Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Sky Metalwala, 2, missing. Washington state
Four years after Sky Metalwala was reported missing, Bellevue police say they are investigating new leads into the toddler's disappearance.

Chief Steve Mylett, who took over the department six months ago, said Sky's father, Solomon Metalwala, shared new information that may help investigators solve the case once and for all.

Sky, then nearly two years old, was reported missing on Nov. 6, 2011. His mother, Julia Biryukova, said she was driving with Sky and his sister, Maile, when their car ran out of gas.

Sky was sleeping in his car seat, she told police. Instead of waking him, she left with 4-year-old Maile and walked about a mile to a Chevron station.

When Biryukova and her daughter returned to the car, she said Sky was missing.

Police launched a massive search for the boy. Dad Solomon Metalwala pleaded with the public for help, but within days scrutiny turned to Julia. Police tested her car and found that it was not out of gas and found no other engine problems.

To this date, Biryukova has remained out of the public eye. Police say she has not spoken with them about her son's disappearance since the week she first reported him missing.

For Chief Mylett, finding Sky is personal.

"I'm a father of four, and so this is truly my worst nightmare," he said. "Losing one of my children would be terrible, and I can't imagine that I would be able to go on, but I'm sure I would."

Even before he moved to Bellevue for the job, Mylett said he was intrigued by the Metalwala case. Within weeks of taking over the department, he met Solomon at a public event about missing children. That encounter led to a private meeting that lasted several hours, during which Solomon shared details he said he uncovered during his own search for answers.

At that meeting, Mylett said investigators briefed Solomon on the case's status.

"We brought him up to speed where we are in the investigation, he shared additional info that he felt was relevant. There was dialogue between my detectives and Mr. Metawala," he said.

Mylett would not discuss the new leads his detectives are pursuing.

"I can't get into that," Mylett said. "I wish I could share the information that he shared with us. ... I'm not trying to be evasive here. There's things that he did share with us that we're following up on."

Solomon told KING 5 he shared a great deal of information during the meeting and isn't sure exactly what police found most helpful.

Solomon does believe that his ex-wife knows more about Sky's disappearance than she shared with police four years ago.

"One hundred percent, not a doubt in my mind. ... I know she knows what happened to Sky," he said.

Mylett said his department needs to talk with Julia Biryukova.

"She was the last adult that saw Sky. She has more info we need to locate this child, so again, I make the plea and invitation: please contact this police department and with your attorney present let's have a conversation about finding your son."

Asked if he can understand her reluctance to speak with police, Mylett said, "As a parent, no, I can't. I can't. As a police chief with close to 30 years as a cop, yeah, I can imagine why she wouldn't want to come in."

However, Biryukova's attorney told KING 5 via e-mail, "More than once Ms. Biryukova has talked to police. Now, I am advising her to stop."

Bellevue police maintain that she has not talked to them since the day she reported Sky missing, at which time she provided a timeline and her account of events.

Biryukova still lives in the area, but she wasn't home when a KING 5 reporter knocked on her door. Court records show she recently appeared before a judge in regard to a misdemeanor theft case in Kirkland -- a charge that was dropped by prosecutors.

While Mylett said he maintains some hope that Sky will be found alive, Solomon Metalwala does not speak like a father who believes his son is alive.

"I will always be his father. On this earth I don't see him, but in heaven we'll be together," Metalwala said. He lives on the Eastside and has sole custody of Sky's older sister, Maile. Police said that they ruled out Solomon Metawala as a suspect early on and since then he has been assisting them with their investigation, as well working with groups that support efforts to locate missing children nationwide.

Meanwhile, Mylett is reminded of Sky's case every day. One of his office walls is painted with a whiteboard finish, which the chief uses to sketch out ideas and plans for the department.

At the top, written in big letters, is: "Sky. Date Missing 11-6-11."

Mylett said Sky's name will stay in that prominent place for as long as he is chief or until the case is solved.

"Every day I see him, every evening when I'm leaving, he's the last thing I'm thinking about when I leave the department," he said.

Follow Linda Byron on Twitter -- @LByronK5.

This story first aired at 11 p.m. on Nov. 4, 2015.

this story is from King News and can be found at king5.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sky Metalwala, 2, missing. Washington state - by loveology11 - 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
RE: Sky Metalwala, 2, missing. Washington state - by heartbreaker6713 - 11-18-2015, 04:10 PM