Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Roasting for Dummies!!!!!
Holy shit this got weird!

Thank for the tips and I will try lamb! I would love great rub recipes and even marinades. Love to grill, but never felt comfortable to roast. But now I have a reason! I think I will try Roast first.

And cracker that recipe does sound good. I'll let you know!
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!Thumb_smiley-vault-signs-060
(12-17-2011, 02:04 AM)chinchillas2cool Wrote: Holy shit this got weird!

Welcome to Mock.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i just put a 20 lb turkey in the oven. not stuffed. my sons and i love roast turkey, so it doesn't have to be Thanksgiving. and fresh ones are on sale for .99 lb. a good deal for any meat! it will be done around 4 PM and we'll have turkey sandwiches tomorrow. i still have homemade cranberry sauce left from turkey day! Smiley_emoticons_slash
i'll bake some acorn squash with that.

i went outside to pick some fresh sage to stuff up the turkey's butt, and it was freezing! it had frost on it. haha but that sage plant survives each winter and is half as big as my car.

[Image: 4138026803_eba1dc0026.jpg]

bake with some butter, brown sugar and nutmeg.
[Image: PA1112_Baked_Acorn_Squash_e.jpg]

(12-16-2011, 04:21 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: ok this is not something you do every day. but for those thinking of lamb for Christmas...i sort of lost my mind today in the market and bought a 10 lb. fresh domestic leg of lamb. for $78.!! Smiley_emoticons_shocked
it was so beautiful i rationalized to myself, well it's Christmastime.
it's in cryovac (but not frozen!) and says sell-by Jan. 1. i'll use it before then.
it can be deboned and butterflied if you wish.

so here is what i will do with this investment:
i will make a simple marinade of rosemary, olive oil, garlic, shallots, pepper, a little fresh lemon juice, dry red wine. let it stand in the marinade overnight in fridge.

then roast it to well done which is my preference. many would only cook it to pink. nope.
LOTS of garlic, lots of rosemary. cut little incisions in the meat and insert garlic cloves.

[Image: 2466510-raw-leg-of-lamb-joint.jpg]

[Image: 4186908232_034076e98c.jpg]

That's a great meal right there, LC! We would have to negotiate the well done vs. pink situation, though. Smiley_emoticons_bussi
86 112
I don't care for lamb, even smothered in garlic it still has an odd taste.
(12-16-2011, 08:34 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: for $78. i could have probably bought a whole living lamb and had 4 legs and lamb chops too. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

THAT is my kind of girl right there
Roasted my chicken! Came out great! Roast is probaly next!
i'm either doing that lamb or this for Christmas dinner Sunday, i haven't decided yet. then i have a birthday dinner to make Tuesday. i am going to want nothing but salad for a week after all that red meat.

DO NOT COOK PRIME RIB WELL DONE! it's sacrilegious!! NOOOOOOOO

LATimes recipe

prime rib, amazingly easy to cook, even for rank beginners. The trick is concentrating on low and slow. Because these roasts are so huge and have so much mass, you want to cook them for a long time at a fairly low temperature in order to ensure you get an even range of doneness.

The other trick is being sure to let them rest for at least half an hour before carving. This allows the juices in the meat to settle back in, meaning there'll be more on the plate and less on the carving board.

Rib roast with tapenade

Total time: 2 12 hours

Servings: 8

6 ounces pitted black olives

3 cloves garlic, divided

4 anchovy filets

3 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed

About 14 cup red wine

1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) standing rib roast

Freshly ground pepper

34 cup fresh bread crumbs

12 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

Olive oil, optional

12 baguette slices, toasted

1. Pulse the olives, 2 cloves of garlic, the anchovies and rosemary leaves in a food processor. Add just enough red wine to allow the mixture to form a fairly smooth paste.

2. Score the fatty sides of the rib roast in a diamond pattern, using a sharp knife to cut through the fat but not into the meat. Smear the top and both sides of the roast with the olive mixture, season generously with pepper and let it stand at room temperature 30 to 45 minutes to marinate. Reserve any leftover olive mixture.

3. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Carefully transfer the rib roast to a shallow roasting pan, bone-side down. Disturb the olive smear as little as possible. Roast to an internal temperature of about 115 degrees. This will take about 2 hours.

4. In a food processor, pulse the bread crumbs, remaining clove of garlic and the 12 teaspoon of rosemary until the garlic is minced fine. Remove the roast from the oven and pat the seasoned bread crumbs over top. Spoon over some of the fat from the bottom of the pan and return the roast to the oven. (If there is very little fat, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the crumbs.) Continue roasting to an internal temperature of 125 degrees, about 20 minutes more.

5. Remove the roast from the oven, cover it loosely with foil and let it stand an additional 30 minutes before carving. Use the remaining tapenade to smear on the toasted baguette slices and serve it alongside the carved roast, dipped in the juices.

[Image: 6a00d8341c630a53ef015438b5305a970c-640wi]

Damn LC that rib roast sounds good!
(12-23-2011, 03:24 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: DO NOT COOK PRIME RIB WELL DONE! it's sacrilegious!! NOOOOOOOO

I bought a $170 prime rib for Christmas and fucked it up. I have a built in thermometer in the oven and it says in the manual 145 is medium rare. I know that's not right so I took it out at 130 and it came out medium. It wasn't well done, but it wasn't as rare as I would have liked it and my husband got kinda pissy over it. Oh well it made good steak and cheese subs the next day.

i was scared and untrusting of even new meat thermometer, so i took mine out at 120 internal degrees temp. i figured better underdone which can be fixed. you're right, it's too much money to fuck up. i am sure your medium was good...mine turned out perfect because i hovered over it and took its temp more than a feverish baby's.

(12-27-2011, 11:14 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: took its temp more than a feverish baby's.

hah Funny.

I could never be trusted to cook something so expensive.

I screwed up the yorkshire pudding too. After the roast was done I put the puddings in and forgot that the damn oven turns off automatically after the roast reached the desired temp. So the oven was just warm enough to make them stick to the cups but not cook all the way.

Normally I'm a good cook, there was just too much stuff going on with all the guests and the baby crying. I couldn't concentrate.
i know you're a good cook Sally, too much pressure on holidays! everyone expects perfection. especially from overworked women!

"Stuff going on" is code for "room spinning like crazy" 34
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
another, and easy method for prime rib...but this is a huge roast in recipe! adjust accordingly.

18-12 Pound prime rib roast of beef, tied between the ribs
Salt & Pepper

Preparation
Step 1

Preheat oven to 200°. Generously season roast all over with salt and pepper.
Step 2

Heat a heavy skillet large enough to accommodate the roast and sear the meaty sides of the roast until nicely browned, 5–10 minutes.
Step 3

Transfer the roast to a large roasting pan, rib side down, and roast in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 120° for rare, 130°–135° for medium-rare, and 140° for medium, 3–4½ hours.
Step 4

Transfer the roast beef to a carving board or a warm serving platter and let it rest for 30 minutes. Remove string before carving the roast.

[Image: canal-house-prime-rib.jpg]

If you don't start the prime rib on the outdoor grill it is screwed up from the start.

One hour on the grill the rest in the oven.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

another method i have used in the past that did work. but you needed to pay attention to that internal temp!

i would sear the hell out of it in a 500 degree oven for 20 minutes or so, then turn oven off and let it finish. i got a crisp exterior and rare interior that way.
i prefer less risky slow cooking with attentiveness.

(01-07-2012, 06:00 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: attentiveness.

That's my biggest problem in the kitchen. I know some woman get off on puttering around their kitchens "creating", it's like fuckin' hell to me. Cooking isn't something that one can learn to like either, I've tried, you either like it or you don't.

(01-07-2012, 06:14 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(01-07-2012, 06:00 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: attentiveness.

That's my biggest problem in the kitchen. I know some woman get off on puttering around their kitchens "creating", it's like fuckin' hell to me. Cooking isn't something that one can learn to like either, I've tried, you either like it or you don't.

hah this is such bullshit I don't even know where to start picking it apart.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams