Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend
(08-08-2014, 12:14 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(08-08-2014, 12:08 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: -He said that Pistorius responded to the perceived threat of an intruder in the same way that an "abused woman" would.
Oh man. That's some kinda nerve.

I really couldn't believe that Roux went there. It was insulting to abused women and legally imprudent. Judge Masipa questioned him about making such a comparison.

Here's a more detailed account of that exchange in court today.

Oscar Pistorius’ lawyers have compared the athlete to an abused woman who has been punched too many times.

During his closing argument today, defence advocate Barry Roux said the effect of Pistorius having no legs and no ability to escape was similar to the “slow burn” of a woman leading up to the shooting of an abusive spouse.

“Ultimately, when that woman picks up that firearm we can use the common words ‘I’ve had enough’.

I’m not shooting you because you’ve just assaulted me. I would never have shot you because of one punch of a fist in my face, but if you’ve done it 60, 70 times that [fills] the cup to the brim,” said Roux.

Pistorius is on trial for shooting dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day last year.

Judge Thokozile Masipa said she understood how a slow burn could apply to an abused woman, but wanted to know how it applied to Pistorius.

Roux replied: “You’re a little boy without legs, you experience daily that disability and the effect of this, you experience daily that you cannot run away.

You know: ‘I cannot run away, I cannot run away I don’t have a flight response’.”

Roux pointed out that he was not saying Pistorius suffered “slow burn” abuse but “the word was for the first time used in relation to abuse”.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/pistoriu...sed-woman/

It's pretty much as Crash described it upthread; "The Poor Oscar Defense". It's a load of bullshit, IMO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: OSCAR PISTORIUS MURDER TRIAL: the blade runner oscar pistorius shoots girlfriend - by HairOfTheDog - 08-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 06:50 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by Duchess - 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM
RE: Bouncy Man - by afraidforallofus - 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM