Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Mickey Shunick, murdered. 22, La. vanished riding her bike
clipped a little bit from quoted post by SS
(05-28-2012, 04:05 PM)shitstorm Wrote: Just that even locals say it creeps them out. I-10 is a 19 mile long bridge or raised highway there because of the swamps/basin. That exit has nothing at it - no gas station, no bathrooms, nothing. IOW, you don't get off there unless you have a reason like fishing or hunting. My best friend lives in Houston and her father was born and raised in Houston bayou country. He's a real southerner, in his 70s. His career was laying cable for off shore rigs. He went into the basin because there was supposed to be good eating. He found some bar that was a shack on stilts and served whatever the hell it is they catch and eat down there. He said those cajun boys looked at him like he was from Mars. Fortunately, he was scruffy from getting back from the Gulf and he IS a good ole boy, himself, so they ended up being cool with him. Unless you've been around like he has and you know the ways of those folks, I don't think you have any business in there. My girl friend said it may as well be another country. I think that places like that conjure up a huge fear of the unknown. It's difficult terrain that the locals know the back of their hand and outsiders don't, which puts them at a huge disadvantage. It's like any vast and remote place, I suppose, but with water all over and alligators *shudder*
I'm sure that lots of southern Louisiana people would get a chuckle out of those of us who find it spooky. Or not. My Texas friend said "think Deliverance, only worse" and I believe her.

Here's the wiki on the basin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_Basin

Thanks for all the info Shitstorm.

To me, this seems a little creepier of a turn than I'd expected. Not that I ever had the idea that they'd find mickey picking flowers in a field somewhere but idk...now there's a bunch of "what if" scenarios popping into my head.

Also, interesting to hear the detail about the bike being submerged in water. Since the reporters say that detail came from the Lafayette Police Chief, im entertaining that idea, for now at least. With things like this I always want to know more than LE wants the general public to know. Such as: when the fisherman found it, what did they see first that made them actually take note and decide it was something they should take a look at and notify LE about. Did they see the glittery gold handlebars? was there part of one or both of the tires sticking up out of the water? bike on it's side maybe? How deep and vast was this body of water that the bike was found in: deep puddle? pond? bigger area of the marsh?

but then there's this too:
(I've resized the pic, just bc we dont NEED the file so large in 2 different posts, the post by LC is #119 if you want to go back and check it out full size)

(05-28-2012, 02:37 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: WAFB TV

bike found here

[Image: 30bkyle.jpg]

It's a different tv station (KSLA reported later the submerged in water detail, and that photo of where the bike was found is from WAFB) is one (or both) wrong with the info they are reporting? or does is just so happen to be that because of the angle of the photo we cannot see the water where the bike was supposedly submerged?

im a curious bitch

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - by koko - 05-29-2012, 12:22 PM