Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend
HEATED CROSS-EXAMINATION ENDS FOR THE WEEK - NEL GETS CHASTISED FOR CALLING PISTORIUS A LIAR

Nel, known in South African legal circles for his bulldog-like approach to cross-examination, responded to Pistorius' testimony almost with scorn.

"Your version is so improbable that nobody would ever think that it was reasonably, possibly true," he said.

Nel then hammered Pistorius on whether he had known Steenkamp was in the toilet when he fired.

"You knew Reeva was behind the door, and you shot at her," Nel said more than once.

"That's not true," Pistorius replied in a low tone.

^ This is Nel grilling Pistorius about how little sense it makes that Reeva would not have screamed or communicated if he screamed at her to call police, as he contends -- he was right outside the toilet door and she was right behind it.

That dramatic moment was when Nel asked for the trial to be adjourned until Monday morning.

Pistorius earlier denied being "ready to shoot" as he made his way to the bathroom where he says he heard what he thought was an intruder.

But he agreed that he had taken off the safety catch so he could fire if needed. "I didn't want to take anybody's life. I screamed for the intruders to get out of my home," he said.

"You wanted to shoot," contended Nel, who on Thursday sought to build a picture of Pistorius as an arrogant hothead who is reckless with guns.

Pistorius replied that there is a "massive difference" between being ready for something and wanting to do it.

Asked by the prosecutor why he approached the apparent threat rather than seeking to move out of harm's way, the athlete said it was his in his nature to respond that way.

"I wanted to put myself between the perceived danger and Reeva," he said. "I wish I did all these other things put to me."

Nel also focused on security on the gated Silverwoods estate where Pistorius lived, pointing out that despite his claimed fear of burglary, the athlete left his cars outside and had not immediately fixed a broken window in his house. (Good point by Nel.)

Full summary/story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/11/world/...ius-trial/

Messages In This Thread
RE: OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend - by HairOfTheDog - 04-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by Duchess - 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM