently acquired journals of Andrew Jackson Jennings, a member of Lizzie Borden’s defense team and the Borden family lawyer, never made it to Lizzie’s trial.

“We now know that when Abby Borden’s body was discovered, she was partially under the bed, which is not evident in the photographs of the crime scene that were taken the day of the murders and presented as evidence during the trial,” Martins said. “Clearly, her body had been moved before the images were taken. This is completely new material and important.”
The post-mortem photograph of Andrew Borden was clearly taken after his stomach was removed. The photo was taken in the sitting room where he was murdered. Andrew is laying on a stretcher. It is taken from the side. His chest is bare and the slice on his stomach clear. The trauma to his head is evident. One must take a very good look to make out the outline of his nose, his ear, and his eye. Much of his face and head is indistinguishable due to the blood and many lacerations.

Martins said the society has been hesitant to display the post-mortem photographs.

“Obviously, the images are very sensitive, both in subject and in their physical condition,” Martins said.

He said they chose to exhibit the photos to lend a sense of reality to the Borden mystery.

[Image: 5638123E.jpg]

[Image: 5638494E.jpg]

[Image: 5638208E.jpg]

sweet old lizzie. she was arrested for shoplifting a couple times. haha

[Image: maplecroft1916.jpg]

I was so taken with the architecture of the room in that last photo that I went looking for more pix of the home. I don't know much about this story other than the obvious & while I wasn't surprised to see it's a tourist attraction I was very surprised to see the tourists striking a (death) pose. I judged them for that. I think it's incredibly tacky.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]