Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OK it's not the Titanic
but there should have been no loss of life on a modern cruise behemoth. is that Canadian hag going to show up and sing that obnoxious song?

CNN
The coast guard said 50 to 70 people could be missing.

Rescue teams worked through the night to evacuate more than 4,000 people from the Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, after it ran aground off of Italy's western coast.

Rome (CNN) -- Italian authorities were questioning Saturday the captain of a cruise ship that ran aground, knocking the vessel on its side and killing at least three people, with dozens more missing, officials said.

The Italian captain, Francesco Schettino, was being interviewed by investigators Porto Santo Stefano on what happened when the 4,200-passenger Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, slammed into shallow water off Italy's western coast, said officer Emilio Del Santo of the Coastal Authorities of Livorno.

Authorities are looking at why the ship didn't hail a mayday during the accident near the Italian island of Giglio on Friday night, officials said.

"At the moment we can't exclude that the ship had some kind of technical problem, and for this reason moved towards the coast in order to save the passengers, the crew and the ship. But they didn't send a mayday. The ship got in contact with us once the evacuation procedures were already ongoing," Del Santo said.

"Fear and panic are comprehensible in a ship long over 300 meters with over 4000 passengers," Del Santo said. "We can confirm that the ship has a breach on the hull of about 90 meters, and that the right side of it is completely under water."

more photos at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/euro...?hpt=hp_t1

[Image: 120114110730-italy-ship-10-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

[Image: 120114103149-italy-ship-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

[Image: 120114102906-italy-ship-3-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

[Image: 120114103741-italy-ship-8-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

Tons of photos here as well. I can't believe there was a huge boulder embedded in the hull. What the hell happened?
Every night in my dreams, I see you, I feel you....
Where are the missing passengers?
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-14-2012, 02:56 PM)username Wrote: Where are the missing passengers?

swept to sea? trapped in submerged hull? don't know. :(

just breaking, no details, Captain is under arrest.

Manslaughter! WTH?
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-14-2012, 03:13 PM)username Wrote: Manslaughter! WTH?

i haven't read details anywhere yet. it could mean Capt. was drunk/impaired. why was no MAYDAY called? it could be involuntary manslaughter depending on marine law/applicable statute.

edit to add: Rome (CNN) -- The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground -- killing three persons and injuring 20 more -- was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.

I was in my car and heard it was manslaughter on the radio. No details from them either (although I think I heard he also abandoned ship or something). I need more coffee.
Commando Cunt Queen
[Image: article-2086527-0F7474AE00000578-838_634x481.jpg]

See that rock? It's hard to believe they couldn't have avoided that. Somebody seriously fucked up.

It had to be a group fuck up, right? A ship that size, you'd think there would be multiple people navigating at any given time.
Commando Cunt Queen
wow. ^

it seems Captain Francesco Schettino said it was an "unmarked rock". i don't know if he means it was not on charts.

[Image: 216900-costa-cruises-accident.jpg]

Was the rock supposed to have a big florescent orange X on it, glowing up from underneath the water?
(01-14-2012, 03:40 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Was the rock supposed to have a big florescent orange X on it, glowing up from underneath the water?

no, but like submerged reefs, it should be seen on marine charts.

(i know you're kidding)

(01-14-2012, 03:40 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: Was the rock supposed to have a big florescent orange X on it, glowing up from underneath the water?

All of the possible obstacles in the shipping lanes are well marked, this one was more than likely not in the shipping lanes by the looks of it.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Sonar.
We hit a sandbar off the coast of France once and had to be dry docked in Marseilles for a month the Captain was relieved of command. Best hash in the world there, I would trade a carton of cigarettes for 100 grams of hash then put it in my coffee and goof off all day. Good times. hah
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
[Image: cap_2109325b.jpg]

Telegraph
Earlier Saturday Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia, had told Italian television that the vessel had hit a rocky spur while cruising in waters which, according to the charts, should have been safe.

"As we were navigating at cruise speed, we hit a rocky spur," he told Tgcom24 television station:

"According to the nautical chart, there should have been sufficient water underneath us," he added.

CNN stated the abandoning ship charge was the more serious of the charges! WTF about manslaughter?

breach on hull

[Image: 120114055115-italy-ship-13-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

this doesn't look like photo of him in post 18. ^ maybe taken years apart.

[Image: article-2086527-0F75FE7000000578-932_634x446.jpg]

The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, Francesco Schettino is taken into custody in Grosseto, Italy

(01-14-2012, 04:10 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: [Image: cap_2109325b.jpg]

Telegraph
Earlier Saturday Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia, had told Italian television that the vessel had hit a rocky spur while cruising in waters which, according to the charts, should have been safe.

"As we were navigating at cruise speed, we hit a rocky spur," he told Tgcom24 television station:

"According to the nautical chart, there should have been sufficient water underneath us," he added.

CNN stated the abandoning ship charge was the more serious of the charges! WTF about manslaughter?

breach on hull

[Image: 120114055115-italy-ship-13-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

So much for the safety of double hulled cruise ships.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams