Man bites dog
Some situations require crude methods for resolution, and biting a dog probably isn't an answer one would give if asked how one would fend off a dog attack, but a man from Grimes, Iowa, did just that when a dog viciously went after his wife. As The Inquisitr reported May 4, when his options were reduced to nothing else, the man bit the dog that was biting his wife.

Caren Henry were just walking their beagle this past weekend in rural Madrid, according to WHO-TV, when a large Labrador retriever mix ran out of its yard and launched itself at her. The dog bit her on the right thigh and stomach, puncturing both areas, and then went for her face, biting at her eyes before sinking his teeth into her nose. According to the Des Moines Register, "the dog clamped on her nose and tore it off."

Then the big dog attacked the beagle.

Laine Henry was driving to pick up his wife when he saw the attack and leapt to his wife's defense.

“Caren turned and looked at me and I seen her face was nothing but blood," he told WHO, "so I bit the dog literally in the nose and he let go and I grabbed our dog and I grabbed her and I put them in our pick-up and took off.”

But he didn't get away unscathed. The dog bit him on the left arm.

But the wounded woman counts her blessings. “It could have been so much worse,” she told the Register. “If I hadn’t been wearing my sunglasses, I’m sure I would be missing an eye. If it had gotten ahold of my throat, I’d be dead.”

"Worse" is a matter of degree, apparently, but as it is, she'll have to undergo several reconstructive operations to repair her nose area. Doctors will take cartilage from her ears and other areas of her body to do the work. Her husband also suffered from the bite he received. The bite to his arm became infected and he was forced to take a few days off work as a heavy machinery operator.

The offending dog is under a 14-day test and watch procedure. If it passes all health tests, it will be returned to its own. Dallas County does not have a vicious dog ordinance (which would require criminal penalties to be brought against the dog’s owner and could potentially lead to the animal being put down). In fact, authorities at present aren't certain who actually owns the animal. The man whose yard the dog escaped from maintains that the animal isn't his, that he occasionally keeps him for another man who is homeless. However, neighbors have told the Henrys' attorney that the dog is at the residence it escaped from most of the time.

A fund has been set up for the Henrys' expenses at the City State Bank in Madrid.