Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend
(05-14-2014, 07:34 AM)Duchess Wrote: The judge is sending Oscar for a complete mental examination.

I just read about it. I'm not sure what to think about this development and delay in terms of its impacts on possible verdicts and sentencing. What if Pistorius does convince the psychiatrists that he is mentally ill? What if he doesn't? Will dive into the possible implications when I get some time later today.

[Image: ff6c5c6a-5257-4ff8-8653-91f963acc29a-620x372.jpeg]
^ Pistorius doesn't look too upset, but that's just one photo.

Here's the rundown:
-Nel wanted the evaluation so Pistorius can't use the issue of an anxiety disorder, which was brought up at trial at the very last minute and by surprise, as a grounds for appeal if it's not considered and he's convicted.

-Roux said it's not necessary and he still had others witnesses to call.

-Pistorius told reporters yesterday that Nel's application for it was "a joke"

-Judge Masipa said this in her ruling today:
Mental illness and mental defects are morbid disorders that are not capable of being diagnosed by a lay court without expert psychiatric evidence.

The accused may not have raised the issue that he was not criminally responsible at the time of the incident in so many words, but evidence led on his behalf clearly raised the issue and cannot be ignored.

A referral inevitably means more delays in finalising this matter but this is not about anyone's convenience, but rather about whether justice has been served.

Masipa said the decision to refer Pistorius was not intended to "punish him twice".

We'll learn more details about the terms of the psych eval when court reconvenes on Tuesday, but the trial is on hold for at least 30 days.

Ref:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guar...0x372.jpeg

Messages In This Thread
RE: OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend - by HairOfTheDog - 05-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by Duchess - 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM