Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.33 Average
Mickey Shunick, murdered. 22, La. vanished riding her bike
OceanMetTheSky Offline
Virgin

RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike

I feel differently. I feel she is alive for some reason, which is not usually a feeling I have when someone goes missing.
However, that could the massive amount of positive support coming in surrounding her case that makes me feel like that.... Hope not though.

I don't know for how long she will be alive. But the fact that there has not been anything found to actually lead to the idea that she was killed makes me believe she might be alive.

I still find it really weird how it's going to be coming up on a week of her disappearing in a few days, and there is still nothing really as far as leads.

Yeah, it's bad that they waited so long to view security tapes. And AFTER it rained horribly to bring in the K-9s.

05-23-2012 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

The best reason that I can think of that her abductor took her bike is that he clipped her with a vehicle and didn't want the paint from his own left as evidence. I highly doubt that she could have been lured into getting off her bike.

When I looked at Brettly's photos, and his girlfriend's, these kids resonated with me. Looks like they're into vegetarian cooking and animals, caring about others, riding to raise money for affordable housing, and just lots of highly conscious, good things for kids to be doing. Even Mickey's major, anthropology, shows a passion for people and life. The Lafayette community looks amazing with so many people volunteering and helping in this awful search. Her friends have done such a good job with organizing searches and color coding maps with what's been searched, her possible routes. They couldn't have their shit together more and still nothing. It's a sickening, sinking feeling that these efforts have proved fruitless. I think this was a stranger abduction and that LC is probably right :( Such a nice family with great girls. Just the kind of girls that anyone would be so pleased to have for daughters. Mickey is not the common victim type - a prostitute or street person. I would not be surprised if this is a serial killer.

05-23-2012 02:12 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

(05-23-2012 01:51 PM)OceanMetTheSky Wrote:  I feel differently. I feel she is alive for some reason, which is not usually a feeling I have when someone goes missing.
However, that could the massive amount of positive support coming in surrounding her case that makes me feel like that.... Hope not though.

I don't know for how long she will be alive. But the fact that there has not been anything found to actually lead to the idea that she was killed makes me believe she might be alive.

I still find it really weird how it's going to be coming up on a week of her disappearing in a few days, and there is still nothing really as far as leads.

Yeah, it's bad that they waited so long to view security tapes. And AFTER it rained horribly to bring in the K-9s.

Ocean, I hope you're right and I had that same feeling when I first read about her. I, too, don't usually get a feeling like that. I felt a real sense of urgency. With this amount of time having passed, I'm not too hopeful. However, I hope the search remains aggressive with the goal that she can still be found alive.

05-23-2012 02:18 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

like you both and all her friends, i hope she's alive.

here's the jaded cop's view:

someone saw the pretty little alone & vulnerable girl. it's 0200. (they had been out at a club earlier.)

she didn't run away and put her family though this torture, a nice girl. it was her brother's graduation and her own birthday. not a voluntary absence.

so what does that leave?

a kidnapper won't keep someone too long, too risky. Elizabeth Smart notwithstanding.

best case scenario she's a prisoner in a vehicle and will find a moment to escape. doubtful.

i WISH to be wrong.

05-23-2012 02:36 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

A lot of good her mace did her. Do we all need to carry in this day and age? Seems like it.

05-23-2012 03:06 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

So, LC, should girls be armed? That sounds extreme but a gun greatly increases the chances of being able to defend ones self in such a scenario. Why not a .22 instead of mace? I would rather struggle with my gun and take the risk of getting shot than to be killed by an abductor.

05-23-2012 03:31 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

Wow, that's weird. I posted a video (post number 34) and then made my post to LC asking about guns and that overrode the video post!

05-23-2012 03:36 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

my admonition is this...don't carry anything that can be taken away from you and used against you. be SURE of your ability.
don't appear to be victim material.
sorry, but women need to use common sense about when and where to be out and about. whether it's fair or not.

commercial mace/pepper spray is probably useless. sometimes if you get a shot of it off you just piss off the assailant even more.

i don't mean any of this to indicate women need to be passive victims. but they do need to be proactive and sensible. to use reasonable caution.

i do say scream, bite, kick, gouge, scratch, whatever it takes to break away. if you are armed be ready to shoot to kill.

no, i deleted your post 34 that was blank. no video.

i am bothered LE has had no presser.

vigil in the park last night

[Image: RobinMay_120522_8684.jpg]

[Image: IMG_02721.jpg?w=630&h=354&am...p;amp;q=89]

05-23-2012 03:38 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

(05-23-2012 03:38 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:  my admonition is this...don't carry anything that can be taken away from you and used against you. be SURE of your ability.
don't appear to be victim material.
sorry, but women need to use common sense about when and where to be out and about. whether it's fair or not.

commercial mace/pepper spray is probably useless. sometimes if you get a shot of it off you just piss off the assailant even more.

i don't mean any of this to indicate women need to be passive victims. but they do need to be proactive and sensible. to use reasonable caution.

i do say scream, bite, kick, gouge, scratch, whatever it takes to break away. if you are armed be ready to shoot to kill.

no, i deleted your post 34 that was blank. no video.

It seems almost crazy to think that a young woman needs to pack but I think it's prudent (stand your ground becoming all the more important!). Even living life cautiously, women can find themselves in vulnerable situations (parking lots and ramps, for instance). Thing is, I don't know how feasible that is because if you carry a gun it needs to be on your person at all times. In a case like Mickey, a college kid could go into a bar, spend the night with friends, ect, and then what do you with your gun? You can't just stick it in your backpack.

05-23-2012 03:53 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

ok this will seem farfetched...

i just listened to Brettly on JVM. JVM asked him if they were romantic. he said he used to date a friend of hers. it didn't work out. and he and Mickey got "closer" but it was "platonic which was OK"... so my mind went right away to she rejected him romantically. fill in the rest.

reward is capped at 25 K

05-23-2012 07:28 PM

Jimbone Offline
Now with more intolerance!

Hmmm, i wonder if that little squirrel did it.

It's astonishing to me how people can simply vanish without a findable trace.

05-23-2012 07:38 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

well my fevered cop brain works overtime! hah
i look at all the possibilities, nomatter how out there they may seem. mostly because i am suspicious of everyone. has this kid taken a poly? we don't know.

it was reported they are now searching a lake for "clues". probably looking for bike, purse, phone. and a body.

05-23-2012 07:44 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

I know he has to be closely looked at but those kinds of things happen between friends and they don't end in murder! One of my closest male friends, who is still like family to me today, was always wanting it to be more. Brettly has a very pretty GF, now, and she was his GF sometime before Mickey went missing. Still, I know, he was last one with her.

I read somewhere that the HS CCTV showed her on her bike, half way through her bike route. I don't know if that's true, though. If it is, he would much less suspect. If it's not true then it remains a question.

05-23-2012 08:07 PM

shitstorm Offline
Mocker

Here's Brettly's Statigram photo page:

http://statigr.am/bwil9891

An aside: That's some of the best looking food I've ever seen. Dunno if he works at a restaurant or is just into cooking. His GF's page also has food pics.

Brettly's GF's page:

http://statigr.am/rebeccaadele

05-23-2012 08:35 PM