Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend
Prosecution Witnesses - Day 2

Got to sleep in a bit this morning -- only saw the last half hour of court today.

This is based on reports from live Twitter coverage.

Prosecution Witness 1, Ms. Burger, back on the stand
Ms. Burger was back on the stand and Roux continued his cross-examination, more of the same questions trying to get different answers from the witness. Finally, prosecutor Nel objected and the judge agreed that all had been asked and answered repeatedly. Burger was reportedly in tears and exhausted when she was dismissed, but held up well. Very strong witness, IMO.

Don't know if this trial is a fair representation of general court proceedings in South Africa, but the defense attorney here is getting a lot more leeway in terms of badgering and conduct, and the prosecutor and judge are much more laid back and less authoritative than in the US.

Prosecution Witness 2 called: Pistorius Neighbor, Ms. Van der Merwe
She was a weak witness and was handled much more gently on cross-examination by Roux than was the state's first witness, Ms. Burger.

Roux said that Oscar's bathroom and bedroom are on opposite side of house to Ms. Van der Merwe, but yet she says "I was terribly frightened (when I heard the shots). I sat up in bed. It was a long time ago and I can't remember any more". Roux suggested that Van der Merwe didn't hear any argument.

Van der Merwe answered quietly, "yes, I did" then admitted that she cannot say whether there was silence before the shots.

IMO, she's not an asset for the prosecution, nor a problem for the defense - too unsure and leaves the door open for Roux to claim she heard Oscar screaming only, not Reeva.

Messages In This Thread
RE: OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend - by HairOfTheDog - 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by Duchess - 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM