Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2 dead. 2 girls free. mayes dead. it's over.
Adam Mayes has ties to upstate SC

A dangerous man whom authorities say killed a Tennessee woman and her teenage daughter and fled with her two younger girls in a kidnapping plot has ties to Cherokee County, his brother said Wednesday.

Federal Bureau of Investigation agents and authorities from Mississippi and Tennessee are searching for Adam Christopher Mayes, 35, who they believe killed Jo Ann Bain, 31, and her daughter, 14-year-old Adrienne Bain. The bodies of the women were found May 4 in a shallow grave behind the mobile home in Guntown, Miss., where Mayes and his wife, Teresa, lived with his parents.

Adam Mayes was rushed to the top of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list Wednesday, taking the place of Boston mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger who was captured last year.

Jo Ann's husband, Gary, reported his wife and three stepdaughters missing on April 27 from Whiteville, Tenn. Police contacted Mayes, who admitted to being the one to last see the women before their disappearance, but he soon fled with Alexandria Bain, 12, and Kyliyah Bain, 8, according to police.

Police now say the killings were a part of Adam Mayes' plot to kidnap the younger girls, the Associated Press reports.

Teresa Mayes, who now faces aggravated kidnapping charges, has since told police she drove her husband, the two younger girls and the bodies of Jo Ann Bain and Adrienne Bain from their home in Hardeman County, Tenn., to the Guntown, Miss., residence.

Investigators believe the younger girls are still alive, but Mayes may have changed their appearances by dying or cutting their hair.

The homicides and disappearances have been widely reported in national media outlets, but little has been reported on Adam Mayes' childhood and family.

Johnny Lee Mayes II, who now lives in Cowpens, said Wednesday that he and Adam Mayes are two of six siblings raised by their parents, Johnny and Mary Frances Mayes. Mary Frances Mayes is originally from Gaffney and still has relatives here, said Johnny Mayes II, 44.

“When we were growing up, we moved around everywhere,” Johnny Mayes II said. “That's why my brother has ties to places all over the country, because we lived sort of this nomadic lifestyle. ... I don't know why.
We lived in the Carolinas for most of our lives. And I settled in Cowpens, and they moved to Tennessee.”

Johnny Mayes II said the family once lived in Texas for nine years, the longest period they stayed anywhere.

Mary Frances Mayes, their mother, has been charged with four counts of conspiracy to commit especially aggravated kidnapping.

Mary Frances Mayes and Teresa Mayes watched Adam Mayes dig a hole behind the Mississippi mobile home where the bodies of the two females were eventually discovered, the AP reports. Teresa Mayes' sister later called authorities after she learned of the incident.

Johnny Mayes II has had little contact with his siblings or parents since 1996, until six months ago when his sister, Pamela Bain, reached out to him.

There are reports that Adam Mayes and Gary Bain were once married to sisters, but Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Kristin Helm said that is not correct. Helm confirmed Wednesday that Gary Bain and Adam Mayes became acquainted when Gary and Pamela Bain were married years ago. After their divorce, Adam Mayes kept in touch with Gary Bain, who later married Jo Ann Bain.

Jo Ann Bain's daughters considered Adam Mayes an “uncle” and a close family friend.

Johnny Mayes II said his mother and Adam Mayes, the youngest of the Mayes children, had a close relationship.

“She didn't have feelings for any of us except Adam,” said Johnny Mayes II, who described his brother as self-centered, egotistical and controlling, particularly with his parents.

Pamela Bain called her brother, Johnny Mayes II, a couple of days after the incident to tell him that Adam Mayes was wanted in connection with the killings and the kidnapping of the two girls.

“I always thought (Adam Mayes) was trouble and that it was just a matter of time before something bad would happen with him, but I never thought he would kill someone,” Johnny Mayes II said. “I'm still shocked.”

Johnny Mayes II said his relationship with his mother has always been strained, due mostly to her mental issues and mood swings, but he never thought she would be involved in a kidnapping.
“She was cruel as a mother,” he said. “There was neglect, mostly mental abuse in our childhood, but I didn't think she would be capable of that.”

Johnny Mayes II didn't want to confirm the whereabouts of his father because authorities are still searching for Adam Mayes. Johnny Mayes II said his father also has some mental problems and is in failing health.

“What I want people to know is that my brother has ties to this area, and if they see him, to call 911,” Johnny Mayes II said. “He could be anywhere, and somebody is going to have to put a stop to him.”

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jo Ann Bain (dead) and 3 daughters (1 dead) AMBER ALERT TN - by Nina - 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM