Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bowman Murder Trial & verdict(Cold Ohio Case)
Detective Dan Brimmer on this case married the victims older sister!

The ex-wife was married to a Big Rat!! (rats in the home excuse)

The Toledo Blade 8/15/2011
Ex-wife says Bowman threatened her to keep secret

1967 incident is described at murder trial

After hearing noises she thought probably were rats, Margaret Bowman found a girl — naked, tied, and with tape over her mouth — in the basement of her home, the former wife of Robert Bowman said Monday in Lucas County Common Pleas Court.

“I saw the young girl. There were mattresses all around the walls. She was hanging like Jesus,” she testified, describing what she saw in 1967 in a small closed-off fruit cellar in the basement. “ … I got so upset and crazy I think. I ran up the stairs. … And then he confronted me.”

Ms. Bowman was among 10 witnesses who have testified over three days during the murder trial of her former husband.

Bowman, 75, is charged with murder in the first degree in the slaying of 14-year-old Eileen Adams more than 44 years ago.

Ms. Bowman testified about finding the young captive in her basement and her husband “ranting and raving” upstairs in their home on West Sylvania Avenue. It was there, she said, that he yelled at her to keep her nose out of his business.

“[He said,] ‘I [am] going to have to kill her,” she testified. “ … He threatened me that he would kill me and my baby if I went to police.”

Ms. Bowman said her husband then forced her and her baby to accompany him “while he disposed of her body.” Later, she found school books belonging to “Eileen Adams” in her kitchen, she testified.

Before the jury of nine women and three men heard Ms. Bowman’s testimony, Judge Gene Zmuda ruled that spousal privilege did not preclude her from testifying in the case with certain exceptions. Specifically, Ms. Bowman testified about what she observed, threats made against her and her then-newborn child, and statements Bowman made that the victim might have heard.

At Ms. Bowman’s request, the judge did not allow photos to be taken of her during her testimony.

Ms. Bowman, who has since divorced Bowman, said she called Toledo police in 1981 about what she saw that night. Prior to that, she testified that she had been too frightened to come forward.

When questioned by the defense, she acknowledged having moved several times with her husband and daughter in the ensuing years and that during those times, Bowman had been employed and successful. She said she separated from him in the mid-1970s, and that his success had crumbled after he became involved in what had been described as an “off-beat religion.”

According to witness testimony given late last week, the teenager was on her way to her sister’s West Toledo house after school Dec. 18, 1967, when she disappeared. Her body was found in a frozen Monroe County field Jan. 30, 1968.

Retired law enforcement officers testified during the first days of the trial that the victim was found bound in a rug with her hands tied and a cord connecting her neck to her ankles. A nail had been driven into the back of her skull.

Retired Toledo police Detective Dan Brimmer testified Monday that he was assigned the Adams murder case after Ms. Bowman came forward in 1981. He said he and retired Monroe County sheriff’s Detective Pete Navarre — who has testified — traveled to Florida in early 1982 to question Bowman.

At the time, Bowman was living in an abandoned, burned-out restaurant, Mr. Brimmer said. There, they found a Spider-Man doll with its wrists and ankles bound and a needle protruding from its head. They also found the head of a Ken doll with a nail driven into the back of its head, he testified.

Mr. Brimmer, who after retirement in 1988 married the older sister of Eileen Adams, Mary Ann, said Bowman teased the detectives with information, but “none of [his statements] amounted to a confession.”

Bowman was not arrested at the time, he acknowledged.

Years later, in 2009, the teenager’s body was exhumed and examined by several forensic anthropologists, including Steven Symes, a bone-trauma expert who testified via video Monday.

Mr. Symes testified in the video recorded July 27 that he was asked to examine the victim’s skull. He noted that it had at least three impact points in the front and four or more in the rear. The impacts were with such force that it caused a fracture that, in essence, split the skull in two, he testified.

Mr. Symes noted when questioned by defense attorney Pete Rost that his examination could not determine whether the victim was alive at the time the skull was fractured or who inflicted the injuries.

More witnesses are scheduled to testifyTuesday. The trial is expected to last through next week.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2011/0...ecret.html

Click above for comments......

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bowman Murder Trial Begins (Cold Ohio Case) - by NightOwl - 08-16-2011, 03:45 PM